3rd week of my first mead/ here are my gravity readings so far. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 3rd week of my first mead/ here are my gravity readings so far.

Thank you tenbears,

I should update. The 3 individual gallons are and have been for 2 weeks now at about 70 degrees. Also, the guy from the brewshop suggested I hold off on any nutrients and just add a half cup of sugar to each. I did this by making a 2:1 syrup and adding to each.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    Thank you tenbears,

I should update. The 3 individual gallons are and have been for 2 weeks now at about 70 degrees. Also, the guy from the brewshop suggested I hold off on any nutrients and just add a half cup of sugar to each. I did this by making a 2:1 syrup and adding to each.
    I would have added Honey as we are making mead, But at this point it is more important to get the ferment back on track than to be able to proclaim it as "mead" You will know if the addition worked in a few days.

Thank you tenbears,

I wish I held off on going to the brew store or at least realized on my own that honey would have been the better choice.

All is not lost. I got what seems to be really good info here with no conflicts. Thank you all. I will update when I take my next readings.

How are things going? Any sign of an active ferment?

An early riser as well tenbears lol. I worked late all week and today is my only day off. Spending sun up to sun down in the tree stand. I'm going to try to take sone readings tonight when I get in. I will update. Thanks for checking in.

Good luck in the tree stand! Our season is over now. But we will go for Hog the end of next month just a take the edge off hunting Fix.

Ok, wind picked up a bit and chased me right out of the stand. Came back home for a break and will give it a go this afternoon. Anyway, as for the science experiment in the guest bath...

Gravity readings actually went up. I am guessing from the added sugar 4 days ago.

1. From 1.038 to 1.052
    2. From1.058 to 1.060
    3. From 1.034 and still 1.034.(this is the one with the apples and I added sugar to this as well.

The sugar added was 1 cup of sugar divided into 3 individual gallons. Not sure if that is important info.

the rise in temperature can account for the slight increase in gravity. And/or parallax when reading the tube.
    Have you added more yeast yet, a la the stuck fermentation rescue discussed earlier? Agitated a little bit?

Did you take a SG reading when you first added the Sugar? The additional sugar would naturally increase the SG. to know if the ferment is going you would have needed to know where the SG went when you first added the additional sugar. Then track to see if it falls. Is there good activity in the airlock?

Here is MY suspicion, Since the temperature was within the tolerances of the EC-1118 yeast, and the SG was well below that which could result in Alcohol tolerance being exceeded. Adding to that, The fact that this is a mead. (honey is notorious for lacking nutrients) I would suspect the stalled ferment was due to a lack of nutrient. The apples would provide some nutrients thus the activity in that ferment. Which was why I suggested adding the nutrients in the beginning. Take another SG reading tomorrow so we can determine if a ferment is actually going or the mead has stalled completely! Then we can take it from there.

Thanks Tenbears,

I will take readings tonite. The only problem is that the brew shop will close by the time I get home from work. If nutrient is needed, and I'm sure it is (I don't know why I let the guy at the brew store talk me out of it), should I chop up some raisins and add to play it safe? Also I just read that yeast will eat dead yeast and that if you boil a pack of yeast and kill it that it will act as a nutrient. I do have an extra pack of ec-1118.

Update. Yesterday's reading vs today.

#1 1.052 to 1.050
    #2. 1.060 to 1.060
    #3. 1.034 to 1.030 (apples).

I assume these changes are unimpressive. I will be going to a different place tomorrow to get nutrients, since the guy here in town is just not cooperating. He literally won't sell me nutrients. He had me take more yeast and add it dry. I figured it couldn't hurt so I did. I have to admit though, airlock activity increased significantly in a very short amount of time. I still don't care for this shop manager. Who doesn't sell you what you ask for and just gives you for free what you didn't ask for? I just want the DAP.

Ask For fermaid K It has fatty acids and other nutrients important to Healthy yeast as well as DAP in it. It Will do a lot for your ferment.

Thank you Tenbears. I will get it this afternoon. If only I demanded this the first time around, the ferment would have been well on its way.
    Thanks again,
    Todd

Probably be done by now! Let's hope it will run it's course after this. without having to make a starter.

Update:

I added fermaid-k on Jan.31 (readings on Jan 30 and 31 were the same).

New readings on Feb. 2

#1 was 1.050 dropped to 1.046
    #2 was 1.060 dropped to 1.054
    #3 was 1.030 dropped to 1.022

It's moving again, just not sure if fast enough (especially 1 and 2). Is it time to consider the starter?

as long as they are dropping you should be good to go The fermaid will help the yeast multiply, The more it multiplies the more it will ferment. Keep us apprized.

Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    Update:

I added fermaid-k on Jan.31 (readings on Jan 30 and 31 were the same).

New readings on Feb. 2

#1 was 1.050 dropped to 1.046
    #2 was 1.060 dropped to 1.054
    #3 was 1.030 dropped to 1.022

It's moving again, just not sure if fast enough (especially 1 and 2). Is it time to consider the starter?
    Glad to see you got things going again! I suggested nutrient early on because the info you gave indicated to me you needed it. Have you tasted it? Hopefully your mead has not turned with all the exposure it has had. I would not worry with a starter just yet, as it is dropping and hopefully you have yeast multiplying.

Thanks folks!

Have you tasted it?
    I have tasted it. It doesn't taste fowl. Just kind of like a slightly carbonated honey water.

I'll update again after next readings.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoRaptor View Post
    I would not worry with a starter just yet, as it is dropping and hopefully you have yeast multiplying.
    Of coarse not, WHY WOULD YOU USE A STARTER IN A FERMENT THAT IS GOING?

CR was answering my question from my post #35. I don't think they were considering a starter.

WHY WOULD YOU USE A STARTER IN A FERMENT THAT IS GOING?
    Panic and ignorance. By year 2 of beekeeping I was told and understood that many times it is better to do nothing than to act blindly and in haste. It applies to more than just beekeeping. Thankfully I did not act and waited for the logical solution.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast