2016 USDA Bee and Honey Inquiry

Default 2016 USDA Bee and Honey Inquiry

Got my USDA Bee and Honey Inquiry form in the mail today. Later, I was in the honey house bottling some honey and there was a knock on the door. There he was...the USDA guy...wanting to fill out the form. Criminy....I just got it today!

They must have me figured out. Why waste phone calls and such. I don't understand why they bother mailing the form...the guy brought a copy with him.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 2016 USDA Bee and Honey Inquiry

dang, what in the world did you do dan to show up on their radar?

just kidding, but to me an example of wasteful government spending, i.e. one of the jobs that might well be on the chopping block next year?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    an example of wasteful government spending, i.e. one of the jobs that might well be on the chopping block next year?
    I do have to give them some credit. The guy that has come here for the past three years is a USDA retiree who works part time. The advantage to the agency is that they can hire an experienced person with a work history for a fraction of what he was paid as a full time employee.
    On the other hand, as someone who works long hours for a pittance and never seems to get caught up....I resent that a government agency that I support fiscally has enough fluff to arrive on my doorstep the same day as the survey.....regardless of how they manage to do it.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

were you able to glean any useful insight from the gentleman with respect to what he has been hearing in the field?
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    were you able to glean any useful insight from the gentleman with respect to what he has been hearing in the field?
    I think I may be the only beekeeper in his territory. He always seems to catch me in the middle of something and appears happy to stand still for an explanation while I'm getting to a stopping point....then acts like he's never seen anything like it. Or....maybe he's just a good actor.

How does one end up on their list of people to send the inquiry to? I am assuming you must be a commercial beekeeper. I just can't imagine them showing up at my house to ask about the 100 pound of honey my bees made this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    How does one end up on their list of people to send the inquiry to?
    I volunteered for this. I now regret it. A NASS guy did a talk at a beekeeping convention. Said that the state of GA only showed 5000 hives.....total....for the entire state. Heck...I know a number of GA beekeepers with that many hives each. The NASS guy said federal funding was driven by those numbers. So...I put myself on the list.
    Then...they decided that I should fill out their quarterly loss report too. I didn't ask for that. I've told them that I do not want to receive that again. We will see.
    If I had it to do over....I wouldn't sign up. I don't believe it really does us any good.

You wont even get off the list when you die. They are more intrusive than skunks on a feeding frenzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    They are more intrusive than skunks on a feeding frenzy.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

I hear ya Dan. I received the 2 headed monster (quarterly loss survey AND bee and honey inquiry) this week as well. Just waiting for the onslaught of follow up calls that continue even after I have taken the time to do the online filings. I just hate answering these questions over the phone as it always takes me a bit to do the due diligence it takes to give accurate numbers.
    In the case of the loss survey it always amazes me that they will begin asking what your December 31st hive numbers before December 31st even arrives. Shoot, I haven't seen my bees in 6 weeks. Hold on ma'am let me shine up my crystal ball........
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I find these surveys very obtrusive and as squarepeg mentioned a waste of government resources. I suspect that everyone that is a member of a state bee club gets the same survey, regardless if you have one hive or 1000.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

It took me longer to fill out the form than it did to process my 3 quarts of honey.

Used to have to answer USDA questions about our former hog farm. I recall that it was 2 years after we called it quits before we finally no longer received a mailed questionnaire and phone calls.