Moving Honey Extractor to bottling Tank

Default Moving Honey Extractor to bottling Tank

Hello! Our farm is in the process of building a Honey processing room. We have an 18 frame extractor and a 16 gallon bottling tank. We will be running around 55 hives this year. In the past, we have always used buckets with two strainers on top for straining the honey out of the extractor. As you know, if there ever is a bottleneck in honey processing, it is straining honey out of extractor into a five gallon bucket. This year, we are looking into several options that will better streamline getting the honey from extractor to bottling tank without having to add heat to the honey. We are not against using a clarifier and a pump, however, we would like to keep honey in the 80/85 degree range.....which is what we keep the honey room while we are processing during harvest. The type of honey we produce is very slow to crystalize, so we like to stay away from heating if all possible.

If we do use a clarifier and a pump, at what point do we filter the honey? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Moving Honey Extractor to bottling Tank

You would likely set the sump in the floor to have the honey drain by gravity into the clarifier. Pump is on the floor and somewhere between the pump and bottling/settling tank is the filter. Get an inline filter. The clairifier gets most of the wax and stuff, the filter gets the last little bit.

Jean-Marc

Inline filter at Maxant?

Yes, something like that. There are other brands. This might be a bit pricey for 55 hives but if you plan to grow the business and or purchase other honey to pack then you can consider the maxant. I don't personally own that piece of equipment. I looks well made and would do the job. I don't know what the limit is as far as volumes of honey per day or even if you will ever approach that limit.

Jean-Marc

I have taken a five and drill a bunch of big hole in the bottom of it. And cut most of the center out of a lid. Then I use a five gallon paint strainer and a couple hose clamps and clamp the strainer on. Stack a good bucket, then cut lid, then holed bucket. And pour away. Next year I hope to get my clarifier up and running. And skip all of the buckets and go straight to my settling tank.

Maxant's filters are the basket/gravity type. Dadant has inline filters. Both require the honey to be more like 100F and ideally settled first. For cold honey, settling might be better. The old OAC filter was designed to filter cold honey. I am not sure if they were ever made in stainless steel.
    Last edited by zhiv9; 01-07-2017 at 07:33 AM.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

As a side note when my honey comes out I am running it through a course filter like you have in your kitchen sink.

You don't need filters if you get a big enough tank to extract into on Tuesday thru Friday, and drain on Monday.

Crazy Roland

Thanks for the feedback.

I use an era 50's/60's/70's setup to process about 6000 lbs of cold honey. We warm the room to 80ish, the spinner and extractor drain through two stainless screens into a box, the honey is then pumped through two socks into the bottling tanks.

So, I shouldn't have any issues moving the honey through a clarifier and a pump by keeping honey in the 80s? I really don't like heating honey more than I have to. If so, I was looking at the maxant pump and clarifier.

I'm an amateur, not even a sideliner (yet). But I try to read and remember. What was it I read about the temperature the bees try to keep the brood nest? 92F? 94F? something like that? Viscosity is strongly non-linear with temperature, and were you to adopt a "core-of-broodspace" temperature you might find everything flowing a bit more quickly/smoothly.

Just my 2 worth. Hope it is useful. Perspective matters. So do details. Arbitrary decisions are justifiable. It's best if you can do so without telling fibs, especially to yourself.
    "I thought I made a mistake once, but I was wrong." (heard often from the late David Sebree) Still making them, myself

>So, I shouldn't have any issues moving the honey through a clarifier and a pump by keeping honey in the 80s?

I use a 60 +/- year old Woodman pump. I can't say if other pumps will push it. Often however, Our honey must be colder than 80.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbrooks View Post
    So, I shouldn't have any issues moving the honey through a clarifier and a pump by keeping honey in the 80s? I really don't like heating honey more than I have to. If so, I was looking at the maxant pump and clarifier.
    I think you are going to struggle with a lot of the smaller honey pumps at that temperature. I think Maxant recommends >90F for their 1" pump. I have the Maxant filter and the honey really needs to be more like 100F. The same goes for the Dadant inline filter. Our Nassenheider bottling machine however pumps honey in the 70's and 80's with no problem at all. It can also be tough to get the air out of the honey in 80F range as well - the result is often cloudy liquid honey.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

I think my old Woodman is 1 1/4" going in and 1 1/2" going out. And my high tech final filters don't cause much back pressure.