My journey towards treatment free - Page 3
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: My journey towards treatment free

Im not sure if you have ever heard of OTS queen rearing (on the spot). Mel disselkoen is a large pusher off this tactic and actually named it and has an awesome book over it. You do not have to graft anything and the book has in depth pictures through the steps. No need to purchase bees after learning this. Also by using his method there are brood breaks which will help in combating mites due to the mites hatching out of brood and if there is no brood then there can't be any might reproduction!! Something you might look in to

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

tpope, the hardwoods here haven't started greening up yet, how about down by you?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by Stiddfamilyapiary View Post
    Im not sure if you have ever heard of OTS queen rearing (on the spot). Mel disselkoen is a large pusher off this tactic and actually named it and has an awesome book over it. You do not have to graft anything and the book has in depth pictures through the steps. No need to purchase bees after learning this. Also by using his method there are brood breaks which will help in combating mites due to the mites hatching out of brood and if there is no brood then there can't be any might reproduction!! Something you might look in to
    Welcome to beesource! Actually, I have an autographed copy of Mel's book. I choose to graft so that I can raise as many queens as I want from a specific one...
    Working to propagate my survivors and staying treatment free USDA Zone 7b

Yes squarepeg, the early ones are just peaking out. I have several Sassafras near the house that are blooming. But, nothing major yet.

I am trying to have patience and not start too early... I have drones capped in all of my larger hives. I did not see any swarming preparations when I inspected last weekend. I did give a couple of shakes of nurse bees to a nuc that needed them. The hive they came from is really strong. Several queen cups that are dry.

good report, many thanks. i have a lot of sassafras on the property but it's not blooming yet. seeing pretty much the same in my hives as you.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

I came in from work yesterday to find a weaker hive that was building well getting robbed out. It was gone when I saw it. I think that I know the culprit. I am torn between requeening or just breaking them down for nucs.

On a positive note, my checker boarding efforts are doing well. The queens have expanded the brood nests upward. I saw drones flying and picked one up to view. He seemed to have had quite a day with someone's virgin. I had lots of bees that were orienting in the afternoon sun.

The cold snap does not seem to have harmed the trees. I have seen a couple of Poplars that are leafing out.

I spent today building nuc boxes that are divided the long way to use as queen mating nucs. I have the frames cut and built and the boxes mostly painted. I want to get them drawn by my nucs I am using as building resources. I also built a swarm trap from a rotted bit of an old deep.
    Last edited by tpope; 03-18-2017 at 09:13 PM. Reason: changed wording for clarity

seeing similar evidence of drones mating here also tpope, and the nectars and pollens are flowing nicely as well. i'm going to try splitting one or two of the larger colonies using the artificial swarm method sometime next week. by the time those new queens are ready for mating we should be in pretty good shape with weather and drone availability. i'm going to hold off on grafting for a little longer, in part because i want more bees in the hives to make splits with, and in part because i would like us to be closer to swarm season.

I'm getting ready to graft. Queens grafted now will take mating flights in April... I have drawn frames for my 3 Mann Lake mating nucs. That's medium depth, half frames, three to a side and room for six. I built out 3 deep nucs that have 5 half frames to each half. I keep flip flopping between Cloake board and Joseph Clemens nuc sized queenless starter/finisher. I want to make several rounds of queens and really increase my numbers this year.

awesome. i'm still stuck using five frame (full sized) deeps for mating nucs, and so won't be able to make as many new queens. maybe next year....

i think you are a good week or two ahead of us as the tulip poplars aren't leafing out here yet.

good luck with the queen rearing tpope!

I am using my overwintered nucs as brood factories this year. Most are filling 2 boxes and have a third added with 4 frames of comb and 2 half frames of foundation. I gotta get my deep, minis drawn sometime...

Cloake board it is this time. I set up for grafting Friday.

very cool. i believe your timing is right on the money.

Today, I removed the uncapped brood from the deep where I will be placing grafts tomorrow and slid the board in to make the top queenless. Searching through the frames I found one that had a queen cell started in a cup that was on the frame bottom. Judging from the size of the larvae, it was an egg when I set the hive up with a cloake board. I saw the cup earlier but did not spot an egg... It went into a nuc. I did see eggs that had not hatched yet on a frame. I'll be looking there for my grafting stock as tomorrow will be day 3... I placed 2 very nice pollen frames that contained a bit of nectar next to where the grafts will hang. I had a couple of frames that were mostly nectar and I used drawn comb to give space for more nectar and 2 half frames of foundation as an I dare ya...
    Redbuds are blooming along with choke cherries and Dogwood. The bees seem to be on a strong flow. The weather appears to be good for as far as one can predict. Spring is here...

I grafted 14 cups Friday. I picked up some 3.75 reading glasses and parked my truck so that I had good sunlight behind me. The glasses were a bit of a pain to wear. Kinda like when I first started wearing bifocals... i was able to see the freshly hatched larvae next to the eggs rather clearly. I cut the height of the comb down for access ease. I used a chinese grafting tool. My steering wheel provided a rest for the frame. I know that folks recommend that one should cover the grafted cups with a damp towel to keep them from drying out. I really think that they are like me and loose their count and where they are... the towel is a great tool for keeping up with what is done and which is next. I was a bit surprised to hear the cell builder when I approached it with the cell bar. Folks are right about the whine they have. I thought that I heard them sigh when I put the cell bar in.

Quote Originally Posted by tpope View Post
    ...I thought that I heard them sigh when I put the cell bar in.
    that was probably you sighing and you didn't realize it.

fingers crossed for your grafts tpope!

Well, I think that my deliberations are done. I will be setting up a dedicated queenless cell builder. I had poor results with my efforts at using a cloake board.

I followed the directions as can be found online and beesource. I had 8 of 14 grafts accepted and being well tended when I removed the board on day 2. Then judging from the size of the larvae, they were abandoned. The nurse bees went back to the bottom frames of brood and left the queen cells to perish.

I am now confident that I can identify and graft the correct aged larvae. I did get a queen cell from the bees effort. Time will tell how that plays out.

My production hives are strong and worrying me that they may swarm despite my efforts. I will be making splits soon as I would rather have bees than honey this year.

dang! how many frames of brood did you have in the upper box that you put the grafts in tpope?

these are the instructions i've followed:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/b81244acaa22...&alloworigin=1

the only glitch i've had is not making sure to remove any cells started on the brood frames in the upper box. the result was rogue virgins that destroyed a number of the grafts.

I had 5 deep frames of brood in an 8 frame hive.

are you saying that you have two 8 frame deeps with a cloake board in the middle, and five frames of brood in the upper 8 frame deep?

Actually in thinking about it this morning, there was a medium above the deep that had brood on 4 frames too.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast