What day do you transfer cells into incubator?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What day do you transfer cells into incubator?

What day do you transfer cells into incubator after graft?
    Transfer into hives on day 10 after graft.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What day do you transfer cells into incubator?

Ian I take my queen cells out on day 10 as normal, candle the cells put out all I can into hives and mating nucs, and any left over go into my incubator into separate cages. T.he only advantage of the incubator is that it allows me to keep those extra cells for a few days longer until I can find a home for them. I suppose if you want to double you queen cells by putting new grafts in every 6 days or so that would be a different story.
    Johno

Ian have you looked at this link for documenting your queen rearing.
    http://www.thebeeyard.org/queen-rearing-calendar/ I use their document to track from grafting.
    Johno

There is some variation commercially. Cells are pretty delicate shortly after being sealed, 5.5-6 days post graft. I remove and cage cells immediately after being sealed just handle carefully. The larva/pre-pupa feeds briefly after the cell is sealed before the cocoon is spun, so avoid banging the cells around and dislodging larva/pre-pupa. One word of advice, get a decent incubator with a second, high cut out thermostat. Too many cells have been baked when the thermostat fails. Heat kills faster than chilling...
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Thx guys. I was looking at cheap $200 wine coolers to convert into an incubator and came across this;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004A...ords=incubator

Heat and cool, enough space for what I'm interested in, cheap.
    Any thoughts ?
    Thx
    Last edited by Ian; 02-02-2017 at 05:52 PM.

Looks good Ian, How do you make up those queen cages? Check out that site I mentioned, put in a grafting date and you can get the story from egg to laying queen day by day.
    Johno

Not my pic, I got it off of google
    I checked out the site you mentioned
    That calander is good
    I used a Queen calendar last year, to help organize my work using a weekly graft schedule. And then put it into a daily graft schedule for about 2 weeks during the split.
    Very useful

ian, my schedule is such that i graft early in the day on friday. i go back late on tuesday and if find all the cells have been capped i bring them in. sometimes there are a couple not completely capped in which case i go back on wednesday.

day 10 ends up falling on a monday, allowing for placement in nucs on day 9 sunday. i've had a few that have emerged on sunday evening or monday morning. i have the incubator set at 93-94 degrees f. i may try turning the incubator down a degree this year.

the larva i pick are the smallest ones i can find, some just hatched, but some end up a little larger than that if i run out of tiny ones.
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

Queens hatch on a 16 day cycle. So the day you graft a larva is considered day 3. Wait until day 14 to transfer. So 11 days after your graft transfer. This will ensure you do not damage the wings as she is growing and will also ensure that one does not hatch to early and kill the others.

Hope this helps....
    Georgiabeeman

It depends on my goal. Usually I don't use an incubator because I have better luck with them emerging in the mating nucs and I have better luck with the bees caring for them. When I do use an incubator it's either to free up the cell starter for another batch, or because I'm going to be out of town when the cells need to go in the mating nucs. The first case, I put them in as soon as they are capped. The second case, I put them in before I leave town...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

More or less I want to use the incubator to stage the cells to help manage weather. Digging cells out of finishers during rain sucks.

Cells grafted on the 1st should always be out of the finisher by the end of the day on the 11th as its not unusual to have an early hatcher that night. Those cells, I like to incubate at a tad under 90 degrees, younger cells I keep at 93 to 94 degrees. I prefer transferring cells on the 11th day (though they usually begin hatching later in the day) primarily because they are a bit tougher. With a little more careful handling, I see no downside to installing 10 or even 9 day cells.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

A perfect temp. that I have adjusted in my small fridge incubator.
    The temp. is around 92.1 to 94.4 because I have 2 temp. reading devices. Somewhere in
    the middle of the fridge is the correct 93F that I'm looking for. On Lauri's post she mentioned about
    putting her cells at 92F. OT's post mentioned at 95F to hatch faster. Anyhow you have to experiment a
    bit to find out. The inside humidity is around 45-50 range.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Not my pic, I got it off of google
    Funny how the world turns ....

That incubator 'pic' in post #5 is actually a Lauri photo, posted to Beesource back in 2013, in post #4 of this thread:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ueen-emergence
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    I run mine at 92 with a 1 degree dead band, which means that it is always between 91 and 92. Had great success with those settings.
    Exactly.

You have to make sure you trust your temp readings. The unit you posted above still works great for me, but I have a separate thermometer inside for more accurate readings. 91 degrees puts my gestation perfectly timed. I can reduce the temp the last day slightly to delay emergence if weather is bad. I generally reduce the temp anyway, I think it hardens off the queens a bit. The only time I don't reduce temps near the end is if I also have another batch of newly placed cells in the incubator that need the full 91 degree temps.

The bottom is always cooler by about 1- 1 1/2 degrees so that allows me to move older cells down or emerged virgins to hold where it is a little cooler.

I've had this incubator since 2013,every season it runs constantly from mid April through mid August without being turned off. Although the Amazon reviews are poor, it has never failed me.

I use that same thermometer to monitor my graft frame under a damp towel. That magnifier uses a halogen light so I have to be careful with the heat, but it also comes in handy.

This give me a little time to set grafts if I am taking more than one batch from the same frame and grab lunch and a cup of coffee if I want to since I 'll have my veil up.

I did buy the newer model last year just to have as a back up and found it is a little smaller inside than this one. But they added another circ fan so the interior is a little more stable.

I place my cells in the incubator at day 10, unless circumstances force me to place earlier, like avoiding messy cells during the main flow.

Handling just capped cells are a delicate matter. I do this only when necessary and my emergence rate is slightly lower.

Tough cells are a lot easier to handle.

I place as many of the best cells as I can before they emerge. It's easy to head out the door several cells in my insulated lunch box with a disposable hand warmer. Collected mated queens are replace immediately with a cell. I carry that lunch box around with me all day, periodically refilling as necessary.

Anything that is questionable I let emerge in the incubator.

Last edited by Lauri; 02-03-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Lauri would you recommend this product?

I bought this one on Joe's recommendation. Probably more than most would need, but for me it was money well spent. The temp is digitally controllable down to 1/10th of a degree and humidity is easily maintained with a large sponge. It's large and deep enough to hold a total of about 18 deep frames 2 high on slidable trays. It is notable that it is designed to be placed in a room at a typical room temp and probably shouldn't be left in an unheated room though I've never experimented with that.
    http://www.gqfmfg.com/1500-series/1550-digital-hatcher/
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Ya something like that where I could slip in frames and go.

For me it was a pretty small price to pay for piece of mind when weighed not just against the dollar value of the cells but avoiding any chance of a disruption to your schedule. Nothing against Lauri's setup, its probably perfect for most but if you want the convenience of putting in multiple frame of cells quickly and simply (for us thats 60 to 80 cells per frame) its pretty hard to beat a larger incubator like this.

My model is great for someone starting out or on a small scale. That Exoterra unit also comes complete with a 12V DC car adapter that plugs into most vehicle outlets so if you transport from yard to another, it will keep contents both warm or cool as it has a cooling function as well for hot weather.

That GQF model is probably the next one I will be getting, but will pay extra for the clear door option.

I had started to make one out of a Cabelas dehydrator housing, just got too busy and didn't finish it. I took the guts out of a little giant for the heatign element and circ fan. It worked OK, but would prefer to order a standard element and thermostatic control. In a unit this big, keeping the humidity at the right level was challenging. But begin able to slip in a full deep frame was very convenient at times.

The dehydrator is digitally controlled, but is too forceful and a little too variable to use for cells. But I do turn it on to bring up to temp quickly.

The power, light and digital reading works without the heat and the fan, which is switched separately.

Last edited by Lauri; 02-03-2017 at 10:33 AM.
    Lauri Miller.
    Carniolan Hybrids. Glenn, Latshaw & Wild lines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast