Things I've learned in 2 months

Default Things I've learned in 2 months

Well, I started my mead journey two months ago and I currently have 9 different batches in varying quantities sitting on a bench in one of my cellars. I learned a lot in a short time and I'm looking forward to learning a whole lot more. Here are some of them:

• It's easier to use fermenting pails than carboys in the primary. With a pail, I can make the batch a little larger (I'm mainly doing one gallon batches since I'm so new at this) so that when I rack off into a secondary, I don't have to worry about what to use when I need to top off.
    • It's not as hard as I thought to restart a batch that never got going (or stalled almost immediately according to my hydrometer). Maybe I got lucky when I brewed up a starter to revive the batch.
    • Move the primary up to the kitchen the night before racking so that the stirred up lees has a chance to re-settle before you work on it.
    • Like in beekeeping, there are LOT'S of right answers (opinions) depending on who you talk to!
    • Trust your hydrometer. Trust your hydrometer. Trust your hydrometer (I bought a backup so that I won't be stuck without one if I drop it). I also learned the "trust" lesson when making maple syrup.
    • Starting multiple recipes means you have to take good notes and keep a good log. My memory ain't what it used to be.
    • It's good to use a calendar to schedule future, anticipated events like racking, adding nutrients, etc. Did I mention my memory ain't what it used to be?
    • It's OK to experiment a little....just keep good notes in case something goes wonderfully right or terribly wrong.
    • Mead making is another great lesson in patience; like beekeeping, gardening, marriage, etc.
    • Dogs and cats love to clean up spilled mead.
    • Yeast is a wonderful organism that deserves much more credit that much of the world gives it.
    • It never hurts to sip mead while you're making it. Gives you something to look forward to.

I'm sure there's more but these are what popped into my head during my 90 minute commute to work this morning. Thought I'd share.

Thanks everyone for all the help so far!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Things I've learned in 2 months

Maybe I got lucky when I brewed up a starter to revive the batch.
    Sometimes it can be good to step-up a starter for a couple-three days before brew day, especially if if you have a high starting gravity. Pitching a large quantity of yeast almost guarantees a good start. I usually go for at least double the volume for a mead as for an ale, I start it with dried malt and a bit of Crosby & Baker Fermax.
    If you want to be successful, study successful people and do what they do.
    Zone 4a/b

The coons and possums also love to find a pile of fruit after it removed from the primary fermentation
    “The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” -George Bernard Shaw

One of the most important things I learned years ago was to sanitize very well! One of my first batches of beer, an Irish Red, was downright terrible due to contamination...... had to pour it out! After that I was OCD about cleaning everything! I also had a nice strawberry wine that turned into rocket fuel.........