A helping hand for new Beekeepers

Default A helping hand for new Beekeepers

As a first year beekeeper, I have to admit I am a bit anxious, but hopeful & thinking positive that my bees will survive their first winter with me as their steward. I must thank the many contributors of Beesource for their knowledgeable answers to my questions, & to their own threads & the insightful conversations created among them. I learned a long time ago, better to use your eyes & ears instead of you mouth. Needless to say, this forum has made my very short list of "go to's" for answers when needed. Another great source has been our local bee association. I recommend all newbies & thinking about it's to seek out your local group. As it was, I attended several meeting, joined, became actively involved, & was asked to sit on the board of directors for 2017. As a newbee, I was humbled & honored. We are now at 512 members strong & are very active in our region. Last fall, we held a beginner's beekeeping school, an intensive two day course with a number of very knowledable & well respected speakers. I'm happy to announce that that school ihas now gone virtual. Each topic is given in its own video, so anyone can go in, pick any topic, & listen. And it's free. So you can even go back as many times as you like to review any topic. And.....we will be holding a course for advance Beekeepers this January 14th, with two very knowledgeable instructors speaking. Please take a look at the virtual school & let me know what you think. The only way we can improve is thru sharing & constructive feedback. Here's the link to the virtual school & the advance course can be found On our wevsite. Thanks again to all the contributors here. Whether you know it or not, you are teachers.

nashbee.org

http://nashbee.org/virtual-bee-school/

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A helping hand for new Beekeepers

Thank you for the link. I am going to forward it to my son-in-law who is my new bee yard helper.

I've tried to teach him all I know, but I think he needs to know more (laughs at self)

Glad to help,BeeMoose. As for me, I know one thing.....I'll always need to know more!

Hello Redhawk and BeeMoose,
    Thanks so much for the link that you put up Redhawk! I live in Christiana, Tennessee just south of Murfreesboro. My Father passed away August the 8th, 2016 and had several Bee Hives. I took six of them to keep them going in memory of him and also because I was always interested in keeping bees. My sister and her husband keep bees also and they took the rest of the hives. I talked with my Dad often about how he took care of his bees and what and when he did things. I am a High School Math and Science Teacher, and have taught Biology for many years. Since I got my Dad's bees, I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about them. I was so glad to see your post because it relates directly with me since I also live in Tennessee. I also read all of Walt Wright's articles since they relate directly with my area and the time frame. I am in the process of reading and watching the Nashville Area Beekeepers videos and reading the articles on their site. There is a lot of really good information on a lot of sources but the timeline is often different because of the climate. That is what makes Mr. Wright's articles and the Nashville Bee Keeping Organization a really good reference. I am also going to join the Rutherford County Bee Association as soon as I can get to one of their meetings.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    Ron Marshall

Redhawk,

U also on tndeer?
    Zone 7a - 1650ft

No, Spur9, not me.

Sorry, to hear about your loss, Ron. I'm sure your Dad is proud of you for taking up where he left off. Walt Wright is a great source of info. I understand Rutherford Co. has a good group so I hope you do get to set in with them. And you're welcome to join us any time. Best of luck with your new adventure!

Redhawk,
    I just signed up for the NABA 2017 Advanced Winter Workshop on January 14. It will may be over my head, but I though I could get to meet some of your all in the NABA. Look forward to coming to it.

Great, Ron! Not to worry. Write your questions down as they come up & we'll find answers. I'll be there & I'll be looking for you. Thanks for signing up!

Great videos. Thanks for posting

Glad you enjoyed, countryboyky. Best of luck.

Hey Redhawk,
    Went to the Bee Workshop in Nashville this weekend. My son and I went. We both enjoyed it very much and learned a lot. Was hoping to see you there but there were so many bee keepers and I am sure you had your real name on your name tag and not Redhawk. Thanks for your help.
    Ron

Thanks for the link to Nashville Area Beekeepers Association Virtual Bee School. Very helpful videos.

And thank you for checking it out, Flipped. Ron, Sorry I missed you at the class. It had been a hectic week leading up to class date. Good you have your son involved too! Hope you two can make it to our Feb meeting. Let me know & we'll definitely meet up. Best of

The site looks good Redhawk. I like how you can just follow at your own pace.

Just a thought, maybe after each video, have a few "Related links" to other videos or articles that go along with the topic to give a variety of sources. That's just my 2 cents to help out.