Farmers market single frame observation hive question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Farmers market single frame observation hive question

If I am bringing a single frame of bees to a farmers market as a display for 4-5 hours (or more) in a single frame observation hive, should I:
    1. Definitely bring the frame with the queen on it
    2. Definitely NOT bring a frame with queen on it (leave queen with hive) or
    3. Just grab a frame and go and not worry if queen is on it or not

And how long can a frame be out of the hive like that? It will be well ventilated and out of direct sun. Should I plan to feed them? Water them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Farmers market single frame observation hive question

I'm interested in the answers too. Now these are just my opinions and I have not had the luxury of an o.h. yet, but working on one.

I would bring the Queen. I think that is the number one reason for O.h. coolness and will make more people look longer and when people are circling, more will be interested. More people, more money.
    And yes to the water and syrup.

Now that's my opinion. Others may change my mind, but I do plan on using one this season.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

Bring the queen and make sure she is marked.

Make it up with all young nurse bees, no older foragers.
    The frame should have some stores in it.
    Give them water once an hour at least. I dribble a few drops in the vent screen.
    Yes, put the queen in it.
    Single frame Ohives are great for a single day excursion.

yes, definitely bring the marked queen. That is the number 1 question you get when people walk up, "where is the queen". If you can tell them to look for the one with the colored dot, then you have there attention for a number of seconds and can start in on the sales pitch.

One humorous thing I've noticed is that most of the people think the queen is born with the coloured mark. You'll have to inform them that you painted that mark on her. Anyone else notice this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Anyone else notice this happen?

All the time.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

How long will it take for the original hive to start queen cells in absence of the queen?

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    How long will it take for the original hive to start queen cells in absence of the queen?
    They'll notice her absence quickly, withing an hour. They will start queen cells within 8-24 hours normally, if they don't find her.

If I were going to do that very often, I would definitely set up a small nuc to pull the queen in and out of. A 3 frame nuc at that. I don't know how many you could pull her like that for a day at a time before she got superceded.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    I can take my queen out of a topbar hive and replace her with a QMP lure and they won't start cells for the 3 days I have them out. And so far, I haven't had trouble adding her back to the hive without caging her first. I do prefer to pick on a small nuc though, when I have that option just so I don't disrupt a big hive for those 3 days.

Does Swarm Commander have QMP or some synthetic analog in it? Will it hold off queen cells for a bit?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    If I were going to do that very often, I would definitely set up a small nuc to pull the queen in and out of. A 3 frame nuc at that. I don't know how many you could pull her like that for a day at a time before she got superceded.
    Yep, the nuc is the way to go. We used a five framer.

I'm not advertising, but this is what I use. Pull the frame with the queen up and close the shutters. The nuc has a frame feeder, and the top has a queen excluder keeping her up there in the glass. Pretty slick. Not cheap, but i really like it.

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/U501/
    -- Joe
    "Make your own decision and embrace the consequences." -- jwcarlson

I have successfully used Mann Lake's version of the 5-frame observation hive for six (6) days straight at the annual Red River Valley Fair in West Fargo, North Dakota, the last two (2) years. It was part of a Ag Education program about food sources. If lucky, the observable frame will have emerging bees on several days. I have been exchanging the observable frame mid-week just to show a different view/stage of development. Put small locks on the latches, and have a good magnifying lens available. People love it. After last year's fair, we used the bees to start an apiary on the fairgrounds as part of a pollinator wildflower garden (thanks to Bayer's FeedABee program). We also hand out a packet of Bayer's wild flower seeds. Women and children love the idea of planting the seeds, and I get quite a few chuckles as a bald-headed 68 year old offering flowers to their husbands or boyfriends.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    One humorous thing I've noticed is that most of the people think the queen is born with the coloured mark. You'll have to inform them that you painted that mark on her. Anyone else notice this happen?
    My brother in St. George, UT had a swarm hanging a tree in the back yard. He called a keeper come & remove the swarm. He watched as the guy removed the swarm & asked how can you tell the which one was the queen. The keeper said, "she's the one with the little crown on her head." ....and my brother said he actually started to look closer as the keeper began laughing.......

Whiskers, I've heard Michael Bush say he makes his own QMP by putting his retired queens in a jar of alcohol. After a while, the pheromones dissolve in the alcohol and then you can dip a qtip in. It'll take a while to accomplish if you're not running thousands of hives, but it might save money in the long run.

>Does Swarm Commander have QMP or some synthetic analog in it?

No.

>Will it hold off queen cells for a bit?

No.

I just take the queen, and put that frame back in when I get home. It has never caused an issue. If I'm doing it regularly, I try to have a couple of five frame nucs I can steal the frame from and alternate nucs on subsequent days (assuming a weekend of farmers markets).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Since observation hives are for "observing" then ideally you want a frame that includes as much as possible. Brood in all stages of development...eggs, larvae, sealed brood, also honey and pollen. Again, that's ideal but not always possible. A marked queen is a must because that's what everyone will want to see. A flashlight makes it much easier to see in the cells and observe other details.

Also, I would never leave an observation hive unattended, especially at a farmers market. Someone needs to be assigned to that task to answer questions and secure the hive while someone else is selling honey. I've never had an incident with an observation hive but the first time some kid knocks yours over and the cover pops off, things will get exciting rather quickly!

I also have a question about this... the county extension office wants me to man a booth at the farmers market (I'm the local 4H Honey Bee project leader) and bring the Ulster observation hive.

Question: I'm in Moscow Idaho and it's rainy and 40 degrees today - typical spring weather. Is there a temperature below which I shouldn't use the observation hive? I'm worried about the brood and queen getting chilled in the observation window while on display, and thinking I should wait until the weather improves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast