Fermenting temperature

Default Fermenting temperature

I am attempting to make 6 gallons of muscato wine from a kit. The instructions says it's important to maintain the primary ferment between 72 and 75 degrees. Here it could be 40 one morning and 80 the next day. How do y'all maintain a constant temperature. I use a small spare bedroom facing north for my brew room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Fermenting temperature

That kit should come with ec 1118, and it ferments well between 54 - 85 degrees. That temp range 72 - 75 is the recommended range but you will be fine as long as you stay between 54 and 85. If you are concerned about the temp then you will need this https://www.amazon.com/Weekend-Brewe...=carboy+heater

Quote Originally Posted by JHill View Post
    How do y'all maintain a constant temperature. I use a small spare bedroom facing north for my brew room.
    I don't use the same room all the time, I pick a location based on the average temperature at whatever time of year. The thermal mass of six gallons of liquid will mitigate the effect of changes in ambient temperature around it.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

In most cases lower is better.

IMO I think 72 - 75 it too high I would ask others and maybe try 65-68 or less.

EC 1118 is a rocket fuel maker, one of the things that increase rocket fuel is temp.

Last year I turn a basement closet in to a wine room, it maintains a temp of 65 in the winter and 68 in the summer. I made some batches that I wanted a lower temp, so I put them in a darkened window in January for the primary fermentation it averaged 57-60 degs. And if the temp increased I would move them to a cooler place. IMO it makes a smoother tasting mead.

I would also not use a heater (might be the worst thing you can do), I would welcome a cooler temp and run from a high temp.

wow! Is that 40* temp swing in that bedroom?!? Or are you talking about the outdoor temp swing? If that's outdoors, no problem. If that's the indoor temperatures, I suggest a temperature controlled room.

You want your fermenting room to be a fairly constant temperature. For red wines, primary ferment temp should be about 72* for optimal results. It can be a few deg* cooler or warmer. But if you are getting too cold in the room, your fermentation will slow down or get stuck. If temp gets too high, you can get off-flavors, or even possibly kill the yeast.

Secondary fermentation can do well at slightly lower temperatures, mid 60s to 70*.

Steady as she goes... you want a room with a reasonably constant temperature. Wide temperature swings don't make the best wine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    wow! Is that 40* temp swing in that bedroom?!? Or are you talking about the outdoor temp swing? If that's outdoors, no problem. If that's the indoor temperatures, I suggest a temperature controlled room.

You want your fermenting room to be a fairly constant temperature. For red wines, primary ferment temp should be about 72* for optimal results. It can be a few deg* cooler or warmer. But if you are getting too cold in the room, your fermentation will slow down or get stuck. If temp gets too high, you can get off-flavors, or even possibly kill the yeast.

Secondary fermentation can do well at slightly lower temperatures, mid 60s to 70*.

Steady as she goes... you want a room with a reasonably constant temperature. Wide temperature swings don't make the best wine.
    Good advice!

Thanks Raptor

Thanks for the replies. I bought a small electric heater with a thermostat and have it set for 72*. I'll give it a few days to stabilize.

good. Just use sensible precautions wtith the heater. Enjoy your wine.

You may want to bear in mind that once the ferment starts the temperature of the must will rise. Although wines are not as sensitive to hot ferments as meads, it sometimes can diminish body.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    In most cases lower is better.

IMO I think 72 - 75 it too high I would ask others and maybe try 65-68 or less.

EC 1118 is a rocket fuel maker, one of the things that increase rocket fuel is temp.

Last year I turn a basement closet in to a wine room, it maintains a temp of 65 in the winter and 68 in the summer. I made some batches that I wanted a lower temp, so I put them in a darkened window in January for the primary fermentation it averaged 57-60 degs. And if the temp increased I would move them to a cooler place. IMO it makes a smoother tasting mead.

I would also not use a heater (might be the worst thing you can do), I would welcome a cooler temp and run from a high temp.
    EC 1118 rocket fuel with a clean well fed ferment may still be rocket fuel strong in three years, but it is ambrosia with lots of honey up front. I bottle it in 12 oz bottles because no one ever needs more than two glasses.