Observation Hive Question

Question Observation Hive Question

I have an Ulster observation hive from Brushy Mountain: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...uctinfo/MU501/

My wife asked me to bring some bees to her work for pollinator awareness. It shouldn't stress a nuc too badly if I moved them into the observation hive for a day, right? They'd be closed up in the hive for a good part of the day but I'd leave the ventilation open and do common sense things like keeping them out of direct sun and cool.

I appreciate any feedback in advance.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Observation Hive Question

Pretend the hive is a puppy. Keep it from getting too hot, too cold or not enough air and it should do fine for a day. I take observation hives to things all the time. I have a Tew hive from Brushy Mt. that I have converted to take anything from a Dadant Deep to a shallow frame. It's a one frame demo hive. I grab a frame with the queen and go to my demo... I also have an Ulster and it is actually more robust as they have more bees to control things.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Default Re: Observation Hive Question

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Pretend the hive is a puppy. Keep it from getting too hot, too cold or not enough air and it should do fine for a day. I take observation hives to things all the time. I have a Tew hive from Brushy Mt. that I have converted to take anything from a Dadant Deep to a shallow frame. It's a one frame demo hive. I grab a frame with the queen and go to my demo... I also have an Ulster and it is actually more robust as they have more bees to control things.
    That's a great explanation. Thanks for replying Mr. Bush!
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only