Canvas inner cover - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Canvas inner cover

I go thru a bag everyother day in horse and cow feed try some farms to find some
    Friend tells me take time to stop and smell the roses I say "I do then I take 10 steps quicker to make up for lost time"

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I'm confused about why anybody would use a material porous or not on top of a hive in the winter? Doesn't it get soggy and trap moisture down in the hive body? I can see maybe in the summer to cover a double Nuc . I don't see any advantage. Cheaper?

One advantage, canvas can be rolled back just 1 or 2 frames at a time when inspecting, minimizing disturbance to the bees.

Canvas is woven in a specific pattern to minimize wicking. That's what makes it so useful for tents and tarps. I can see it's uses as an inner cover, but I would be careful not to allow any portion of it to be exposed to weather. But if it is used like a wooden inner cover with a telescopic outer cover, I don't see how it would be a problem. Other fabric weaves may be more prone to wicking. Muslin for example, would make a great temporary cover while the top is off, but is more efficient at wicking, so I personally would not use it as an inner cover.

Back in the 80's we used scraps of linoleum for inner covers. Cut to fit with a knife and cut a hole in the center for ventilation. Had no problems with it. Don't know why we changed to the wooden inner covers?

What Paul Kelly and the honeybee research centre at U Of GUELPH uses is actually a canvas plastic coated painters drop cloth. It comes in a 8x12 sheet it's comparable to the grain bags but slightly heavier pressing down on the top bars more.

I've been using plastic inner covers for 40 years. Best investment I ever made. OMTCW
    Plastic Inner Covers
    Model #: 51A
    Tired of replacing rotted inner covers? Try our Plastic Inner Covers! They are molded with two wedges that sit on the top bars to prevent sagging. Vents allow moisture to escape. Available in 10-Frame only. Proudly made in the USA. Kelly's

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Farms View Post
    What Paul Kelly and the honeybee research centre at U Of GUELPH uses is actually a canvas plastic coated painters drop cloth. It comes in a 8x12 sheet it's comparable to the grain bags but slightly heavier pressing down on the top bars more.
    AJ, thanks for that info. Does this plastic coated canvas breathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    Since it is a woven cloth im pretty sure it would.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Farms View Post
    Any idea of where to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by Cuttingedgelandinc View Post
    Hobby shop, fabric store, painter supply store ???
    That's my guess.

https://www.amazon.com/Essentials-9-.../dp/B000ICPMTO

I hope I'm not violating any rules here. Here is the drop cloth AJ describes, they are much cheaper without the plastic coating but if I'm reading the info correctly the coating helps them lay flat. This is a 48" x 48" drop cloth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Edit: JW's is cheaper, lots cheaper.

Better hurry only 19 left.

Ill just use plain canvas its 5 bucks a sq yard

I've been using feed bags for 15-20 years and would not consider going back to inner covers. I get them from Agway. Less than $2 each. They have two sizes, one for 50 lbs of feed and one for 80 lbs. I use the larger.
    Lloyd Spear

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I've been using feed bags for 15-20 years and would not consider going back to inner covers. I get them from Agway. Less than $2 each. They have two sizes, one for 50 lbs of feed and one for 80 lbs. I use the larger.
    Can you post pictures? I am interested in seeing what these look like on the hive.

Thanks!
    In my second winter with 3 Langs and 2 Top Bar hives
    https://beeswitheeb.wordpress.com/

The UofG drills upper entrances in their brood boxes for ventilation.
    I want bees that make up for my mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by patncin View Post
    I can't find polly bags any where here unless you buy seed and I need a lot of bags not seed were can you get them in bulk?
    Is there a Feed Mill near where you live? Go there and see if they will sell you some feed sacks. Or follow a Farmer home and see if they will give them to you.

My friend Jon uses tar paper. Many years ago, about 20, he and I were on our way to southern Florida with our hives. Jon spotted an Army Surplus Store. He pulled his truck and trailer over as quickly as he could. We walked back to the Army Surplus where Jon bought an Army Tent. When we got to Moorehaven, where we set off the hives in a couple yards, when cut that tent up into "inner covers". All of Jon's hives have flat plywood covers with a hole the size of a pint canning jar lid, the same size as a 5 lb honey jar cap. So when that hole doesn't need to be exposed so bees can feed from his syrup buckets he likes to have something closing that hole off from the inside of the hive.

Canvas holds up better than tar paper when you take it off and use it again. Don't ask me why he doesn't use the canvas anymore.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by ron manos View Post
    i was thinking of using canvas but i thought it would give shb a place to hide.
    It does. But it also gives bees a place to make shb corrals, so if you tear off the canvas quickly you might have a chance to give the shb a hive tool test.
    Mark Berninghausen

Good question! The Honey Bee Research Center at the University of Guelph uses canvas inner covers extensively. I look forward to the discussion and hearing from those who have used both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnjjULpVsDM
    I watched these a while ago. They never seem to clean the burr comb off the top of the frames . This height automatically gives room for the bees to travel over the top of frames at will. Any time they lift the cover there are lots of bees on the cover and the top of the frames. They never scrape the top of frames when moving from hives to nukes to mini nukes.
    On the border near 04619
    Zone 5B @ 29m

I also plan to try some canvas inner covers after watching the UoG videos. I also wanted to save some money on inner covers after purchasing about 75 boxes from Albert Zook. I read Charles Dadant's book "The Dadant System Of Beekeeping" where they used oilcloth for inner covers. I'm going to try some oilcloth inner covers as well. You can buy oilcloth from denverfabrics.com ($5/yd) or i think you can buy it at Walmart.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast