Pesticides in candles?

Question Pesticides in candles?

Looking for opinions, thoughts and insight.... Another beekeeper/candle maker on a different site had concerns with using anything but capping wax for any product using beeswax. He said he believed that wax was contaminated with pesticides, and shouldn't be used. He believed that capping wax was the cleanest/least contaminated, and that was all he used.

While I agree that wax can have pesticide contamination, is it really unsafe to use in lip balm, soap making, candle making, and other applications? What about making your own foundation, using your own wax?

I'd love other points of view.

Thanks!

Ubiewan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Pesticides in candles?

Candle wax should not be a problem because the common miticides are destroyed by burning.

Wax used for face cream etc should ideally be miticide free, although in some of the commercial formulations incorporating beeswax, there is only just enough beeswax to allow them to write beeswax on the label, any contaminants would be quite dilute.

I would venture that using only cappings wax would quickly become cost prohibitive.

Might find a TF beekeeper to get some wax from.

I try and separate my wax before I melt it. Capping, honeycomb, and brood comb. I use capping and honeycomb wax for soap, lip balm and candle making. The brood comb I will also use for candle making, but typically use it for making floor waxes, and crafters like it for whatever they use it for. I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on the pesticide content of wax.

"People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney