What flowering plants do honey bees love to visit in the South during the Summer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: What flowering plants do honey bees love to visit in the South during the Summer?

Here in Texas we have a Dearth July until probably October. With that said I think all I can say is maybe a few trees in bloom and wild sunflowers. I suspect that non native species of plants/trees from stores that have been planted and watered by someone perhaps. Never know really what it is, but it's baffling non the less anything survives in Summer heat when everything turns brown. Flameleaf Sumac I have seen early spring blooms as well as early summer blooms different years. Odd that tree does that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What flowering plants do honey bees love to visit in the South during the Summer?

I'm now contemplating adding about 4 saucer magnolias to my ever-growing bee garden. Those are the ones blooming in the South now with white and pink flowers. These trees always have a ton of flowers on them, but will loose them if a hard freeze comes along. My question is to those folks that have these planted nearby, do you see many honey bees on them? As they are a magnolia, I would think yes. However, it would be nice to hear that honey bees are all over them.

Quote Originally Posted by barberberryfarm View Post
    I'm now contemplating adding about 4 saucer magnolias to my ever-growing bee garden. Those are the ones blooming in the South now with white and pink flowers. These trees always have a ton of flowers on them, but will loose them if a hard freeze comes along. My question is to those folks that have these planted nearby, do you see many honey bees on them? As they are a magnolia, I would think yes. However, it would be nice to hear that honey bees are all over them.
    Haven't every seen honey bees on them but mostly wasp and bumble bees on mine. I have magnolias that bloom later in the year and haven't seen honey bees on them either.

Thanks! I had a feeling that was the case as I haven't seen any positive articles regarding saucer (Jane) magnolias when I search the internet.

My wife has a few Lantana plants also, they bloom all summer until first freeze. Just be aware the plant is poisonous if ingested by people and pets, we have ours outside the yard fence on the woods treeline.

Check out the "Golden Rain Tree". Grows fast, and blooms thru June and into July. The bees will "wear it out". I bought a couple on ebay.

Has anybody mention Lilac yet? Do bees work on those? They bloom somewhere around May.
    I know for early Spring time the flowering quince they like and work hard on those for
    the pollen. Not sure about the nectar though.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Warren View Post
    Check out the "Golden Rain Tree". Grows fast, and blooms thru June and into July. The bees will "wear it out". I bought a couple on ebay.
    Pretty tree, but listed as invasive here

Western, regarding the lantana. I've read different reports on it. When in bloom are your honey bees all over it or do you just see one or two every once in awhile?

they like all of the salvias, absolutely adore Texas Sage, Vitex and Abelia (these are shrubs), but also many wildflowers. Lantana for me seems to draw more bumble bees than my honeybees. Salvias are perennial and definitely worth planting, mealy blue and the other blue tones seem to be preferred.
    Most of these are fairly drought hardy
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I went to a nearby retail nursery today that specializes in a wide variety of flowering plants and trees. I asked them what their recommendations were for some great flowering plants that bloom in central Alabama in July and August. Here are some of their suggestions which I wound up buying to go along with the plants I mentioned at the beginning of this thread - Jerusalem sage, Abelia, blue giant hyssop and Joe Pie weed for shrubs and dortmund rose and coral honeysuckle for climbers on the lattice fence which will each cover around a 20 feet spread. In all cases these plants are supposed to each produce tons of blooms. That is, of course, if I provide adequate water, fertilizer and sunshine for them to flourish.
    Petals From the Past?
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

My family and I are neighbors with my parents here on the farm. My mother has a very extensive flowered landscape. If all her beds were added together they would be well over an acre. I see lots of plants listed that she has, that I've never seen a honeybee on. She's got some small, dwarf type of magnolia. Never seen a honeybee on it. Also lantana, she has several different culitvars. Never seen a honeybee on it either. Purple coneflower, nope. Great for bumble bees, but never seen a honeybee on that either. Coral honeysuckle IMO won't be attractive to honeybees due to the depth of the flowers. She had that in her yard but it never did real well.

There are lots of flowers that honeybees won't touch. She's got a yard full of them that I never see a honeybee on. Purple coneflowers were a surprise. I had read they were honeybee magnets. I've looked mulitiple times over the past few years but never seen one on them.

She does have a row of old timey shrubs that bloom in July and August. I don't remember what they are called, but I will ask her if I can remember and post the name. I remember when I was a kid, the neighbor across the road had a row of them and we use to catch bumblebee moths off the flowers. I think it's Abelia, but I don't know what cultivar.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    Petals From the Past?
    Yes. Petals From the Past They have quite the selection.

What about the Japanese honeysuckle vine? Do honeybees work on them too?
    Maybe the flowers are a bit too deep.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Warren; just how fast does the "golden rain tree" grow from nursery size to a blooming tree? The mature tree in my area is about 18 ft tall and is a tremendous source of nectar over several weeks in late summer. Can't imagine it being evasive.

Western, regarding the lantana. I've read different reports on it. When in bloom are your honey bees all over it or do you just see one or two every once in awhile?
    Nothing like I see them on the Lavender, but the Lantana flowers all summer. They sure don't line up for as I have heard they do, but saw more activity during the dearth last summer than when there where other options. It could be related to the location ours are in as well, our plants get less sun than what is recommended, so maybe the flowers arent as prime as the folks planting them in full sun. Maybe just a decent emergency source for foragers.

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    What about the Japanese honeysuckle vine? Do honeybees work on them too?
    Maybe the flowers are a bit too deep.
    We have that growing wild on our farm. I might see one or two honey bees on them, but not a lot. Another beekeeper I know said one time their nectar was too watery. Don't know if that was true, but that's what he told me.
    Started beekeeping in 2013 and having a blast with my 12 small cell hives!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    Warren; just how fast does the "golden rain tree" grow from nursery size to a blooming tree? The mature tree in my area is about 18 ft tall and is a tremendous source of nectar over several weeks in late summer. Can't imagine it being evasive.
    I'll have to keep my eye out for some of those golden rain trees. I bought a couple at the last bee symposium in 3 gallon containers, but I don't think they got enough water and they pretty much cooked in the summer heat down here. If I find them again, I'll make sure I put them on irrigated rows which get watered regularly rather than once every week or two.
    Started beekeeping in 2013 and having a blast with my 12 small cell hives!!

I went to another favorite nursery of mine today, Southern Frowers, looking for golden rain trees. Unfortunately, they don't sell those but they do sell tea olive trees which are in full bloom right now down here. Anyone have any luck getting their honey bees to visit them when they are it bloom as they have a ton of flowers?

oldforte, i saw a 2ft volunteer sprout under a neighbor's mature tree that had flowers on it this summer, so it blooms pretty quickly. i'm going to transplant my trees to my yard before spring using some horse litter and miracle grow and try to push them. the golden rain tree is native to China. i read in a couple of places that it is "fast growing".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast