Queen Rearing Article - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Queen Rearing Article

Quote Originally Posted by JSL View Post
    Thought I would share an article I wrote for Bee Culture.
    I really enjoyed reading your article. Thanks for sharing it!
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for sharing your technique, Joe! I thought "Finally a system that isn't a drain!"

My question (sorry it's so basic) about making the split is: if the goal is to keep the forager/nurse population below the swarming threshold, what do you do to keep the foragers removed in the split from returning to the parent cell-building colony? Or did I miss something??

Thanks!!
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaW View Post
    Thank you for sharing your technique, Joe! I thought "Finally a system that isn't a drain!"

My question (sorry it's so basic) about making the split is: if the goal is to keep the forager/nurse population below the swarming threshold, what do you do to keep the foragers removed in the split from returning to the parent cell-building colony? Or did I miss something??

Thanks!!
    You are welcome. Moving the splits to a new yard is essential.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Okay. Am I also to understand that you make up a queenless starter (which will become the top box) first, then it is ready for successive batches?

Also, I see the rotation of brood to be: 1) eggs in the middle box, then 2) put in the top where it draws up nurse bees and is sealed, then 3) moved to the bottom box and out for extra nucs (with the foragers). Empty comb in the middle, repeat. 4 frames of emerging brood will cover 12 frames of the 15-frame builder hive, which is 80%. So, how do you figure the number of frames of sealed brood to leave in the hive to maintain nurse population?

I'm studying this pretty hard because I don't have time to make swarm boxes every week and I really like rearing queens, so I can't tell you how grateful I am that you've shared this.
    "The amazing thing about the honey bee is not that she works, but that she works for others." St. John Chrysostom

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaW View Post
    Okay. Am I also to understand that you make up a queenless starter (which will become the top box) first, then it is ready for successive batches?

Also, I see the rotation of brood to be: 1) eggs in the middle box, then 2) put in the top where it draws up nurse bees and is sealed, then 3) moved to the bottom box and out for extra nucs (with the foragers). Empty comb in the middle, repeat. 4 frames of emerging brood will cover 12 frames of the 15-frame builder hive, which is 80%. So, how do you figure the number of frames of sealed brood to leave in the hive to maintain nurse population?

I'm studying this pretty hard because I don't have time to make swarm boxes every week and I really like rearing queens, so I can't tell you how grateful I am that you've shared this.
    No the queen less starter is a stand alone unit as are the cell builders.

The number of frames of brood in the cell builders is somewhat dependent on their growth rate. In the peak of the season, I may have to remove more brood to keep ahead of them. As opposed to the beginning or end of the season when I am trying to maintain the population.
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Joe can you explain your care for your cell starters?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    Joe can you explain your care for your cell starters?
    The starters are simply free flying queenless units. I make them up an graft into them the same day. They are good as starters for a week, maybe two. It all depends on how they hold up. They can be replenished with brood and bees, but I find they do not work as well after that. I prefer to just go ahead and make up a new one. I generally do not feed them. I just make sure they have plenty of stores when I make them up.
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Really enjoyed the article!

How do you utilize the starters after their week or two as starters?
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12