Who makes the best frames. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Who makes the best frames.

TNBee, call and request a price from at least 3 suppliers that you find acceptable. With 10K frames, you have a big enough order to qualify for a big discount. Let them know that you are getting quotes from other suppliers. You should be able to get them down around 80 cents per frame, maybe a tad less.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Best unassembled wooden frames? NOT Kelley!
    +1
    Started April Fools Day 2017

In my experience, Kelley has the worst fitting/milled wood frames out there. Their level of precision is quite a bit lower than the other manufacturers.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    Staples have to force their way into the wood and in the process crush the wood under the crown of the staple. This weakens the wood enough that the staple will often pull through. This is not a problem if the frame is glued. Brad nails do not cause the same type damage. I agree that brad nails without glue would be susceptible to pull through. So are staples. So are frame nails. If using staples without glue, I suggest narrow crown and 2 staples to ensure solid attachment between top bar and end bar.
    OK, thanks loads. I'm on overkill then- plenty of TB glue and more than enough staples (4 per side of top bar), narrow-crown, and I keep the pressure adjustment set so there is almost no crushing (except on the bottom bars, but that's no big deal).

I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Staples are probably more expensive than brads (haven't priced them) but I'm not doing a volume high enough to make the difference significant.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

Quote Originally Posted by clyderoad View Post
    Best unassembled wooden frames? NOT Kelley!
    I was just going to make the exact same post, except shorter... "Not Kelley."

I've only got experience with two kinds Kelley and Mann Lake. But 3rd handed have seen some Dadant ones and they look OK. Have never used them in the hive though.

Senco staples have a glue coating which helps keep them stay fastened better.
    https://www.amazon.com/Senco-L15BAB-.../dp/B0009XUL5C
    I use Mann Lake frames. Wish the top bars were thicker.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Kelley's is pathetic. I have 5000+ of their frames not a fan. It's too bad they could be a great company.
    Feeding early patties. https://youtu.be/bUDd3vk7bgY

speaking of Kelly's frames, should i fill the large gap on the bottom of the frames, and the wire holes with something?

Started April Fools Day 2017

speaking of Kelly's frames, should i fill the large gap on the bottom of the frames, and the wire holes with something?
    No need to fill them, the bees will do it for you in short order once they are in the hive.

I have tried Mann Lake, Dadant, and Kelleys. I like them in that order and Mann lake by far better than the other 2....just finished assembling 700+ with no problems....all fit well!

Careful with MannLake. The frames are very nice, good wood and fit. However, if you are using wedge top bars, wired wax foundation with hooks the foundation has to be trimmed to fit. Also the MannLake top bar used for wedge top bars is actually their groove top bar with the wedge cut into it. This leaves a groove all the way through the end bars (wax moth and SHB hiding spots until the bees fill them with propilis. The grooved top bars are why the wired foundation is a poor fit. If you are not using the wedge top bars, I don't think Mann Lake can be beat.

I like mann lake frames best if those I have tried.

more precisely made. Extra features that take more time to manufacture, but still priced well.

Without a doubt, A.I.Root. Opps, you wanted to know who is NOW making the best frames.

Crazy Roland

NOW, why yes that would be Lewis frames
    http://www.lewisandsons.ca/

Thumbs Up Re: Who makes the best frames.

Mannlake Frame with Acorn double wax foundation is what I run. The last order I bought from ML was $.66 a frame delivered in the flat.
    I use a 3/8x1 1/2 18 ga. staple with glue. Frames will brake before coming a part.

My two boys with two jig and one nail gun 10,000 frames in less then 40 hour. Only had come across a few that didn't get stapled all the way. Good thing for glue.

If you use the Mann Lake frames you should buy Mann Lake foundation as it is a bit shorter than everyone else's foundation to fit the thicker bottom bar they use. As a side note the Mann Lake foundation fits poorly in everyone else's frames due to being a bit short. Bought several cases last year during their sale and fought them all spring as they barely fit into the bottom bars. I also put extra glue on the top bars to fill the saw groove of the wedge frames.

Mann Lake first. Brushy Mountain second.
    Local Carniolan Bees. All medium configuration.

Love the Mann lake frames. Just got a 1000 more

Mann Lake

I've heard that Betterbee/Humble Abodes are great. Anyone compared those with Mann Lake?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast