My journey towards treatment free - Page 5
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: My journey towards treatment free

That to do is done. I have been doing a bit of extracting already.
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

good to hear it man. so you'll get to keep on beekeeping for at least another season.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Yes, my plans are to continue keeping bees into the foreseeable future. I have established an out yard that will hopefully be good forage for my bees. It certainly allows me to keep the strength up on freshly made nucs. I am also clearing some pines to get a bit more room to place hives on home farm. The wife was OK with the fence line clearing but became wise to my ways when she saw what else I cut.

Have a flow going with golden rod, crepe myrtle and wild clematis. I have been checking my nucs. All are queen right and raising brood. I gave extra boxes to the ones that needed them. Some I put into 8 frame hives since I was close to out of nuc boxes. I don't figure that I'll see much comb drawn, but I am daring some... I have a few that did not have much in the way of stores. I put a hive top feeder on and fed a bit since we look to have a few rainy days in the forecast.

good report tpope, thanks for the update. i've been wondering about how things were progressing down there in haralson.

i'm thinking we'll see an uptick in the nectar flow once that rain passes through.

did your autumn olive transplants take? a handful more small ones have sprung up this year that could be moved this winter if you are interested.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

The only one that did not make it was the large one that we both felt like might not live. I was going to root some but felt that they had not grown enough yet. I also don't have my mist propagation bed setup. I'll fertilize a bit later this fall. We'll see about those sprouts.

Quote Originally Posted by tpope View Post
    The only one that did not make it was the large one that we both felt like might not live. I was going to root some but felt that they had not grown enough yet. I also don't have my mist propagation bed setup. I'll fertilize a bit later this fall. We'll see about those sprouts.
    Kudos to everyone who has contributed to this thread! As Winter approaches, I'll hope that the discussion continues. Thanks!

I have no intentions of running away. I recon that you'll be able to read a plenty. My writing my ramble a bit but I am just sharing what I am learning and seeing.

I made some migratory hive tops from the scrap plywood that I had laying around. I would have thought that 3/4 inch with a coat of oil based sealer and then a coat of oil based porch paint would have sealed this just fine. Wrong. It has delaminated badly. I'll be using Advantek from now on for my bottom boards and migratory tops. I cut out some tops last year and allowed them to be used without paint. They were impressive.

Spent a couple of hours this weekend pounding in some rebar stakes and ratchet strapping hives down. Irma is forecast to pass a bit to my west as a tropical storm.

The bees don't care. They are on a flow of nectar and have two kinds of pollen to gather.

I just got to check my outyard this afternoon. Everything looks good. At home, Irma blew one tree down on Sunday morning, left me with leaves and branches to clean up and rained about 7 inches of rain. Much of the golden rod has not begun to bloom.

My apiaries smell like the gym right now. Golden rod is close to full bloom and the bees are bringing in pollen and nectar. Rather nice flow. Some nucs still have a few drones being tolerated.
    I pulled frames and bees to make up a couple of nucs for breeder queens. I feel that I am going to have to keep a sharp eye on them until the banked queens get started laying. My bees are raising brood well now and have a good flow. Maybe I can get some frames drawn.

pretty much the same here tpope with exceptionally strong foraging seen during the afternoon hours.

i'm only getting a faint whiff of goldenrod in my yards. it appears that they may be preferring something else at this time but i'm not sure what that would be.

good luck with the queens!

Here in Finland some warmer weather finally arrived. We had to wait all summer! Now bees are collecting deep blue pollen, maybe thistle?
    Weaker nucs have capped brood and queens laying. I havenīt looked at the stronger ones. All winterfeeding is done.

Wow blue pollen would be different Juhani. I have no idea what it may be.

I checked my breeder queen nucs today. I found emergency queen cells in both on the frames I added from the outyard last weekend when I realized that I needed more bees. I lost too many that returned to their original hives. One nuc had ate enough candy to release the attendants but was still blocking the queen from escaping. Since they were feeding her through the wire, I released her into the hive.
    The other had been released and was already laying. I did not look over the entire frame looking closely for eggs once I found them, but the area that they were displayed a nice pattern.

I present to you Y24 from Latshaw Apiaries.
    IMG_0358.jpg
    Last edited by tpope; 09-29-2017 at 04:30 PM.

tpope,
    a nice fat queen
    juhani,
    here blue pollen is from phacelia

Thanks Si. She has been an egg laying machine so far.

We had our first frost this morning. A low of 37F and a high of 61F today. Bees are still finding pollen this afternoon so I doubt that the frost killed everything. Got a light and darker yellow coming in. But with it being the first frost, I have been taking an inventory of my bees and equipment as I prepare for winter. I find myself having grown to 32 hives. I feel that I have the drawn and filled comb to overwinter these bees. How to handle the next spring will be educational...

very nice progress for the year tpope, congrats!

Thanks Si. She has been an egg laying machine so far.

We had our first frost this morning. A low of 37F a
    You had a frost at 37 degrees? Must be different in Georgia.

Wow blue pollen would be different Juhani. I have no idea what it may be.

I present to you Y24 from Latshaw Apiaries.
    IMG_0358.jpg
    It actually pretty sure was Phaselia as Sibylle said.

Were the workers around the queen her offspring? Several different colourings.

Very nice,tpope,good progress! Luck to you!

Could be the yellow bees are the first hatched from your yellow queen?
    The grey ones the older ones?
    If you consider bee math....

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast