NYT CCD article featuring R. Adee
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NYT CCD article featuring R. Adee

Here's an article about the impact of CCD on the largest operator in the country:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/b...=fb-share&_r=0
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: NYT CCD article featuring R. Adee

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    Here's an article about the impact of CCD on the largest operator in the country:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/b...=fb-share&_r=0
    Interesting article.

He doesn't think that trucking hives around the county, from one monoculture to another, wringing out pollination duties from his bees, has anything to do with his losses?

And as far as I know, there is still money to be made in the honey inusty, albeit a slump lately. Hungry huge corporate beekeeping operations should not be the face of the inustry.
    I've always believed if you do what best for the bees, you will be rewarded.

Wow, 92,000 hives!
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Same old, same old. No federal insurance program? Actually, if you lose more than 17% of your bees, the federal government pays you something like [email protected] for replacements.

The way I see it, if the migratories are losing large numbers of their colonies after pollinating, it's an expense of doing business. I'm not saying that it doesn't hurt, and I truly am sorry for their losses, but at $200/colony for pollination and then $65 for any colonies that are lost, I think they should stop complaining. If a truckload is 450 colonies and the loss rate is 44%...as reported by the VanEnglesdorp lab...you do the math.

This statement left me wondering who actually received the 2 billion dollars and where the 10 million hive replacements came from.

"A year later, the Agriculture Department estimated that beekeepers had spent $2 billion to replace the 10 million hives they had lost in the six years since bee colonies first began experiencing declines."
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I think someone is counting both fingers and toes to get those numbers...

Ya well I guess I will never make the big time like you commercials seeing as I could not lose 40% of my hives like you commercials, that's what Addee says.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    This statement left me wondering who actually received the 2 billion dollars and where the 10 million hive replacements came from.

"A year later, the Agriculture Department estimated that beekeepers had spent $2 billion to replace the 10 million hives they had lost in the six years since bee colonies first began experiencing declines."
    The way I read it Jim, nbody received, it came from the beekeepers pocket. It cost them $200/hive to replace the lost ones. They came fro within th industry, either from their own, or from another acquired outfit.

Maybee, the Adee's have been in the bee business since the depression. Whether or not trucking them from A to B is the best or not for bees is not the point. Their claim is that until very recently, industry losses were in the 10-15%, the Adee's losses were 3-7%. The trucking part did not change. They were trucking them for a long time. They started almond pollination in 1990 because of the Chinese. So sure there is money to be in the honey business but it is not being made by the beekeepers today. The Chinese problem has never really gone away and it put the whole industry up against a wall. Tofield is a 135 pound to maybe 200 in a very good year. So yeah, you have a fighting chance if honey prices recover quickly. I think the mid west is now more in the 60-70 pound range.

As far as doing what is best for the bees, they are doing what they have to in order to survive. Without pollination they would have no bees.

Johno- That's the point. It is not sustainable.

MP- I think the Adee's and others are suing the EPA, so I guess they have stopped complaining and are taking action.

Jean-Marc

Oh yes, I almost forgot OldTimer, 92 000 is impressive. There are very, very few people that could manage this and keep it afloat even if it was given to them. Hats off to him and the family.

Jean-Marc

Somewhere in the 1990s Richard Adee was invited to the Oregon State Beekeepers Association fall conference to talk about their operation.
    At that time, they had 70,000 hives.
    Richard walked up to the podium after being introduced and said, " I am Richard Adee and we run seventy thousand hives."
    From that point on, he continually blew every one in attendance away with the sheer scale of the Adee operation.
    I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but that was the most impressive beekeeping presentation I have ever seen to date.
    Total, jaw dropping massive scale.
    That is one presentation I will never forget.
    I have exactly ONE more hive than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond dispute!

[QUOTE=jean-marc;1514659]The way I read it Jim, nbody received, it came from the beekeepers pocket. It cost them $200/hive to replace the lost ones. They came fro within th industry, either from their own, or from another acquired outfit.

Maybee, the Adee's have been in the bee business since the depression. Whether or not trucking them from A to B is the best or not for bees is not the point. Their claim is that until very recently, industry losses were in the 10-15%, the Adee's losses were 3-7%. The trucking part did not change. They were trucking them for a long time. They started almond pollination in 1990 because of the Chinese. So sure there is money to be in the honey business but it is not being made by the beekeepers today. The Chinese problem has never really gone away and it put the whole industry up against a wall. Tofield is a 135 pound to maybe 200 in a very good year. So yeah, you have a fighting chance if honey prices recover quickly. I think the mid west is now more in the 60-70 pound range.

As far as doing what is best for the bees, they are doing what they have to in order to survive. Without pollination they would have no bees.

Johno- That's the point. It is not sustainable.

MP- I think the Adee's and others are suing the EPA, so I guess they have stopped complaining and are taking action.

Jean-Marc[/QUOTE

Jean Marc,

You know my averages better than I do. Lol.

Dude with 92,000 hives complains of neonics and CCD, but makes no mention of varroa mites after losing nearly 50% of his colonies. Hmmm...sounds like this guy needs to retire so he doesn't keep killing 40,000 colonies each year.

At least the Penn State bee expert brought up mites.

I'm not here to criticize the Adee's my family has know them since the 60's. They are honorable people and have done a lot for the industry. I would neither want to or have any idea how to go about managing that many hives. My point is that any article that talks about large purchases of replacement bees should at least question where the heck the replacements are coming from, we are talking about the New York Times here and not Mother Earth News. Is there or isn't there a bee crisis? If someone is buying bees then someone somewhere must be making some good money selling them.....or am I missing something.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Jean Marc,

You know my averages better than I do. Lol.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, well 99 days growing season, you had better chop chop and get er done.

Bee Arthur, I am pretty sure the Adee's are fully aware of varroa. Just because there was no mention of them in the article means what? Afterall Adee is the beekeeper not the newspaperman who wrote the article.

Are you suggesting it was varroa? Amitraz resistance? It could be possible. If he does retire, it would not be the first varroa induced early retirement.

Jean-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post

Bee Arthur, I am pretty sure the Adee's are fully aware of varroa. Just because there was no mention of them in the article means what? Afterall Adee is the beekeeper not the newspaperman who wrote the article.
    You're right. It's possible it could've just been selective reporting.

There is a history of them attributing everything to CCD, not varroa.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

90,000 hives sitting in a 3000 acre pasture... poor cows ...

Hey guys just saw an article from Buzzkill, 40% loss is not too bad they have my state VA as greater than 50%loss per year. Hell if I lose 10% they will hear me squawking all the way down in Richmond, yet I make more than 100% increases every year. I think a lot of stats are being skewed by the one hive keeper who loses his hive and has a 100% loss.
    Johno

Like Mr. Lyon, our family has known the Adee's since at least the 60's. They are no dummies. You do not become the largest in the country by being stupid. I would guess that, at their skill level, mits are not a problem. To be honest, mites rank way below pesticides, queen failures, and forage issues in our world.

Crazy Roland
    Linden Apiary, est. 1852

**** those farmers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast