Two Months Before I would Even Consider Opening the Hives - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Two Months Before I would Even Consider Opening the Hives

You should go ahead and cut new handholes or that box will be a nuisance for you for the rest of it's life.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

scitfrostbite
    Agreed. Plus, after a summer of trying to make the perfect recessed handhold, I realized that cleats are much, much nicer to grab and make lifting boxes way easier anyway.
    Now when I add cleats I do cut the top and bottom of them to a 30 or so degree angle to cut down on rot. My first traps did get rot on them pretty quick when using square cleats and 100 year old scrap wood.

I am now just making a dado slot for a handle. I am doing them at 90 degree angle and hoping that water doesn't sit and rot on them. They are easier to make then the cleo type handle so I hope they don't rot.
    gww
    zone 5b

Talk to me about cleats... How do you connect them? Wood glue? Wood screws? Bisuits? If you use screws, do you screw from the inside out, or the outside in?
    7 years; 3 colonies.

Beerz
    I just use the 1 and 5/8th inch green star bit screw. Depending on how long I make the cleat, I put two to four screws in. If I was using staples I would put a whole bunch in. I never use glue on anything though I am sure that I should. I do always drill holes in the cleat for the screws or nails. I use lots of hardwood for my stuff and with out drilling holes you take a chance of splitting the cleat or if using nails, they will bend before going through the cleat and hive body.
    I don't really worry about matching for looks but more on what works. I have made cleats with board widths as small as an inch and so it is a really good way to make your scrap go furthur. They are easy to put on but me being the cheap kind of guy, I still use the dado slot most cause I don't have to buy fasteners. I am a tiny bit worried about the dado holding water though. If you go with a cleat, I stongly suggest you putting an angle on the top to shead water.

Good luck
    gww
    PS I screw from out side. Looking at all my handle stuff and just stuff period, I am not sure I should be the one to imulate but I can pick up the hives and the bees don't care.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gww; 02-04-2017 at 07:22 PM.
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
    Talk to me about cleats... How do you connect them? Wood glue? Wood screws? Bisuits? If you use screws, do you screw from the inside out, or the outside in?
    I use a cardboard template to get them all in the same position on the boxes. I don't bother angling the top to shed rain water. Exterior wood glue and several drywall screws from the inside.

image.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12