Oxalic Acid and Honey Supers
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Oxalic Acid and Honey Supers

Can you leave your honey supers on when treating with OA if you are only leaving that honey for the bees and not planning on harvesting? Any advice is appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Oxalic Acid and Honey Supers

If the honey is not used for human consumption, sure.
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

This is what the label says
    Do not use when honey supers are in place
    to prevent contamination of marketable
    honey.
    https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem...1-20151013.pdf

So if you don't plan to harvest and use the honey for human consumption then it looks like you'd be in compliance with the label.

Note this says marketable honey, Not marketed honey. Any honey that could be extracted and marketed cannot be on the hive at the time of treatment. whether you eventually market it or not. No guarantee you will remain in control of that hive. or that someone else would not eventually extract and market it etc.
    Everything gets darker, as it goes to where there is less light. Darrel Tank (5PM drawing instructor)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Note this says marketable honey, Not marketed honey. Any honey that could be extracted and marketed cannot be on the hive at the time of treatment. whether you eventually market it or not.

Note that there is honey in the brood nest area also. And that honey could be marketed. If the mere presence of 'marketable' honey makes treating with oxalic acid illegal, then a hive could never be legally treated.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 02-07-2017 at 07:13 AM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Depends on an individuals standards of what is marketable, I don't consider my broodnest honey a marketable product because I feed syrup at different times of the year when the supers are off the hives and I also treat the broodnest with OA.

I know you emphasized "could" but I don't look at the could as a possibility.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A, Never look down on anybody unless you are helping them up

I would really like to see a study that shows (1) the levels of OA retention in honey after OAV over time and (2) the harmful effects (if any) of human consumption of OA contaminated honey. Larry, if you have anything please link me to it. Thanks.

Last edited by snl; 02-07-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    So, the EU's official position is that OA is not dangerous for human consumption and therefore declined to establish a Maximum Residue Limit for its use. I take it that in Europe, honey supers are not removed when OAV is performed?

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I take it that in Europe, honey supers are not removed when OAV is performed?
    FWIW..........I've heard some do, some don't ............

Quote Originally Posted by poppy1 View Post
    Can you leave your honey supers on when treating with OA if you are only leaving that honey for the bees and not planning on harvesting? Any advice is appreciated
    Well let me add my part 2. I am going to do my first OAV treatment as I have tried T/F for 6 years and have lost 15 out of 26 hives since November and not due to starvation but mite related issues for sure so my issue is most of my hives are 1 deep with 2 shallow supers full of honey and I have bees through all 3 boxes and trying to get everyone into just the deep brood box to treat without contaminating the honey seems next to impossible so I can mark all these honey supers as for bee feed only I guess but any further advice is appreciated

You may find that an 'escape board' is useful in clearing bees from honey supers (used in warmer months). More on all kinds of escape boards here:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/clearerboards.html
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Seems like common sense to me that if OA can't penetrate capped brood, it can't penetrate capped honey either. One could simply dispose of all cappings and the honey contained therein if so inclined and be perfectly fine. What am I missing?

Or in lieu of an escape board a fume board to drive them down, take off supers (or place barrier) treat, return supers (if taken off) OR take the supers off, blow them out, treat and return supers.

Quote Originally Posted by cervus View Post
    One could simply dispose of all cappings and the honey contained therein if so inclined and be perfectly fine. What am I missing?
    You're not missing anything. I was thinking (maybe too much) that poppy1 wanted to save the honey / cappings ..

Remember, the EPA says not to treat with honey on......regardless of whether it is capped or not.............

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    You're not missing anything. I was thinking (maybe too much) that poppy1 wanted to save the honey / cappings ..

Remember, the EPA says not to treat with honey on......regardless of whether it is capped or not.............
    I was thinking of just discarding the honey contained in the cappings. The rest should be "pristine" when extracted. But you are absolutely right, the best bet is to follow the label regardless. I wonder if coroplast signs separating the supers from treated brood boxes meets the intent of the EPA regulation as far as "contamination" is concerned? Sometimes it's hard to tell...but that's a whole different story.

I treated in the Fall with one honey super on each hive, with the intent of never harvesting those supers and allowing the bees to eat it all fall and winter. I have a few frames of honey left from those supers that I will put in brood boxes on splits. So I will not ever extract the honey from those frames.

I mark the frames OAV so I know they have been treated. They will go on the supers in the fall after any honey harvest. In the spring, non-OAV exposed frames will go in and I will slide a political sign in to do a treatment. That's the plan anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by psm1212 View Post
    I treated in the Fall with one honey super on each hive, with the intent of never harvesting those supers and allowing the bees to eat it all fall and winter. So I will not ever extract the honey from those frames.
    **** Exactly what I did ****

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    I mark the frames OAV so I know they have been treated. They will go on the supers in the fall after any honey harvest. In the spring, non-OAV exposed frames will go in
    **** Exactly what I'll do ****
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

zone 5b

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast