Will go thru some ideas I have.
Correction is welcome.
My idea of a cell-builder for a small-scale queen grafting setup.
First I think I'd select a colony with two deeps and a medium full of bees and brood.
Most of my hives are setup that way now.
I'd tear the hive apart but locate and cage the queen. Have the frames all out so I could re-arrange them all. Sort of a beekeeping no-no. Next I'd sort capped brood frames from the open brood frames. Make a honey-frame pile and locate at least one pollen...hopefully a pollen and honey frame.
I'd re-arrange it so I have open brood above the excluder. The idea is to lure all the nurses upstairs.
Might leave it like that overnight. Queen and capped brood is downstairs.
Next day build the starter from the same hive starting from the top. Have to add another box. Not an issue.
Put one frame of open brood along with pollen, honey, and every bee I can shake from the open brood. queen is downstairs so leave the bottom alone UNLESS I need more nurse bees. Should not have to.
The starter goes above the rest of the hive on a divider board so they think they're queenless.
Graft, put grafts in starter for 24 hours then put it all back as a queen right finisher.
This means setting up the starter happens right before I graft.
Forget which video but there is one of a guy doing exactly this.
Could do separate starter and finisher. Last time I did that the starter turned into a split.
Here is where I share a problem that I created.
When I shook bees for the starter the starter was sitting on same pallet as a deadout.
Some of the lost nurse bees went into that and made a laying worker nightmare. Sigh. Ruined a lot of drawn combs. All droned up. We're talking 4 mediums worth of mess. Yikes. When it quits raining and blowing I'll add some brood and try to straighten them out.
Moral: Don't leave deadouts in the yard.