Cold Crash a Mead?

Default Cold Crash a Mead?

Wondering pros and cons of cold crashing over letting it sit and rack several times?

If you cold crash do you have to sorbate? Or if it's close 1.00 it's done anyways?

Can all yeasts be cold crashed or only certain varieties?

Any wine or mead that you would not want to cold crash?

What is your process for cold crashing?

Any other tips?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Cold Crash a Mead?

[QUOTE=FlowerPlanter;1500180] Wondering pros and cons of cold crashing over letting it sit and rack several times?[QUOTE]

Cold crashing at least for me is if I want to stop fermentation without killing the yeast otherwise I just let the yeast go until they crap out.

[QUOTE=FlowerPlanter;1500180]If you cold crash do you have to sorbate? Or if it's close 1.00 it's done anyways?[QUOTE]

I believe sorbates are unnecessary and not good in my food or drink! With that said I avoid it as much as possible but I do use it from time to time. If you cold crash with a gravity of 1.00 or .99 there is no need to sorbate unless you back sweeten and that is if you don't want any further fermentation.

[QUOTE=FlowerPlanter;1500180]Can all yeasts be cold crashed or only certain varieties? [QUOTE]

All yeast will go dormant with cold temperatures. Wine and ale yeast normally first with Lager last.

[QUOTE=FlowerPlanter;1500180]Any wine or mead that you would not want to cold crash?[QUOTE]

Is it detrimental to a mead? I don't think so. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

[QUOTE=FlowerPlanter;1500180]What is your process for cold crashing?[QUOTE]

During the winter months I use my garage. Summer, I use a refrigerator.

[QUOTE=FlowerPlanter;1500180]Any other tips? [QUOTE]

None that I can think of.

Default Re: Cold Crash a Mead?

Thank you!

I think I will try it on a few new batches.