Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

dutch oven in winter times

20K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Oldtimer 
#1 ·
This is to have a party with friends outdoors.
Even better when there is snow!

Brown the beef in the open dutch oven, use red wine, salt and pepper, dried rosemary and thyme or other herbs you like and some spoonfuls of dark honey to make a sauce, close up and keep over
embers for 4 hours ( 2kg of meat).
Eat with fresh sour bread.
Cheers!

Automotive tire Cookware and bakeware Rock

Dish Food Cuisine Rinderbraten Ingredient

See less See more
#11 ·
SiWolKe for a time when I was a teenager I did a lot of my cooking in what you call a Dutch Oven. One of my first beekeeping jobs, the boss owned some land which was the basis of his beekeeping business. I had 2 options, one was to rent somewhere to live in the nearest town about 1/2 hour drive away, or the boss offered me to live rent free in a shed on his property the other advantage I wouldn't have to drive to work every day.

So I went with the free rent option and stayed there around 2 years. There were no cooking facilities but there was thousands of acres of bush plenty of wood fuel so I bought what you call a Dutch Oven and that was my cook pot, I got pretty good at cooking almost anything in it even desert, was also able to shoot small game literally out of the shed window so fresh meat.

Kept that Dutch Oven for years afterwards it was not till I got married my wife forced me to throw it away.

#15 · (Edited)
Good advise SiWolKe but camp oven days are over I live in a house in the suburbs now, I am very civilised ;). Did get to have some fun times with my children and the camp oven though, before it was finally disposed of.

Have been thinking once I'm out of bees I would like to pack up some stuff and go bush for a few months, would be a fantastic break. Not as fit as I used to be though.

#17 ·
It will have to happen sooner or later, price of honey dropping and all.

Thing is I really do want to do a bush trip but winter here is too cold and miserable it needs to be summer, but also I do want at least some bees till I die, maybe I'll have to put them under management for a season.

Or maybe I'll just do a quick 2 or 3 week trip once swarming is over and the hives are all boxed up, that might work. :)

Camp oven won't be part of my kit, too heavy, but there are other ways to achieve the same thing.

#21 ·
If she's taking good care of your bees going tf (zero resistant) then you will surely be without bees soon.
Then you can take your camping vacation sooner. Maybe she can use my mite bee bomb nuc approach allowing them
to build up resistant little by little before the big early Spring expansion is on. If not it would be a big crashed before the rebuilt, really!

#22 ·
Thing is Beepro, people get all hung up over being treatment free and think that is the be all and end all of beekeeping. My bees get treated for mites roughly once each six months. The other roughly 363 days of the year, bee work is about the important stuff, good beekeeping.

#23 ·
Well yes beepro, if OT would decide this. He is the prof and I´m of an open mind!

If he would let me care for his bees I would be honored and do what we think best with them :)
I imagine us sitting by the fire with the dutch oven and talking bees all night. You would be very jealous, beepro, about what I would learn!

I believe he would enjoy to work with me so much I would be able to convince him to try again tf.;)

#25 ·
In the U.S. the difference between a "camp oven" and a "dutch oven" is that the camp oven has legs and the dutch oven does not. How does that fit with your "slang dutch oven"? lol

I have about a dozen dutch ovens and at least 3 or 4 camp ovens. I need to go camping and put some of them to use.

I'm also a fan of sourdough bread. I started making all of my own bread about 7 years ago. Grocery store bread tastes so bland to me now that I won't normally touch it.

#26 ·
Ah, then it´s a camp oven. I was married for 30 years in december and my husband gave a fire bowl made out of stainless steel to use at home with my oven. So I will use it often in future.
I´m planning to build an outdoor kitchen in my garden.
FP I love this bread too and always keep alive a sourdough starter to bake my own bread.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.