Bottomboard screened or solid - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Bottomboard screened or solid

Quote Originally Posted by jbraun View Post
    I used Rusty Hills Farm design to make a hybrid screened bottom board that you can put an oil or diatomasious earth pan underneath to help with SHB and varroa. Thanks Rusty. Go to his web site and use the easy to follow plans.
    I built these and have had good success with them. They are on all my hives now.
    Let's Eat Grandmaw ........... Let's Eat, Grandmaw.......Grammar Saves Lives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I use screened boards year round. I have the insert in during spring during the initial brood cycle and remove it once the weather has warmed up. I take it out in the winter as (prevents bottom from icing up) but I use pieces of 2x4 to block the sides to prevent any rodents from reaching underneath the hive. All my hives have 3/4" pieces of plywood underneath to prevent squirrels/mice from getting underneath. I also put vaseline underneath the plywood to prevent ants from infesting the hive. In winter, I pile snow around my brood boxes for extra insulation and it prevents any wind from penetrating. I also do OAV through my screened bottom board instead of through the hive entrance.
    PC200018.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Je suis entièrement d'accord avec ce que vous dites.

We too have tried both types of bottom boards.

We live in a part of California where winters are mild, so I suppose that is a big factor.

Solid BB's did not work so well for us for a number of reasons...

1. Lots of crap built up on the bottom and this invited unwelcome visitors.
    2. Too hot in summers.
    3. No way to easily read the varroa mite count.
    3. Much heavier when lifting entire hives.
    4. Use much, much more wood that screened!
    5. Considering the extra wood costs, it was more expensive.

I found a way to build the sticky screened bottom boards for pennies...

We used scrap:

1x2 for the side rails.
    1x4 for inner connectors.
    3/4"x3/4" risers.
    1/8" screen.
    3/16" corroplast [massive amounts are free every two years after elections].

The largest complaints on screened bottom boards I have read about are costs and time.

Without paint and screens and staples, this version of the screen bottom board costs us less than 25 cents. With screen and paint and staples, maybe $2 at the most. A local bee supply was asking $60+ for their screen bottom boards. I think Mann Lake has some for $21.50.

Time was really not much of a factor once the machines were set up to cut and router.

Once all the parts were cut, the build time for this screened bottom board was about three minutes. The solid boards required about two minutes.

Largest time factor for us was actually the priming and painting!

Any thoughts?

SSB 2.jpgSSB 1.jpg

Unscientific on my part (the n is too small), but .... of the 4 hives I've had with screened, all failed. The hive I have with a solid has done beautifully, and made it through the winter. Go figure .....

Does coffee taste better black or with cream and sugar? Same kind of question. Answer: it is a matter of personal preference. The benefits of a SBB diminish the further north you go. You're in MO. I'd use a solid bottom where you are. Personally, I use a SBB here in VA on all my hives. Only one, the feral hive, would not draw comb all the way to the bottom of the frames. With the IPM board in, they are on the bottom of the frames now. One cool thing is I can look up through the screen for swam cells by using a flashlight and get a quick idea of how many frames of bees I have. Dont even need to open the hive.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    Does coffee taste better black or with cream and sugar? Same kind of question. Answer: it is a matter of personal preference. The benefits of a SBB diminish the further north you go. You're in MO. I'd use a solid bottom where you are. Personally, I use a SBB here in VA on all my hives. Only one, the feral hive, would not draw comb all the way to the bottom of the frames. With the IPM board in, they are on the bottom of the frames now. One cool thing is I can look up through the screen for swam cells by using a flashlight and get a quick idea of how many frames of bees I have. Dont even need to open the hive.
    JWPalmer,

Wow, I never even thought of looking up through the screen for inspections! Thanks for sharing that important tidbit of info. I hope to try it tomorrow and maybe add a mirror with the flashlight!

I am posting more pics of these screened bottom boards. So simple, so easy to build, so inexpensive, yet so incredibly effective for our specific location and needs...

And, a quick side note: I was thinking I could cut some pieces of 1/2" ply to seal the bottoms during the coldest parts of the winter...it would function exactly as a solid board. But our winters do not require such a modification.

Oh, I do apologize for being such a terrible artist! Did my best to assist the returning mated queens find their way home...

SSB 3.jpgSSB 4.jpgSSB 5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Farmercal View Post
    I am in a different climate than most of you. I started out with packages last year and screened bottom boards. I read a post on Beesource that indicated screened bottom boards can lead to absconding with packages, so I blocked the SBB up with a piece of plywood. After the bees finished the first deep and were working on the second deep, it was getting hot here in Florida. One hot day, I saw half the hive hanging on to the outside of the hive and bearding massively due to heat. I immediately took the plywood off and they quit bearding. I also have a small screened vent built into the modified top of each beehive so the air can circulate and to prevent moisture buildup due condensation. My bees seem to like the setup and were still alive the last time I check each of the five hives. This setup works well here in Florida.
    I agree neighbor. 26 out of 26 of my hives with SBB made it though the winter here although it was much colder than normal. I like the debris to fall through. And by looking through the hive I can get a quick gauge on how the hive is doing early in the season by how much light I can see down through the frames.

Thumbs Up Re: Bottomboard screened or solid

OK !
    Je suis d'accord avec (le plateau solide)

Soar, your bottom boards look very much like the ones I build, minus the fingerpainting. My cost using all new material is $5.70 each. I seal them off in the winter and open them when the bees start to beard. This year I need to get an upper vent on the hives also.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

JW,

May I ask how do you seal them off? I recently read how SBB can prevent massive bearding. What I did not know was using the SBB for venting will also help the bees become more productive! So this summer, I plan on opening the SBB's during the hot days.

I too need to discover a way to vent the top to avoid the condensation and the accompanying mold build up in our colonies. May I ask if you have found a good solution for an upper vent yet?

Thanks

Sealing off for the winter is, in my case, simply sliding a piece of 3/8" plywood cut 22"×14-3/4" into the bottom recess where the corroplast sheet normally goes. Since the recess is 3/8", it is a snug fit and the weight of the hive keeps it in place. For the venting, I am going to build screened inner covers and use a venting shim on top. Basically it is a 2" deep box with 1" holes cut it it and screened from the inside. No pics as I haven't made one yet but there photos on the net of this type of vent.

20180317_124515.jpg20180317_124431.jpg

Bonjour
    Je trouve que le meilleur plateau c'est celui-là:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6srpmYhKI

I am moving back to solid bottom boards. Screened bottom boards do not reduce mites and hives don't need as much ventilation as WE think they do.

Tom

My apiary is located in one of the dampest regions (former marsh land, now actively drained, winter water table 18" below the surface) in one of the dampest countries in the developed world, within which I run both types of floor.

Don't have much of a Varroa problem here, so the OMFs (Open Mesh Floors, as we call them) are used to provide all year round ventilation. All hives are sealed at the top, with bottom entrances. Those with solid floors encourage the build-up of black mould on those floors; those with full or partial (25-30%) mesh floors don't.

I do have a handful of hives on mesh floors over solid floors with a 3-sided eke (open at the back) in-between. Those are also free of black mould. Thus - moisture-laden air exiting via a mesh floor works well at this location.

LJ
    A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by souficoufi View Post
    Bonjour
    Je trouve que le meilleur plateau c'est celui-là:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6srpmYhKI
    Merci - Je pense que la planche solide est plus naturelle pour les abeilles et qu'elles s'adaptent mieux à une ruche. Simplement mon avis .....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123