Cold Ambient Temperature Promotes Nosema spp. Intensity in Honey Bees

Default Cold Ambient Temperature Promotes Nosema spp. Intensity in Honey Bees

Bees suffer from Nosema when they cannot fly to defecate, who knew?

Free full text download: http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/8/1/20/htm

Cold Ambient Temperature Promotes Nosema spp. Intensity in Honey Bees
    Gina Retschnig 1,2,*, Geoffrey R. Williams 1,2,3, Annette Schneeberger 1 and Peter Neumann
    Insects 2017, 8(1), 20; doi:10.3390/insects8010020

Abstract: Interactions between parasites and environmental factors have been implicated in the loss of managed Western honey bee (=HB, Apis mellifera) colonies. Although laboratory data suggest that cold temperature may limit the spread of Nosema ceranae, an invasive species and now ubiquitous endoparasite of Western HBs, the impact of weather conditions on the distribution of this microsporidian in the field is poorly understood. Here, we conducted a survey for Nosema spp. using 18 Swiss apiaries (four colonies per apiary) over a period of up to 18 months. Samples consisting of 60 workers were collected monthly from each colony to estimate Nosema spp. intensity, i.e., the number of spores in positive samples using microscopy. Ambient apiary temperature was measured daily to estimate the proportion of days enabling HB flight (>10 C at midday). The results show that Nosema spp. intensities were negatively correlated with the proportion of days enabling HB flight, thereby suggesting a significant and unexpected positive impact of cold ambient temperature on intensities, probably via regulation of defecation opportunities for infected hosts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cold Ambient Temperature Promotes Nosema spp. Intensity in Honey Bees

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Bees suffer from Nosema when they cannot fly to defecate, who knew?
    so that global warming thingy is a good thing for us northerners.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Default Re: Cold Ambient Temperature Promotes Nosema spp. Intensity in Honey Bees

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    so that global warming thingy is a good thing for us northerners.
    And bees that fly at cooler temperatures.

Italian colonies that I've had didn't seem to want to fly much at temps below 40F, and without Fum-B being fed in the Fall they showed significant Nosema issues.

My Carnis and Rus/Carni hybrids will fly as low as 17F, and have shown fewer issues with Nosema even without Fum-B.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeeKeeper View Post
    And bees that fly at cooler temperatures.

Italian colonies that I've had didn't seem to want to fly much at temps below 40F, and without Fum-B being fed in the Fall they showed significant Nosema issues.

My Carnis and Rus/Carni hybrids will fly as low as 17F, and have shown fewer issues with Nosema even without Fum-B.
    I just read on Bee-l that the quality of honey the bees have stored in their supers can have a detrimental effect on bee mortality over the winter, especially those of us in the .Northeast. It seems the quality of Fall honey, i.e. goldenrod can cause the diahhrea that most beeks associate with nosema apis. It has to do with the ash content of the Fall honey. This beek who wrote in is from Maine. He says he uses George Imre's method of management and his losses have improved drastically. I am going to try this myself this year.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    I just read on Bee-l that the quality of honey the bees have stored in their supers can have a detrimental effect on bee mortality over the winter, especially those of us in the .Northeast. It seems the quality of Fall honey, i.e. goldenrod can cause the diahhrea that most beeks associate with nosema apis. It has to do with the ash content of the Fall honey. This beek who wrote in is from Maine. He says he uses George Imre's method of management and his losses have improved drastically. I am going to try this myself this year.
    hard to figure out what parts of all this are real. According to the experts in the state, the reason for the high losses was that there was a drought and there wasn't any golden rod flow? So if there wasn't any golden rod flow how would it cause diarrhea? I read the guy from Main's post once, have to go back and read it again as I have troubles visualizing things when I only read it once.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Wild ranch, I posted the whole email under a new heading a few minutes ago.

This is the title wildbranch....Winter Colony Losses in Northeast Bee-l