Trouble in Paradise. Corporate Behavior driven by Greed and Fear

Default Trouble in Paradise. Corporate Behavior driven by Greed and Fear

Beekeeping in New Zealand was not long ago run by family businesses, often one man. Then came high honey prices which were at first seen as a blessing. Then unfortunately, money attracted a new breed, corporates. They are run by people who are not beekeepers and pretty much only care about shareholder returns, beekeeping etiquette that used to exist between beekeepers is no more, and skilled beekeepers work at the bottom of the corporate pecking order as the low paid grunt.

Heard of one outfit whose directors paid themselves four million dollars each last year, while at the same time claiming they cannot afford to pay local workers so importing cheap labor from countries like Poland. Of course the imported labor has no affinity with local beekeepers and cultural norms.

NZ honey reputation has been damaged by deceptive branding and Mom and Pop operations are being put out of business by bully boy corporates, here's a news article one of many.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...and-beekeepers
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-11-2017 at 05:59 PM.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Trouble in Paradise. Corporate Behavior driven by Greed and Fear

Sounds like pig farming in the us in the 80s. It was get big, take less for each one. Half can file for bankrupsy and the ones that are left can get a few laws passed to make it hard on small guys and the moral of the story is get big and be ruthless or get out.

Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    get big and be ruthless or get out.

Cheers
    gww
    Sounds like big business... Plain and simple.

The face of New Zealand is changing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/silic...zealand-2017-1

Facing this change now and into the future, what is your personal position for
    both of you and your bees? I mean who would like to be at the bottom of the totem pole?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Well for me I am retired and just got 300 hives as a retirement hobby, I am out of all this. But I think the day is fast approaching where smaller beekeepers are going to get so crowded out their business will become uneconomic and they will have to sell, probably to the big guys who forced them out, and after that may be offered a job at some pittance type money.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Just like the seeds company here, the small business have to combine their
    effort in order to save themselves and their little farms. Maybe a possible solution is to unite in order to have
    a place in the bee world there. United we stand!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I say for the small businessman or hobby beekeeper to survive we have to continue to be involved in local marketing, local and state government legislation, beekeeping organizations, pesticide and land use watchdog organizations, and to keep our local marketed products as high quality as possible. Will it help? I can assure you if we don't they're going to run over us. Pure, unfiltered raw Honey! Nothing better!
    Jerry

It seems that I recall one of the big almond operations bought out a beekeeping outfit a few years ago. Big money in those pollination contracts. Later I heard that they were having difficulty running the bees. I won't say that corporate types can't successfully manage such a business....but I will say I won't be surprised if they don't ultimately fail. Bean counting and beekeeping are poles apart...in my opinion.

Sadly, by the time the new bullies' businesses collapse.....the little guys will have already fallen by the wayside.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Beeman dan. .not only has "pay a little amount" kept beea alive this year they just bought out the biggest orange producer on Fl. Look for the bully tactics beeks in So Cal experienced a few years back to hit the Florida community next.

Well it is true, the rich get richer. It's just matter of time for every money making opportunity to pop up in an investor's mind. Many will buy a small business and keep the owner as an employee until that employee trains the new guy to run it. Keep the name and it's seamless as possible.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    not only has "pay a little amount" kept beea alive this year they just bought out the biggest orange producer on Fl.
    Shoots down my theory.
    I'm hearing a similar lament in the NC mountains. Big Florida operations unloading hives willy nilly, running all over the locals, to get sourwood honey.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Home depot, Walmart, CVS, Star bucks, Amazon, super cuts, citi bank, Archer daniels, cargill, general mills and nestle come quickly to mind.
    From my observations- don't underestimate the competition.

The only certainty in life is change, 300 years ago we would have all been peasants working for the ruling class. They had the money and they could make the laws. Today politicians make the laws, getting re elected costs money and their crony capitalists can supply the money for that, so we are perhaps looking at going back to peasants in another 300 or less years. I guess I will not be around then so I may as well make hay while the sun shines.
    Johno

I am not an expert in this field and I make my living doing something else while trying to supplement with bees. But, one thing I have learned and love about beeks is that many have an independent, rebellious streak. I am not sure how many would be willing to work bees as a corporate cog.