Queen Rearing Article - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Suffolk, VA
    Posts
    4,214

    Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

    Quote Originally Posted by JSL View Post
    Thought I would share an article I wrote for Bee Culture.
    I really enjoyed reading your article. Thanks for sharing it!
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Wayne, WV, USA
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

    Thank you for sharing your technique, Joe! I thought "Finally a system that isn't a drain!"

    My question (sorry it's so basic) about making the split is: if the goal is to keep the forager/nurse population below the swarming threshold, what do you do to keep the foragers removed in the split from returning to the parent cell-building colony? Or did I miss something??

    Thanks!!
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Albany, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,005

    Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaW View Post
    Thank you for sharing your technique, Joe! I thought "Finally a system that isn't a drain!"

    My question (sorry it's so basic) about making the split is: if the goal is to keep the forager/nurse population below the swarming threshold, what do you do to keep the foragers removed in the split from returning to the parent cell-building colony? Or did I miss something??

    Thanks!!
    You are welcome. Moving the splits to a new yard is essential.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Wayne, WV, USA
    Posts
    232

    Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

    Okay. Am I also to understand that you make up a queenless starter (which will become the top box) first, then it is ready for successive batches?

    Also, I see the rotation of brood to be: 1) eggs in the middle box, then 2) put in the top where it draws up nurse bees and is sealed, then 3) moved to the bottom box and out for extra nucs (with the foragers). Empty comb in the middle, repeat. 4 frames of emerging brood will cover 12 frames of the 15-frame builder hive, which is 80%. So, how do you figure the number of frames of sealed brood to leave in the hive to maintain nurse population?

    I'm studying this pretty hard because I don't have time to make swarm boxes every week and I really like rearing queens, so I can't tell you how grateful I am that you've shared this.
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Albany, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,005

    Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaW View Post
    Okay. Am I also to understand that you make up a queenless starter (which will become the top box) first, then it is ready for successive batches?

    Also, I see the rotation of brood to be: 1) eggs in the middle box, then 2) put in the top where it draws up nurse bees and is sealed, then 3) moved to the bottom box and out for extra nucs (with the foragers). Empty comb in the middle, repeat. 4 frames of emerging brood will cover 12 frames of the 15-frame builder hive, which is 80%. So, how do you figure the number of frames of sealed brood to leave in the hive to maintain nurse population?

    I'm studying this pretty hard because I don't have time to make swarm boxes every week and I really like rearing queens, so I can't tell you how grateful I am that you've shared this.
    No the queen less starter is a stand alone unit as are the cell builders.

    The number of frames of brood in the cell builders is somewhat dependent on their growth rate. In the peak of the season, I may have to remove more brood to keep ahead of them. As opposed to the beginning or end of the season when I am trying to maintain the population.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Crown Point, NY, USA
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

    Joe can you explain your care for your cell starters?

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Albany, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,005

    Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    Joe can you explain your care for your cell starters?
    The starters are simply free flying queenless units. I make them up an graft into them the same day. They are good as starters for a week, maybe two. It all depends on how they hold up. They can be replenished with brood and bees, but I find they do not work as well after that. I prefer to just go ahead and make up a new one. I generally do not feed them. I just make sure they have plenty of stores when I make them up.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Posts
    661

    Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

    Really enjoyed the article!

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Tallapoosa, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    637

    Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

    How do you utilize the starters after their week or two as starters?
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •