Queen rearing schedule records and checklists
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Queen rearing schedule records and checklists

I'm looking for ideas for Queen rearing schedule records and checklists , how you organize things either on a spreadsheet or white board for easy reference, input of weekly and daily grafting, follow up work and use.
    I'd like to know how guys manage their men during this process. I like checklists and charts. Last year I use a whiteboard calender.
    Got full with "stuff"
    Any organization tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Queen rearing schedule records and checklists

Google Calendar works great I would imagine. Daily reminders pop up daily for me at 7AM and I can view the calendar at a click of a button. No spreadsheet needed.

Good idea
    I'll look into that for sure
    Easy to enter a lot of info, reminders , updates are quick, and also has calendar option

I keep the info to a minimum and only record the critical dates. For me that is the emergence date and the queen mother, but it can be whatever is critical to you. The less information the better for me in terms of keeping the system moving. Hopefully the formatting stays below, but I like a simple spreadsheet with columns to work down.

Graft Date - Queen Mother - Emergence Date
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Quote Originally Posted by JSL View Post

Graft Date - Queen Mother - Emergence Date
    Exactly the information I keep in my grafting notes. I utilize the free software Evernote, which is on my home computer and cell phone so I always have access to the info.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

I have so much going on in my queen rearing life, that keeping track of the day's work is sometimes a bit much. I'm setting up new cell builders every 4 days, but on all other days of the week I have other queen rearing jobs. Get too busy, with a million things to do, and I just might forget to add a clean brood comb to the breeder queen. Ooops! So I follow a schedule that Webster showed me. I've changed it a bit, but it's a great way to remind me what day it is. No, not day of the week, but what day in the queen rearing schedule.

Starting on the first day of the schedule...for me, it's May 10...number each day 1 through 8, 1-8, 1-8, etc until the end of cell building. Each number (day) is a different task. All day 1's are cell builder setup. 2's are off. 3's are grafting. 4's are queen catch. 5's are cell harvest. 6's are comb in breeder. 7's are off. 8's are re-unite cell builders. So, with this plan, I'm harvesting queens every 8 days once the schedule gets going full steam. That's not often enough for me, so I'm running two 8 day schedules at once, 4 days apart. So, day 1 is the same as day 5. We harvest the cells and re-cell the mating nucs where we caught queens the day before, and then set up four more cell builders. The double schedule meshes well for me. Note, grafting day is 3, queen catching is 4, and cells ready 5. One after the other. Those 2 days off? Day two is day 6 and day 7 is day 3. Not much of a break for me. Always something to do for about 2.5 months.

Once we have queens, about the middle of June, 60 from each catch of 160 go to making nucs. That's what my crew does when I have days 5-1, 6-2, and 7-3 to do. Then it's day 4 again. We catch the queens and the following day the crew makes more nucs or requeens colonies or whatever. I sell the extras.

Nothing I could ever keep together in my head without a good schedule. It gets so intense that when someone askes me what day it is I say "3, or 5". They stare at me with a strange look.

Michael that kind of thinking is exactly what I'm looking for. Tomorrow I'm going to set that into my schedule and see how things match up.
    Numbering work to days is an awesome approach,
    Last edited by Ian; 02-03-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks Michael Palmer for that insight. We have been trying to figure out our schedule as well. I like the 8 day schedule you pointed out. And easy enough to double it like you do. Keeps things organized.
    For what its worth, and this might help you out as well Ian, last year my wife put together a kind of queen rearing sliderule. She used xcell to make a calendar that was vertically oriented. And strips of paper with days numbered 0 for graft, 11 for cell transfer, and 32 for catch. On whatever day we grafted, we would tape another strip to the sliderule and easily know what day things are happening. I found the sliderule really helpful, especially if grafting gets off schedule for some reason or another. This would be really easy to explain with a picture, but I don't know that we have any. I could set it up and take a picture, but I am in CA for the next couple weeks.
    It worked really well until my son got big enough to start pulling the strips, and the calendar off the wall.

Michael Palmer perhaps my brain is still slow to wake up since its early yet but am i reading correctly that you make 60 new nucs with new queens twice in an 8 day cycle right through the summer?????

Holy crapola man thats a HUGE number!!!!!

Yep, Yuuuge. Now you know why I don't always answer my phone and people get Pi**ed at me 'cause I don't return their emails. I get home for a late supper, and go to bed. Eventually I get caught up. Lucky to have good help that helps get the job done.

Interesting Michael and yes, I will concur. Unfortunately, because 7 is a prime number, during the cell season the days have only numbers not names.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Nothing I could ever keep together in my head without a good schedule. .
    Yes me too and thanks again for sharing.

It's nice having methods that I can record simply on the white board thst represent sometimes elaborate processes. Once the crew is trained, simple direction better conveys the marching orders and I find less confusion, especially if I stray the day off the normal beaten path

AA, please post a pic of your slide ruler when you get a chance. That is also another thought in my head I was hoping someone would mention

Along the lines of Mike's system, some operations just designate days of the week for jobs, then work backwards. Say if you want to catch on 18 days, work the system backwards to determine which days of the week are graft days. For some it just gets to be every day is a graft day so that cells are not the limiting factor. Extra cells are sold or tossed.
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    ....especially if I stray the day off the normal beaten path
    That's the truth. Even with a schedule I sometimes forget what day it is. Heck, half the time I don't know where I am or what I had for breakfast.

Luck enough to have an employee who keeps me on track. She usually asks me what day it is and if I get it wrong she tells me what I'm supposed to do today. I'm thinking about one beautiful queen and what her daughters might do, and another keeps me on schedule.

Wonder how a QCs incubator play into this queen rearing equation?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

At my day 9 after graft

Michael Palmer, Jim Lyon and or Joe Latshaw, do you track each generation and track specific breeding queen lines in your operation?
    Or do you take a more generalized approach
    Last edited by Ian; 02-08-2017 at 08:44 AM.

I only raise a handfull of queens for my personal use So I just use this web page to track what I should be doing or looking for each hive, you can print them right off

http://www.thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/

Michael Palmer, Jim Lyon and or Joe Latshaw, do you track each generation and track specific breeding queen lines in your operation?
    I'm not as scientific or selective as those two. Our selection process amounts to marking the 2 or 3 best producing hives in each location and selecting from those the following spring about the best 12 hives in terms of size, health, gentleness and laying pattern. Then we usually add in a couple of tf breeders. A few years I did ether rolls but found at that time of year when hives are growing so quickly that its a target rich environment for phoretic mites looking for open larvae and they were pretty hard to find. Now I just do a few ether rolls to ascertain what the general item levels might be.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I'm not as scientific or selective as those two. Our selection process amounts to marking the 2 or 3 best producing hives in each location and selecting from those the following spring about the best 12 hives in terms of size, health, gentleness and laying pattern. Then we usually add in a couple of tf breeders. A few years I did ether rolls but found at that time of year when hives are growing so quickly that its a target rich environment for phoretic mites looking for open larvae and they were pretty hard to find. Now I just do a few ether rolls to ascertain what the general item levels might be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast