Too early for an Ohio trap-out or cut-out?

Default Too early for an Ohio trap-out or cut-out?

Its unseasonably warm here in Ohio. Forecast for the next 7 days: daytime temps predicted above 60 / nighttime temps above 40.

Got a call today. Bees are in a soffet. Homeowner saw swarm move in last year and notices that the bees are now flying with gusto. He wants them gone.

On the one hand, it seems like a great time to do the trap-out or cut-out; low populations, low stores. No fuss, no muss, right?

But is it too cold? Or too early? I'm confident we'll see snow and daytime freezing temperatures before winter ends.

What's my best play? Trap-out now or later? Cut-out now or later?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Too early for an Ohio trap-out or cut-out?

Too early yet. Wait until nighttime temperatures remain above 45F. A trap out now will be problematic as when the weather cools again and the bees stop flying you will have a split hive resulting in two weak hive one without stores or queen at a critical time.

Later on either will do. A trap out takes a lot longer, but a cut out is labor intensive and more stressful on the bees. flip a coin.

Way too early. Late April would be the earliest IMO.
    I have 6 removals slated for early May from last year.

I agree with waiting until around April to do the cut out. I surmise we still have a cold spell coming in Ohio, so this would make feeding them hard.

I have a cutout waiting for me since late last summer. I am estimating performing the removal at that time. Luckily the homeowner understands and wants the bees
    to survive.

Maybe talking to the homeowner and explain that they are dooming the colony removing it at this time.

Good luck

Thanks. I'll cool my heels.

Best to wait until you are seeing some drone brood just in case you don't get the queen or kill her