Swarm traps and rain - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Swarm traps and rain

Soar.....
    I thought my bees should be doing better but they kept getting stopped and frisked. They had to show thier IDs before they could vote to move into my swarm traps.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I'm ready this year to take on Ollie. I have a new found confidence since I trapped the first swarm in 2016 in the Bay Area and it was his!
    Our weather here has been crap- yesterday they said that this winter was the coldest since 1977. Global warming, I want some! You never realize what 4 degrees below normal means until it stays at 46 you try to get to 50 for a good flying day.
    I am thinking of maybe going with some new LGO this year, I gave away my Swarm commander after I got almost nothing the year I used it.
    Follow Odfrank around and steal his full boxes would be the best suggestions!
    Serious suggestion is to do only one frame in a nuc (they like the open space) I use black brood.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Minz,

That sure is cold! So sorry to hear that. Today we had 70f+ weather and our bees were incredibly active. I was able to do an in-depth inspection for the first time in several months and I am so happy. Several of the hives actually appear to have more bees in them than when we wintered them last November. Not exactly sure how that could happen. Three hives appeared to have no more room for new eggs and larvae, so time to get ready for the splits and the Nucot queen raising system again. Today I installed more supers and more frames with foundation.

Wouldn't be surprised if we begin to see the swarms this week or next. Drones are hatching daily here...and must have been hatching for some time because I see drones in the hives already...wow, this is a strange year in California...

Yup minz. The rains looking to be real bad this year. I hear the bees playing the world's smallest violins right now. Got my traps out today but not expecting much until late April or may.

Our next best day will get to 49 in 2 days. Then another week of 45 and raining. Down sized a hive earlier with our scorcher of a day.

On a high note, they been bringing in more pollen than usual.

Soar, at build up time now watch out for the mites. They can crashed a hive if left alone. So what is the
    mites level now? I have some hives without mites now. Some still battling with them though. And I'm not treating either.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

BeePro,

Mites in this year [2017] are nearly non-existent in our hives. And I believe the main reason is because we treated with OA vaporizer several times last year, then went with the Apivar in early fall...so they went into the winter with nearly no mites at all. Keeping a close watch on them now, but not even seeing one mite on the SBB, nor on any bees during the inspections. I broke open many new larvae cups a couple of days ago [new white wax/sealed brood between top and bottom supers] and not even one mite...so this is very, very good news for us!

So far, everything looking really nice with the exception of some mice munching on some of the wax on abandoned hives, and a little on live hives...

Wanted to make a few more swarm traps today, but had to build a gate on fence line with neighbor so we can send our sheep over to mow his forest.

I also was not able to spray new lure on existing swarm traps today...simply ran out of time...

I will tell you something I think you will enjoy....we planted over a thousand fava beans last November...now, massive flowers, and I see the bees working them every day! We hope to plant a few acres of the fava beans next year beepro.

Have a great day!

I've seen the bees on our fava beans also. They are very frost resistant just like the mustard Brassica family. Freeze those pods for a later summer treat. What are you going to do with so much beans? I'm planting a Spring crop for May-June production. Maybe a late crop for our summer dearth too. Time to get a good barn cat or 2.
    I am still under the impression that bees should co-exist with the mites without our help later on and so did not get rid of them completely last year. The vsh bees are uncapping the infected broods to keep them in check also. Once the I.I. process is online and have some resistant drones then the fun really begins. Have confidence that this can be done!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Beepro, we planted the fava beans for several specific reasons and purposes:

1. Cover crop with literally zero maintenance.
    2. Water bill is literally zero [when we plant in October and harvest in late March or early April].
    3. Seed bill is zero [we save seeds from the year before, often obtaining over 60 seeds per plant. Smaller varieties can produce 300+ seeds per plant].
    4. Provide a silage that is super high in protein for our sheep.
    5. For personal consumption [they work great for flatulence wars].
    6. For sales to generate more income [having zero costs, it is a total money maker].
    7. To give away to friends.
    8. To obtain free, massive increase of nitrogen into the soil [200 lbs. per acre].

Whew! Now I am out of breathe!

On a side note: Fava beans grown in the Central Valley grow best if planted in October and harvested in March-April. If you plant in Feb-March, you can harvest but high heat days can damage the plant severely.

