Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Cold Crash a Mead?

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  limberwulf 
#1 ·
Wondering pros and cons of cold crashing over letting it sit and rack several times?

If you cold crash do you have to sorbate? Or if it's close 1.00 it's done anyways?

Can all yeasts be cold crashed or only certain varieties?

Any wine or mead that you would not want to cold crash?

What is your process for cold crashing?

Any other tips?

#2 ·
Wondering pros and cons of cold crashing over letting it sit and rack several times?
Cold crashing at least for me is if I want to stop fermentation without killing the yeast otherwise I just let the yeast go until they crap out.

If you cold crash do you have to sorbate? Or if it's close 1.00 it's done anyways?
I believe sorbates are unnecessary and not good in my food or drink! With that said I avoid it as much as possible but I do use it from time to time. If you cold crash with a gravity of 1.00 or .99 there is no need to sorbate unless you back sweeten and that is if you don't want any further fermentation.

Can all yeasts be cold crashed or only certain varieties?
All yeast will go dormant with cold temperatures. Wine and ale yeast normally first with Lager last.

Any wine or mead that you would not want to cold crash?
Is it detrimental to a mead? I don't think so. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

What is your process for cold crashing?
During the winter months I use my garage. Summer, I use a refrigerator.

Any other tips?
None that I can think of.

#4 ·
Any 'lessons learned'?

I cold crashed my first 3 batches because i didnt want to use chems...
All the yeast dropped to the bottom within 3-4 days.
I racked and returned to the fridge. Another 3 to 4 days and it was a beautiful clear yellow.
Bottled and passed out to friends that have all suddenly decided that 'mead is really good.'
I dont know for sure but id think that if there is still a heavier gravity, that the yeast wont drop as fast... so it may require a very thorough fermentation.

Very eager to hear of your experiences.

#6 ·
They stay cold and are consumed quickly, im fully aware the yeast will awken at room temp. I came to the thread to ask about experience with cold crashing, not to read your statement regarding 'what and how' i do what i do will be harmful based off of the limited information i had put forth. Thanks for adding nothing to the conversation.

#8 ·
Cold crashing to stop fermentation is effective, but I would sorbate it as well to avoid restarting fermentation. The main thing I use cold crashing for is clarification, it help particulate drop out, allowing a more clear racking. I recently upgraded to a filter system (if you already use corny kegs and CO2, there are inexpensive filtering devices), so I won't need to use cold crashing as much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.