rough cut lumber and kiln

Default rough cut lumber and kiln

I am looking for a place to buy some rough cut lumber that has been through the kiln. I am located in Missouri but am willing to travel to surrounding states if needed. Looking for 1 x 12 for making hives. thanks dennis

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: rough cut lumber and kiln

I would check your local Craigslist for lumber in your area. There are probably some "hobby" sawyers and small tree service guys around there who do sawing. There's a guy up here who retired and has a small mill. I get lumber from him from time to time. He will do custom cutting if you have your own logs, too.

Trumbull County dry kiln Southington Ohio.

You could try this link. http://woodmizer.com/us/Services/Find-a-Local-Sawyer

Also the name of the Mo. rep is Will Baugh. He is a very nice guy, I'm sure he would be willing to help.

Alex

I just had 1100 feet of 1x10's cut from my logs. It cost $150.00. They are not kiln dried but I stacked them so they will air dry. Next summer they will make a lot of good boxes.

Keep in mind that most of the trees in our area are hard wood.

Also keep in mind that when you are contacting the mills, you'll want to ask about 4/4 rough cut lumber, not "1-by". Wider material in pine shouldn't be an issue in many geographies, but I'm not familiar with Missouri in that respect.
    Humble assistant to beek Alison as well as family purveyor of luxury Bee condominiums and Paparazzi activities...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
    Also keep in mind that when you are contacting the mills, you'll want to ask about 4/4 rough cut lumber, not "1-by".
    And 4/4 is read: "4 quarter"
    ~25 hives, 8 frame-medium; pacific coast; zone 8b; long, cool, wet winter; mild summer; 90" avg. rainfall

These are very god suggestions, lumber like most of the other trades seems to have its own language. Another good term to look up, for your purposes, would be ‘hit and miss’. It is when they run it through the planer to get the high spots off for stacking or wood that may have been just a smidge thin to have been properly surfaced. They will also express costs 'per one hundred' or per one thousand which is going to be cost per one hundred or thousand board feet
    When you tell them you are looking for ‘cheap’ they will start telling you what they have, it will be up to you to understand them and determine if it meets your needs or not (I ended up with 1400 BF or 4/4 hemlock for $0.40/BF) not what I set out for but my biggest problem now is all I have left in the stack is boards that are so wide that I do not want to use them for supers-high class problems.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

My two hobbies are bees and sawmilling. I have some lumber air drying that i plan on havin made into boxes later this year. I expect air dried to be sufficient. I dont have a kiln myself yet. If it works it will be significantly cheaper. Also my woodmizer cuts pretty smoothe so i will be skipping the planer. If it all works out this summer i will post about it.

I stack lumber in my greenhouse during the summer to dry it out. 10 weeks in the greenhouse yields moisture levels comparable to the best kiln dried. Temperatures of 125 degrees on a hot day are typical. I can get it up above 150 degrees by closing all the doors and vents.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    I stack lumber in my greenhouse during the summer to dry it out.
    A friend and his son, from Allerford, UK, make bee hive equipment commercially. They use Western Red Cedar...yes the tree stock was imported to the UK from western US a long time ago. They use a portable saw mill to cut the timber, and a sun heated kiln to dry it. Nice operation. I could get lost in their wood shop.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...pslk77doda.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...psohig9iax.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dennis crutchfield View Post
    I am looking for a place to buy some rough cut lumber that has been through the kiln. I am located in Missouri but am willing to travel to surrounding states if needed. Looking for 1 x 12 for making hives. thanks dennis
    you have a planer? jointer? how are you going to prep the wood?
    last time I was looking at red oak they had 1x6 finished on all sides for cheaper then 1x6 4x4. just crazy.
    Terrence

kiln dried cypress listed on craigs list right now just outside Brownsville TN, not really that far from the bootheel either and cheaper than pine at lowes. https://jacksontn.craigslist.org/mat/5955362717.html
    Last edited by swarmtrap; 01-16-2017 at 08:04 AM.

I am kinda new to the board making but I can see no real reason for kiln dried lumber for out side use. I think lots of kilns take the moisture content down to about 7 percent. If you put that out side it is going to swell. I would think a good air dried wood would be more stable. I guess maby the one bennifit would maby be the speed of drying. I am air drying my lumber and it does depend on time of year what speed you lumber dries. If you have a place to sticker and stack for awhile, you would not need a kiln for hive wood.

Again, I am a bit new at this.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b