Here's come cool info on fava beans from UC Davis Small Farm site:

http://sfp.ucdavis.edu/pubs/brochures/favabean/

In California, fava beans are grown as seed crops along the coast from Lompoc to Salinas and in the Northern Sacramento Valley, but in other areas of the state they are grown mostly as a cover crop or for green manure.

Fava beans are a relative of vetch, a determinate type with erect, coarse stems and large leaves without climbing tendrils. It grows to be a bushy plant, two to seven feet tall. The white or purplish flowers are born in clusters on short stalks in the axils of the leaves. The large-seeded varieties bear 1 or 2 pods at each node while the small-seeded types produce from 2-5 pods. The pods produced are up to 18 inches long and contain from 3-12 large beans. There are about 15 pods per stalk on the large types and 60 pods on plants of the small-seeded varieties. When stored under favorable conditions, most bean seeds have a life expectancy of 3 years. "This plant is used as livestock and poultry feed, for a cover crop, and as either a green or dry vegetable. It is also used as a coffee extender when roasted and ground. The dry beans are about 24% protein, 2% fat, and 50% carbohydrate, and have 700 calories per cup.

Favas can also produce large amounts of biomass making them quite attractive as a green manure crop. 20 to 40 tons per acre of green forage worked back into the soil as organic matter shows promise in enhancing the tilth of many clay and sandy type soils. In addition to the organic matter benefit, the leguminous nature of fava beans can provide large amounts of nitrogen to the soil benefiting existing perennial crops such as orchards or subsequent high nitrogen consuming annual crops. Green manure yields have been determined in several research trials throughout the state, starting as early as 1903. In the foothill county of Amador, 4.9-5.5 tons per acre were reported. A trial in San Bernardino county produced 22 tons per acre of biomass, while a U.C. Berkeley report estimated trial yields as high as 34 tons per acre.

Caught my first swarm of the season yesterday. They came from my Russian neighbor down the street. I accepted the illegal immigrants with open arms and gave them sanctuary.
    Swarm season is on here in the Bay Area.

[QUOTE=Reef Resiner;1519624]Yup minz. The rains looking to be real bad this year. I hear the bees playing the world's smallest violins right now. Got my traps out today but not expecting much until late April or may.

QUOTE]

I hang a couple of swarm traps in Gresham and picked up a nice swarm at the drive through at the KFC last year. Am I going to lose out to Reef? Game on!
    Don’t plan on a late swarm season, it goes by growing degree days, just like the blooms. When the crab apples start to bloom the bees will be hangin’ along side them.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Rain or shine northwest battle of the chicken wing swarm competition?! Let's do this!

Hank,

Congrats on the captured swarm...hoping we can capture some now too!

Quick question: what lure are you using and how often are you applying it?

In the past I have been using Honey Bee Attractant made locally by Alice Rosenthal, but my bottle is now empty. Lemongrass oil is my fallback, as its always in my kit, and its cheap. I just bought some Swarm Commander to try it out, and just finished setting up 6 more boxes this afternoon. A warm week is predicted here, and dry, so I might get lucky again.

I refresh about once a month.

Cheers,
    Last edited by hankstump; 03-05-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Thank you Hank. I too have the lemongrass oil...and last year I actually rubbed real lemon grass on the inside walls of the hive and then we experienced sweet success with a number of swarms caught. Yes, I suppose now is the time to set out as many boxes as possible...that is our goal for this coming week.

Minz & Reef, you two are funny.

I wish I was living somewhere as dry as Portland...it's a bit wetter up here in Oly.

But the hives do if you put them on little pontoon barges, two hives to a 3x5 barge.

Still, I bet I'll have more swarms caught than either of you when I run out of boxes to put them in.....

I checked the Growing degree day calculator- we are 11 days behind the 30 yr average and 37 days behind the last year (real warm). I figure mid-April this year to hang my traps.
    Each year I say that it is too much trouble to drive all over to pick up a swarm in the middle of the night, not doing it anymore. Every year I end up driving to get one!
    Beregondo, I keep watching the storms go just North of us-Got to say that you guys need some water wings for the bees and outriggers for your hives! If you were as poor a beek as I am you would have plenty of gear in the spring to put bugs in!
    If you aint at least smiling you’re doing it wrong!

Running out of boxes is an automatic disqualification.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12