Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

My observation hive, best design? I think so.

9K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  humm 
#1 ·
See less See more
#9 ·
Toe, I don't know exactly how much empty, but guess about 20-30 lb. And guess somewhere around 100-125 if full, but it doesn't matter because the most I will be carrying is one frame. The whole hive will stay permanent and I will only take one frame module out at a time.

WV, will do.

Rv, yes as cold weather hit us this week. And way better than t.v

Tim, you are correct. And that is something that I wonder about too and will keep everyone up to date as it grows and glues.

#12 ·
At work, so I couldn't watch the video with sound. Also didn't have a spare 30 min to watch all of it, so had to spot check a few spots here or there.

Neat design, but from personal experience sliding mechanisms in an observation hive usually don't work out too well. If you keep everything coated with Vaseline, it helps considerably though.

I'll have to take your word on how bee proof all of those mechanisms are. I sure wouldn't want to try it out myself.

#14 ·
I've thought about building something similar myself. I see so many positives in the design, and it seems workable, but I see it being a bit problematic with the bees gluing the sections together. Maybe a narrow slide should be kept in the slots between sections to keep the gap plugged up so the bees won't be as apt to fill the gap in. If the slides had a flange you could get a hold of with piers to pull them out without too much trouble, I think that might work. Trying to get sections apart by prying up would not work so well once they get stacked high and heavy.

Another problem I see with the 1 frame width and the fixed glass is that it looks like cleaning the glass would be tough with the space being so narrow between them. Anybody see that as much of a hassle?

I like it though. I want to try it myself. I would like to try both a 1 frame width and a 3 or 4 frame.

#15 ·
Another problem I see with the 1 frame width and the fixed glass is that it looks like cleaning the glass would be tough with the space being so narrow between them. Anybody see that as much of a hassle?
I guess it depends on the material. If he's using actual glass, it wouldn't be hard to stick a scraper down in there to scrape the sides. But then again, glass usually isn't the preferred method of construction in an observation hive due to breakage and weight issues. If he's using lexan, I think it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to clean.

Personally, I had 1/4" safety glass cut for my observation hive. A little bit on the expensive side, but it cleans like glass and is as secure as lexan. Down side is weight.

Ultimately, Pick your poison.

Mine, for those interested

http://i669.photobucket.com/albums/vv54/JustinWKay/IMG_20110131_073224.jpg

And how I built it: http://www.beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=30161.0

#16 · (Edited)
That was an awesome thread to read kayme! Looks great. I like the lazy Susan design, but felt mine was too tall to add it, plus with everything else going on, during my build, sometimes wondered if all the extra work involved was worth it compared to the free design build on this site. But after its done, I think it was.

There are only a few joints that are glued. Everything else comes apart and is replaceable, including the panels. I used plexi because of cost and ease of cutting myself. If they become scratched up and unclear, I can easily slide them out and slide new ones in.
I also made extras so I won't have to have a frame of bees waiting for me to repair their house. Lol

Humm, time will tell on the cracks getting full of prop. (And already thinking of Vaseline as kayme mentioned) As far as the bottom frame being heavy from all the others stacked on it. It doesn't work that way, that's why the cracks are there. Each frame rest it's weight on the hive support bracket and the only weight the bottom one has on it is the weight of that one frame inside it. Hope that makes sense.

#18 ·
As far as the bottom frame being heavy from all the others stacked on it. It doesn't work that way said:
Yeah, I caught that, I was just commenting that they couldn't be pried apart. Is there anything you would do different?

Did you finally get the new bees to get accepted?

Nice job, by the way, and I hope you make some more videos for us.

#19 ·
Oh, sorry. I do now think you understand more than I gave you credit.

New bees are not accepting her and have made 1 Queen cell. I have been sliding the screen open and letting about 20 bees in to her every few hours. They are old winter bees that have spent a lot of time with their old Queen and I think that is making them more stubborn. I posted a video update on my Facebook page, but Facebook won't allow me to copy paste it. YouTube from now on. I will post another update when I kill the cell.

Thanks, I hope I don't stat neglect to hives in the yard due to watching this thing full time.lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.