Medium nuc installed in super??

Default Medium nuc installed in super??

I picked up my nuc yesterday morning and made a pretty large (or medium) oversight. It was a medium frame nuc, and my Apimaye hive is a deep. Luckily I had ordered a medium and deep super for later, so I put the medium super on and put the nuc in it with the bottom deep filled with 10 empty frames.

I went back and forth on putting the medium frames in my deep hive, but decided to put the medium super on and once they build down into the deep body I will put in the queen excluder and the let whatever brood is in the medium super hatch and eventually it will just be honey. I do not want double brood boxes, so this really threw a wrench in my whole plan.

Was my decision to start the hive in a super better than just putting the medium frames in the lower deep hive?? Just seemed like them building down on the medium frames would make it a real pain to convert over to all deep frames later.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Medium nuc installed in super??

You did the right thing. If you had put medium frames in the deep box it's very likely the bees would have made a mess of comb below those frames.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Beekeeping often has plans change on the fly, you just had one so you react and move forward. in a while they will move down then fill from the top so once the queen is in the bottom then yes you can exclude, make sure you have an upper entrance if there is drones or drone brood in the upper after the excluder is added.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Goose View Post
    Beekeeping often has plans change on the fly, you just had one so you react and move forward. in a while they will move down then fill from the top so once the queen is in the bottom then yes you can exclude, make sure you have an upper entrance if there is drones or drone brood in the upper after the excluder is added.
    GG
    Ah!! Didn't think about the drones needing to get out of the hive. Good catch. Thanks!

Box size is only box (and frame) size. But whether any particular box, of any size, is a super, or not ,depends wholly on its use. (Both by the beekeeper and the bees.) All my supers (i.e. honey collecting boxes and frames) are standard 9 and 3/8ths inch deeps.) All my brood boxes are also the same size. (Though GregV's extra deep ones have me thinking....)

Worst mistake I ever made in beekeeping was putting a lot of medium frames in a deep box. An occasional one isn't a bad thing, though the bees will length it willy-nilly, and sometimes its the only one you have at hand, or need to use. MARK IT so you know what to expect when you pull it out!

Nancy

Uh oh, Nancy, I was already not looking forward to getting into a hive I have that has two boxes of medium frames in deep boxes. I purchased an overwintered nuc last year that turned out to be 15 frames of mediums! I've standardized on all deep boxes, and didn't think to ask about the frame size until I picked them up, so both bottom boxes are this way. Over the summer I was tearing up the upper box insides just in the process of lifting off that second brood box, so I didn't even try to lift out the frames in the bottom box after awhile. I figured the cluster would move up into my third box over the winter, and I could just reverse and shrink down to the one box, and start over building up in empty deep frames on a second new box above. I'm sure it's a mess in those two bottom boxes, but just figured I could swap them out and clean up later. Am nervous now that I haven't thought this through and am missing something re how to deal with that this spring.

What made that your worst mistake? Do you have any suggestions re my planned recovery plan? The hive is alive - not as robust as my other hive, but I'm optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewater View Post
    Uh oh, Nancy, I was already not looking forward to getting into a hive I have that has two boxes of medium frames in deep boxes. I purchased an overwintered nuc last year that turned out to be 15 frames of mediums! I've standardized on all deep boxes, and didn't think to ask about the frame size until I picked them up, so both bottom boxes are this way. Over the summer I was tearing up the upper box insides just in the process of lifting off that second brood box, so I didn't even try to lift out the frames in the bottom box after awhile. I figured the cluster would move up into my third box over the winter, and I could just reverse and shrink down to the one box, and start over building up in empty deep frames on a second new box above. I'm sure it's a mess in those two bottom boxes, but just figured I could swap them out and clean up later. Am nervous now that I haven't thought this through and am missing something re how to deal with that this spring.

What made that your worst mistake? Do you have any suggestions re my planned recovery plan? The hive is alive - not as robust as my other hive, but I'm optimistic.
    Edgewater, there are several options, Slowly ,, each time you are in the hive, place one of the medium frames on the outside edge of the brood box, next visit it "likely" will be brood free and mostly honey, Take 1 or 3 or how ever many out and do crush and strain. Add deep comb frames back into the center, and push more medium frames out to the edges. All at once,, shake 10 of the medium frames enough to insure the Queen is not on them , place an excluder, on the hive and put the mediums on top to be filled. Harvest during your normal honey harvest. Cut the extra off the bottom , crush and strain. Extract the medium frame if you extract. Give the frame back to the Beek you got the NUC from, or buy a couple medium boxes and use as a supper. Or patiently wait for a spring when the hive is dead out and deal with it then. so a couple at a time or 10 at a time or do it later, whatever you feel comfortable with.
    GG

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewater View Post

I run all mediums, but have been phasing out deeps. I've had lots of frames that the bees have built comb under to extend them downwards. It really hasn't been an issue. My suggestion is to cut the extra bottom off the mediums, install that comb into a deep frame and move the mediums up. Then you don't waste comb, have your mediums where you want, and have partially drawn out deeps. Painters tape works well to hold the comb in place until the bees secure it. I am going foundationless to help with the varroa. The key there is to be gentle with the frames, especially the newer comb. Just don't turn it too horizontal and it is fine.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida