Palmerizing Bees....Treatment

Default Palmerizing Bees....Treatment

Just curious if it is best to treat mites just before late summer splits for overwintering in nucs, or after the split? The problem treating before with ApiVar is the treatment would push me out 43 days before I could split in late summer. Our summer sourwood flow is over around second week in July. I'd like to look at splitting for overwintering in nucs around that time period.

Thanks in advance for you responses.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Palmerizing Bees....Treatment

I made up four last year at the time you're talking about. I treated the nucs with oav and found the mite numbers really got down nicely in those. Much better than full size hives. I may try to make nucs this year then put one apivar strip in each one and clean up with oav in winter. Curious to see what others do.

That is what I will do. Are u pleased with using the OAV treatment?

I was in the nucs. My full size hives never stopped brooding. I chased mites all summer and winter. The nucs seemed easier to get the mite loads down with oav. I know the four I made up in palmer style nucs are booming. I put them in full size equipment over weekend. This year I also want to try and put a couple splits in the split nuc setup in spring and super over queen excluder. This way I will have extra queens on hand and can rob brood from the double nuc.

I would like to know how that goes. Really look forward to seeing how the bees overwinter in double Nucs. Have got to minimize loses. Glad hear it has worked for you. Are you requeening your nucs when u split, or letting them raise their own?

Jsbrooks I have used purchased mated queens for everything. I'm still not where I want to be with hive numbers. Once I get there and have an "excess" of bees I will try to rear queens and make up nucs with cells and requeen production hives with cells. I'm hoping to be able to do that next spring. I may try to raise some queens as a trial after pulling honey this year.