Cleaning Hive Boxes

Default Cleaning Hive Boxes

Hi all! Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum. I have a hive that had a lovely colony in it, until it was gutted by a bear. The hive has been shielded from weather over the winter, but the left over comb bits have developed mold on them. I've scraped off a good deal, but the plastic foundations are completely caked in it, and I've considered just popping out the foundations. My questions are: is foundationless beekeeping popular, how should I remove the mold (aside from scraping it), is there anything special I should do to make sure it's safe for my new batch of bees this spring, and should I run a blowtorch through it as some other websites have said? Thanks! ❤

Edit: I am sure that there was no AFB in my previous hive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cleaning Hive Boxes

Quote Originally Posted by vjordan View Post
    My questions are: is foundationless beekeeping popular, how should I remove the mold (aside from scraping it), is there anything special I should do to make sure it's safe for my new batch of bees this spring, and should I run a blowtorch through it as some other websites have said?
    I like foundationless in the brood area. I would remove the mold by either power washing the frames or by putting them in robust hives and letting the bees clean them. I would not do anything special in your situation.
    David Matlock

Thanks very much! I think pressure washing is going to be the way for me to go, since I don't have any robust hives to drop the frames into.

I'm relatively new to beekeeping and I am mostly foundationless. The reason for this, I try to let the bees do "their thing" with the least amount of human management. I use some foundation frames if I see the bees diverting from a good vertical draw. It gives them a guide.

That sounds like the nicest approach, doesn't it? Do you go foundationless in both deeps and supers, or just the deeps?