Overall most successful size mating nuc that you use - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Overall most successful size mating nuc that you use

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That mite biting interests me. Does that trait necessarily follow VHS or is it uniquely it's own? Does aggressiveness follow it ?
    The Saskatraz queens are very gentle. Pieces of leather were waved over the brood nests and they weren't excitable at all. 1 sting from 12 colonies. My local strain are a bit more prone to stinging.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

lharder, were you able to get Sasktraz queens? And if so, how were they?

Quote Originally Posted by WesternWilson View Post
    Lauri I am curious...you must have a compelling reason to split the box the short way as this means you must custom manufacture the smaller frames, rather than the usual method of dividing the box lengthways and using standard deep frames which sit parallel to the divider.

Can you expand on why you prefer this custom setup?

Janet

More interior frame space. I think they are laid up better especially since my spring weather is quite cool.

They are easy to handle and take less resources to get going in spring.

Attachment 31276

Outside frame

P5221385.jpg

inside frames from the same nuc

P5221388.jpg

A closer look at that outside frame. A prolific newly mated queen desperate for space to lay will use it, but it is not preferred.

P5221386.jpg

Part of that outside area being avoided is largely cooler temps, but also part could be what I call the 'mirror image' effect.

Bees like to copy the image from one frame to the next if they can. It's their construction blueprint. Same cell size, same brood pattern, same feed storage. The outside faces of the last frames in the box have no image to project the layout, since facing image is the box, and it is bare..

Here is a few pics to show what I mean:

Here is a frame with a half sheet of foundation in the center only, laid up and capped.

P5190283.jpg

Here is the adjacent frame, a full sheet of foundation, but with the same brood pattern as the partial that was next to it.

Attachment 31281

Below is another frame that was housed next to a half sheet of foundation that reared brood in the center on the foundation like the one shown above.

But if you look closely, this frame has the mirror image of cell size and reared brood as if it had foundation in the center, but it is totally foundation less. (I left this frame out and it got mauled by robbers, but you can still see the previous usage patterns.

Attachment 31283

I see this often with those half sheet frames. It's more noticeable because you have specific shapes that will catch your eye.
    If your interested I can round up more photos as examples.
    Last edited by Lauri; 03-03-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Lauri,

Do you see a difference in sucessful queen mating between the split nucs with two sets of half frames and the smaller nucs with half frames?

Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

Thanks for all the replies. They are greatly appreciated. For those of you using mini frames, are you getting them drawn out on top of a strong hive or are you having bees in mini nucs draw them out? I'm guessing you're getting a big hive to draw them out. If so, how do you arrange them in a standard hive body or do you put a divided nuc on with the frames in it? I've seen or read where some people connect two mini frames together and put them in a standard langsroth hive to get them drawn. If any of you do that, would you mind posting a picture of how you attach the two mini frames together to get them to fit into standard equipment?
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

A cup full of bees a queen cell and a bit of syrup draws out mini frames quick

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. They are greatly appreciated. For those of you using mini frames, are you getting them drawn out on top of a strong hive or are you having bees in mini nucs draw them out? I'm guessing you're getting a big hive to draw them out.
    First time, I cut up brood comb with my table saw, into pieces that fit into my mating nuc frames. Then I put 20 of those frames into a 10 frame deep, end to end, and the colonies filled the frames with brood. Once the mating nucs were established, I added frames with foundation, and over several years built into 500+ mating nucs. I now winter them over and start each queen rearing season with more mating nucs full of brood and bees than I need.

Bad drought in 2011. Similar to 2016. Reduced brood rearing in August. Mites overwhelmed what little brood there was. 99% loss that winter. Used overwintered standard nucs to repopulate the mating nuc combs by confining queens with excluder, to box containing 8 mating nuc combs. Took about 160 nucs to fix the problem.

Another use for my overwintered nucs.

If any of you do that, would you mind posting a picture of how you attach the two mini frames together to get them to fit into standard equipment?
    Deleted my photo but the idea I stole from here; 5/8 sheet metal bent into a saddle. Two ears land on full frames with a drop down saddle to hold the the half frame centers. Works well for a few frames, quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    First time, I cut up brood comb with my table saw, into pieces that fit into my mating nuc frames. Then I put 20 of those frames into a 10 frame deep, end to end, and the colonies filled the frames with brood. Once the mating nucs were established, I added frames with foundation, and over several years built into 500+ mating nucs. I now winter them over and start each queen rearing season with more mating nucs full of brood and bees than I need.

Bad drought in 2011. Similar to 2016. Reduced brood rearing in August. Mites overwhelmed what little brood there was. 99% loss that winter. Used overwintered standard nucs to repopulate the mating nuc combs by confining queens with excluder, to box containing 8 mating nuc combs. Took about 160 nucs to fix the problem.

Another use for my overwintered nucs.
    Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Deleted my photo but the idea I stole from here; 5/8 sheet metal bent into a saddle. Two ears land on full frames with a drop down saddle to hold the the half frame centers. Works well for a few frames, quick and easy.
    I'm not following what you're talking about.

I use the Mann Lake Double Mating Nucs when I have extra cells. As Ian said a cup of bees and some syrup and they have it drawn out in no time. Great for extra cells, but I move the queens to something else pretty quick if they take.

I overwintered mating nucs this year and it's really nice not having the resources pretty much ready to go with some manipulation.

Thanks for that series of photos and text Lauri...we'll get our local woodworker to put a few of these together. I think we will use Michael Palmer's idea of using a movable small frame feeder as a divider as well.

i use something similar to get top bars drawn. I use stiff coat hanger wire. Think of a "U" with wings. It is supported on full frames on each side. I could go 3 wide before issues, but that depends on material strength. There may be some excess comb to trim as required.
    -- bar --
    ..|___|

. For spac retention only

Sorry I did not keep the photo. It is so simple it is hard to describe, though texanbelchers did well. A lot like a square tube saddle clamp, the wings rest on whole frames and the half frames land in the drop.

https://goo.gl/images/kR5ItE

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Sorry I did not keep the photo. It is so simple it is hard to describe, though texanbelchers did well. A lot like a square tube saddle clamp, the wings rest on whole frames and the half frames land in the drop.

https://goo.gl/images/kR5ItE
    I think I've got it now.....

See if this describes what you're talking about. You're using both standard and mini frames in the same hive body. The clamp you posted a picture of sits across the top bar of the long frames and serves for a frame rest for the mini frames? That about it? If so, what are you using for the shelf on the box end of where the minis sit?

Mr Palmer, are you using your characteristic feed sacks for inner covers on these nucs too, to keep bees from migrating from one mini nuc to the other?

If so, what are you using for the shelf on the box end of where the minis sit?
    Just the regular hive body rest. Took me a little adjusting of the saddle width to have the total of the two half frames plus the saddle to equal the length of a full frame. I was matching a foam nuc frame which is not an even half frame in my case.

A smart man would have tried an empty before opening a live hive, a stubborn man does it my way.

Mr Palmer, are you using your characteristic feed sacks for inner covers on these nucs too, to keep bees from migrating from one mini nuc to the other?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Yes
    For some reason, I was pretty certain that you were using them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123