Nicot 101 - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicot 101

Default Re: Nicot 101

Ashamed to admit it that I got impatient and well...errr....uh... I got out the grafting tools.
    About the third frame I pulled out on inspecting the mother of the two that I'm using for Nicot and cell builders...well it was a beautiful frame of eggs and brood like a grafter would dream of. Took it as a sign.
    Ruined a few larva but finally it dawned on me that I could tear down the walls around a larva I wanted.
    Got the hang of cell wall demo and had rows of easy to harvest larva to work with.
    Up until the epiphany of destruction hit I thought it was getting pretty hopeless.
    Only had to "destroy" a small patch of comb to get the 19 I wanted.

Will go back for more tomorrow. Plucking the little worms was getting fun.
    This is how I could see so well to do the grafts.
    Seems like a lot of videos I see of grafting is ether on a tailgate of a pickup or on a table saw.

20170406_133549.jpg
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Been saving broken frames and parts of frames.
    Got bored yesterday and look what happened.
    20170408_192943.jpg20170408_192948.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    Ashamed to admit it that I got impatient and well...errr....uh... I got out the grafting tools.
    About the third frame I pulled out on inspecting the mother of the two that I'm using for Nicot and cell builders...well it was a beautiful frame of eggs and brood like a grafter would dream of. Took it as a sign.
    Ruined a few larva but finally it dawned on me that I could tear down the walls around a larva I wanted.
    Got the hang of cell wall demo and had rows of easy to harvest larva to work with.
    Up until the epiphany of destruction hit I thought it was getting pretty hopeless.
    Only had to "destroy" a small patch of comb to get the 19 I wanted.

Will go back for more tomorrow. Plucking the little worms was getting fun.
    This is how I could see so well to do the grafts.
    Seems like a lot of videos I see of grafting is ether on a tailgate of a pickup or on a table saw.

20170406_133549.jpg
    Can you get a closer picture of the cups (the grey ones on the right in your picture) you are making the grafting to?

Seems to me they are not original Nicot. If they are what I think they are they do not fit into the Nicot Cell Bar Cups, the yellow ones fitted in the frame, not to speak of fitting into Nicot laying cage.

Update:
    UPS, read the other thread (Nicot 201) and realised that you are well aware of the differensies, JZBZ /Nicot...
    Last edited by Juhani Lunden; 04-08-2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Update!

Juhani I can see why you'd be confused.
    The frame is set up for Nicot and the cups are charcoal colored base-mount JZBZ. The ones with little posts you can stick into a frame channel. https://www.mannlakeltd.com/base-mou...-cups-100-pack
    Sorry for the confusion. My bad.
    I have some push-in cell cups too but haven't made a frame for them. I sort of like both the JZBZ and the Nicot cup system.
    Can see why people would just skip the cassette and graft into the Nicot cups.

Last Saturday I used them JZBZ cups and I don't have any more right this second BUT Fedex is bringing me some from Mann Lake.
    Got a few things coming. Splurged and got 5 mini-mating nucs.

This queen rearing stuff is the most exciting and fun part of beekeeping imo. It's magical.
    Been pacing around like an expecting father since I did the first grafts.
    Today is capping day on the first round of grafts.

The whole project has taken a name. I'm calling it "Project Next Year's Bees".

Will be at the setting up the mating nucs stage this saturday and/or sunday.
    Emergence day on round one is tuesday the 18th.
    Plan to use temp queen strips in mini mating nucs on seven cells and have never done that.
    The others will get put into a queen castle with some frames of bees.

How long do you keep the 1.5 cups of bees in the mini nuc with the cell before you open the door?
    Overnight is what I thought I saw that guy from U of G do in this video.
    Once I saw the mini nucs I had to have some.

How long do you keep the 1.5 cups of bees in the mini nuc with the cell before you open the door?
    I keep them in dark cold (+10 C) cellar over two nights. The bees, to fill the mini mating nucs, must be collected from a diffrent yard (min 3 km, bee flying distance), otherwise almost all bees will fly back to their mother colonies, and it will end up near total failure.

1,5 cups is near the absolute minimum of a bee colony, therefore this is unlike other nuc making, where nucs can be made in the same yard (when made strong enough) and where often there is emerging bees in the nucs frames, which came to help when major part of bees is flying back to their mother colonies.

While it is still cooler during the night time, it is better to make stronger nuc hives using standard frames. In the warmer
    temp. you can use the mini nucs otherwise there will be some chilled cells and broods if not time it right. Using the standard frames while it is still cold outside will not affect the cells placed in the center of the frame. With an incubator you can put the virgin inside the mini without any
    issue with the chilled cells. Since this is an experiment and still too early in the season you will have plenty of time to take the kinks out. Happy queen rearing!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

this video.
    They are feeding sugar syrap to these mini mating nucs. That is major mistake for several reasons:
    -promotes robbery more than candy
    -spills when moved
    -bees drowning in it

Will use the "put in three times what I think I need" rule.
    Focus on getting young nurse bees. I know the field bees will fly back home.
    My nucs will be in the same yard but it's a really big yard.
    Have done a few queens every season and it's been working well for me so far.
    Last year I bred quite a few queens in the tiny back-yard at the house I'm in.
    Had over a dozen full-size hives in the same back yard. It's a bit crowded.
    For some reason I've not had a lot of robbing unless I wanted it robbed.

How many did you have take? Did you use your nicot or end up grafting?

I'm getting mine set up for my first attempt at grafting on Friday. Last Saturday I collected 20 frames of sealed brood with bees and put 10 apiece on top of my 2 starter/finishers. This morning I added my cloake board sealed my regular entrances and reduced them back down to 2 deeps. Tonight and/or in the morning I'm going to pull some frames of open brood above the queen excluder and make sure the queen is below it. Thursday night I am going to slide the divider in the cloak board to make my queenless starter, and reverse and re-open the regular entrance. Friday afternoon/evening I'm going to graft.

I hope mine as well as yours is successful. Good luck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wvbeeguy View Post
    Have to keep watch on it, difficult to see day old larvae if you dont have full sun and realize that queen may lay slowly in box, sometimes only 8-10 a day
    I agree--very difficult to see. I just ordered the book for my kindle apps. I'd like to be sucessful at this kind of queen rearing. Especially now that I invested in all the stuff.

I just moved the nicot system frame with queen into a 4 frame nuc with a couple other frames and I'm going to use that hive as a starter finisher. I wanted to put the cells in a differnt starter/finisher but that didn't work out due to my timing. I put all the cups in it and I have seen a couple larvae and I think I saw eggs. I sure hope I did.

Sam Laverty has a couple you tube videos on Nicot.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Got the mini nucs.
    First thing you have to do is hot-glue the screen and queen excluder in. Watched a few mini nuc videos and it's common to see the QE missing. They fall right out.
    Have a couple foundationless TF top bar hives that died out last winter so I cut up some comb for the nucs.
    Am so ready for Sunday. (transfer the cells day)

After two rounds of grafting I've written off the Nicot. It's a bottleneck unless the queen starts laying right away. I'll try it again but not until mid-June.
    20170412_065756.jpg20170412_065748.jpg

Sorry about the randomness of this thread. It is just me being me sharing the adventure. My bee plans always morph and change as they go along. I think that's just part of beekeeping? The beautiful thing is that the bees kind of steer me along and we end up at a good place with sweet stuff.

How was your acceptance with the grafting?

I watched the you tube video on the mini nucs (which I need to get started!) and I planned to use lemongrass q tip with queen juice on the opposite end instead of the strips.

What do you all use in mating nucs to keep the bees in before you place cell? the queen pheremone strip or lgo?
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

Following.
    Took my queen a couple days to start laying in the Nicot and got about 50 or so larvae into frames. Have 4 rearing frames in cell builders right now. Not all were ideal cell builders and I know all won't be successful but this is mainly a learning experiment and first attempt a queen rearing. Only have resources for about 10 mating nucs but will see if I even get that many queens.
    This is a queen from a feral hive I cut out last year that was in a dead tree the owner was going cut down and let me cut it down so I could save the hive. He said the hive had been there for at least a couple years. So I really want to try to keep this gene pool alive.
    Should be capped around Saturday or Sunday.
    Andy

Good luck BroncoVol74. My first try too so I'm following with the same interest. Please update on your progress too.

I switched my hive bodies last night moving the open brood up and putting the 10 extra capped brood I added on Saturday on the bottom underneath the cloake boards. The influx of extra workers had caused them to plug all the space in the original brood nest. It was a good lesson in what a large foraging population can bring in compared to the mediocre populations I have in most of my hives this year. Both queens had already crawled up into the added capped brood looking for a space to lay. I was not as happy with the amount of bees as I thought I would be after adding 10 frames of bees and brood. Full, but, not overflowing. I'm contemplating adding some more bees shaken out of brood nests Friday morning.

Good luck to all.

My acceptance with grafting was poor on the first go and good on the second.
    Today I got nine cells on one bar and I forget on the other.
    The second shot was better but some of the cells look really puny. Some look grand but others look like wimps.
    Today is capping day on the second bunch.

Looks like I better work on making up good cell-builders and the timing.
    Next time I think I will make up the cell builder the afternoon before grafting.

Up until now I've used brood to anchor mating nucs because I was using random swarm cells as they appeared. This year I'm working harder on avoiding the swarm cells in the first place. I suppose a little lemon-grass oil would help some. The temp-queen strips smell a lot like lemongrass to me. I bet it's not quite the same but close.

That's pretty well what I'm expecting. I figure I'll blow it on the first round despite all the preparation. It helps to temper my expectations to see how it is going for everyone else. Thanks.

This queen rearing stuff is the most exciting and fun part of beekeeping imo. It's magical.
    Same for me too, still.

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrightjr View Post
    That's pretty well what I'm expecting. I figure I'll blow it on the first round despite all the preparation. It helps to temper my expectations to see how it is going for everyone else. Thanks.
    Was all ready to take pictures of the great success but when I started counting and measuring thought again.
    There are some real good looking cells, some that look like second grade bees did them, some that look "haha", and the ones that did not take.

Today while inspecting I found a colony that has solid and I mean SOLID brood pattern.
    It's the last of the "Florida Bees" I got thru swarms and splits off another person's apiary that I was managing or trying to manage.
    The queen has a bright yellow butt. Have no clue exactly the source but the genetics in that hive are super. I'll make some grafts off that line next. They're honey-making bees but don't winter that well.
    Something else I noticed is that they seem a bit small. Have noticed that before too.
    They sure are pretty bees though. I get caught up in looking at the light colored ones.

Some of my hives are dark, some are light, and some are mixed.
    They're all mutts.
    Last edited by aunt betty; 04-12-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast