?on cell acceptance and mating of queens

Default ?on cell acceptance and mating of queens

I plan to make up a number of nucs to overwinter this coming summer. I also want to raise some (maybe most ) of the queens. After reading some books I still have some questions. Cells will be from grafted larva raised in cell builders. The nucs will be made with two frames of brood and bees and comb of feed or a feeder with syrup and a cell. 1 how long after making up nucs do you put the cell in? 2 are there methods to encourage cell acceptance? 3 what's the average % of mated queens one can or should expect? 4 how do you deal with the nucs that don't hatch/mate. And any other advice as well

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: ?on cell acceptance and mating of queens

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Eck View Post
    I plan to make up a number of nucs to overwinter this coming summer. I also want to raise some (maybe most ) of the queens. After reading some books I still have some questions. Cells will be from grafted larva raised in cell builders. The nucs will be made with two frames of brood and bees and comb of feed or a feeder with syrup and a cell. 1 how long after making up nucs do you put the cell in? 2 are there methods to encourage cell acceptance? 3 what's the average % of mated queens one can or should expect? 4 how do you deal with the nucs that don't hatch/mate. And any other advice as well
    1. Five minutes to over nite at longest.
    2. No need. They are accepted
    3. % is all over the place. Last year my first batch of queens got 20% mated due to horrid weather. The batch a week later was 80%.
    4. Recombine with some queen right hive via newspaper combine and make up a new nuc with fresh brood and young bees if needed.

Here is a good step by step for a small set up
    http://doorgarden.com/2011/11/07/sim...for-beginners/

Regarding mated queens, I have had from 60% to 100% with 5 way splits. I had better success with the splits all oriented different directions and positions, not in a line.

Read Larry Connor's Essentials books, especially Queenrearing, Bee Sex, and Increase. These are easy reads giving you about all the background you need to raise quality queens. It can be up and down, but it's fun stuff and you will get the hang of it and end up with more and more bees every year.

I'm also wondering about drone source colonies . were they should be placed in relation to the nucs (distance)?