Nicot 101 - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Nicot 101

Default Re: Nicot 101

Will go thru some ideas I have.
    Correction is welcome.

My idea of a cell-builder for a small-scale queen grafting setup.

First I think I'd select a colony with two deeps and a medium full of bees and brood.
    Most of my hives are setup that way now.

I'd tear the hive apart but locate and cage the queen. Have the frames all out so I could re-arrange them all. Sort of a beekeeping no-no. Next I'd sort capped brood frames from the open brood frames. Make a honey-frame pile and locate at least one pollen...hopefully a pollen and honey frame.

I'd re-arrange it so I have open brood above the excluder. The idea is to lure all the nurses upstairs.
    Might leave it like that overnight. Queen and capped brood is downstairs.

Next day build the starter from the same hive starting from the top. Have to add another box. Not an issue.
    Put one frame of open brood along with pollen, honey, and every bee I can shake from the open brood. queen is downstairs so leave the bottom alone UNLESS I need more nurse bees. Should not have to.

The starter goes above the rest of the hive on a divider board so they think they're queenless.
    Graft, put grafts in starter for 24 hours then put it all back as a queen right finisher.
    This means setting up the starter happens right before I graft.

Forget which video but there is one of a guy doing exactly this.

Could do separate starter and finisher. Last time I did that the starter turned into a split.

Here is where I share a problem that I created.
    When I shook bees for the starter the starter was sitting on same pallet as a deadout.
    Some of the lost nurse bees went into that and made a laying worker nightmare. Sigh. Ruined a lot of drawn combs. All droned up. We're talking 4 mediums worth of mess. Yikes. When it quits raining and blowing I'll add some brood and try to straighten them out.

Moral: Don't leave deadouts in the yard.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I want to thank you again Juhani I think you correctly diagnosed my mistake. I was headed in the wrong direction and would have made the same mistake again. No doubt with the same results.

I did go reread Mr Palmers sticky and realized where I got the idea. He does 45 at a time it appears, but, uses the cell starter as the cell builder. He does not make his hive queenright until they are capped. That is what I was shooting for, but, missed that little detail. This gives him all those nurse bees to feed cells without feeding other larva. Live and learn.

There has been quite a bit of failure in my queen rearing. Weather and operator error.
    After what seemed like a week straight of rain I finally got to take a peek into all the mating nucs.
    Not a lot of success to report. (ashamed to admit it)

On the bright side there were a couple virgins running around that I spotted. There were two of what appear to be well-mated queens.
    This one has filled a 4-frame nuc where it has two soild frames of capped brood. She's a keeper anyway. Set another 4-frames on top of her nuc.
    20170422_151543.jpg20170505_122246.jpg

One queen at a time I'll manage to get more of them with the yellow dots.
    The other one that I did not take pictures of was very black. Maybe next time.

Also took frames with started cells from one of the "florida-queened hives". Gave them to failed mating nucs. Hope I end up with more of those type queens. Italian for sure and they make tons of bees and honey.
    The genetics came from Long Lane Honey Bee Farm but he bought those queens from Florida.

Things are getting taller in the yard.
    20170505_123852.jpg

Still trying to figure out how to get the cable hooked up so Discovery Channel can start getting the live-feed.
    20170505_123915.jpg

Having fun anyway. lol

Finally got a few days without rain or needing a winter coat. Put nicot cage in Sat for cleaning and sequestered the queen around supper time Sunday. Looked at her today at supper time and the cage was full of bees. seen a number of eggs in between bees so cut her loose on another frame and dropped the nicot frame back into hive. Tue expecting rain but need to make sure the queen in my starter/ finisher hive is below the cloak board and get it closed up. Lots of bees in both theses hives so game on. However, could not find the queen in this hive the other day but saw day old larva. So just have to look a bit harder.
    For our setup we have a front and back entrance bottom board, queen excluder, deep with queen, cloak board, queen excluder, second deep, queen excluder, shim with upper entrance and a hive top feeder plus cover.
    First time using the nicot so it will be a learning experience.
    On vacation the middle of June so will see what we have and what is learned by then and maybe give it anther shot after we get back.
    Last edited by frogpondwarrior; 05-22-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Found the queen and she is below the cloak board. All the capped brood below the board and all the open broad above. No rearranging to do so I closed up the board. Next up larva transfer. Would be much easier if I didn't have to go to work from 13:00 to 24:00 tomorrow. Will transfer those that have hatched at noon and will rely on wife when she get home to keep checking and moving larva to fill our frames.
    Thinking this would have been easier if we had placed queen in cage in the am not pm. But was tied up until 6ish that day. Some of those eggs may have been laid Monday and will not hatch until Thur. On the clock.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

I often do grafting in the middle of the night when the temp. is cooler here. Been doing night beekeeping for a few
    years already. Anywhere from inspecting virgin mating nucs to grafting when the time is a bit off.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

checked today 66 hours after queen placement. No larva and some of the eggs missing. Only royal jelly in 2 cells but could not see larva even under good light. Put frame back as there still are a good number of eggs. Will look in am. before I leave town and see what needs to be done. Don't mind working but need to reverse this process. Have her lay on my work days and have larva hatch on my days of rest when I can play with the clock to get desired results. Still may get something this time but it seems to be rush, rush....rush. No joy in mudville.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

Nicot update:

Today I finally see my first batch of nicot eggs in the brown plastic cell cups. I order 600 of these. Updates on my post constant mite removal management. After 3 days inside the nicot cage the newly bought Cordovan queen had laid many eggs. Only 4 cups are empty I believe. My conclusion is that in order for this to work the cage must be embedded in the middle of an old dark drawn comb frame. This is as natural as can be leaving the queen thinking that this is the place to lay. The natural smell and familiarity on the comb makes it feel like home more so than just an empty hanging plastic cage alone.
    So have I finally found a full proof method getting the queen to lay inside the nicot cage? After the eggs emerged in a few days the next batch of laying will be tested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789