Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Palmer queen lines make up and history

13K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Cloverdale 
#1 ·
Does any one remember a post were Mike discussed the history and make up of his queens lines? I thought it was here on beesource but possibly some other site. It was a post that he talks about finding the right bees that worked best for him and that would survive his VT winters. I know it was quite a few years ago and I had no luck finding it under search. Maybe Mike could talk about it if he has time.

#35 ·
Yes, I guess it did. Not sure I really understand where it went and what it proved. I am hesitant to discuss it. I am really confused by what I was told as the study progressed. First year I was told that my stock was the only viable in October. Then, I was at a Penn State presentation in Burlington that showed one of the four that raced to the top of the graph. I was led to believe they were my stock. Then nothing was published. Then the leader retired. Then they came out with a lame conclusion that the only important thing in wintering was colony weight, and three is no difference between the northern raised stocks and the southern raised stocks. Well that's a bunch of poppycock. And I see one of the northern stocks was from WV. But originally, the other northern stock was from WM in PA. When was the WV stock substituted for the PA stock.WV northern stock?? Anyway, I don't know what else to say without calling out the researchers to explain their "study"...something I will never do. Anyone who has raised stock and actually run a breeding program, and selected stock for excellent wintering, knows the difference.

#38 ·
Michael,

The truth matters
"Anyway, I don't know what else to say without calling out the researchers to explain their "study"...something I will never do"
Odd seems a shift in the study.
Some of us have more faith in reality than "studies and papers"
Hence some aprension in taking all studies as gospel.

Thanks for the reply, maybe next time the "data" will get published.
Carry on

GG

#37 ·
[Never a dip in production.......can't supercede at the correct time, or even successfully../QUOTE]

Mike what do you mean by this? Deb
When a colony swarms, there is a dip in honey production for that year. And, if a colony waits to supercede until the queen is failing, there will be a dip in honey production that year. Some colonies go on and on, year after year. They requeen themselves when they feel necessary, and never a drop in honey production. I had one...original colony was established in 2001. In 2015 I took their queen as a breeder. Think of it. 14 years and the best producer in its apiary every year.

#39 ·
Not going near the North /South question. (A little surprised myself, must be getting old)

Have some of MPs queens, daughters of two queenlines. A couple of individuals are snappy, a daughter of that line is not for a rookie. But **** I'm keeping her. Will not bother you if you don't bother them. Open the top too quickly and you are on your own. Will not chase you.
The other does not brood up as fast, produces as well. Like several of those queens.
As I said to Jennifer Lund, after doing this for nine years I now know what a good bee looks like. MP has run stationary hives for a long time, bred for that. North or South I don't know, his result for my climate, I do.

#40 ·
MPalmer: I'd guess if you don't get where the study went or what it proved (or the methodology) others will likely feel the same way when they read it.
What is the name of the study and author?

Who is WM in PA? The WV queens were from the queen breeder co-op there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.