What a sad day for this local keeper

Exclamation What a sad day for this local keeper

What a sad day for this local Michigan keeper. Bees already struggling to stay alive and some one does this.

http://nbc25news.com/news/local/beek...me-of-his-bees

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: What a sad day for this local keeper

That is very sad indeed, but I can't not make fun of the fact that they called his hives "bee containers", "bee hive boxes", and then just "supers". Also, is it common to winter them in 2 deeps and 5 mediums in Michigan? And without ratchet straps or any other form of wind protection? Bears aren't a problem, no need for an electric fence?

I better go check on my bee containers..

Sad. Usually winter here in Michigan with two deeps and a medium. No bears in this area but ratchet straps should have been used.

I'm also not sure what the situation is with that. Right now I have mine in 3 deeps. I dont put straps around mine but I do wrap in roofing paper and have bricks on top for wind. If this happened just last night I wouldn't be surprised if it was wind. The wind was BAD last night. Bears here are not a problem. They are about 1-2 hours north of here but are making appearances around this area now.

Pic must be a few days old looking at the amount of snow on the ground. With the rain Saturday and 50 degree temp. on Sunday most of the snow has melted. Also, some hives looked tipped over to the back and some sideways. Definitely on purpose.

I noticed that to. It looks like it's almost time to mow my grass again here.

Snow on the ground but none on the hive bottoms so the hives were tipped into the snow. Can't do that without leaving tracks, might just lead out to the road, but I'd have followed the backtrack to see where it went.
    Bill

That is not a bear attack. Bear would have torn those hives apart and everything would have been scattered and broken. No need to ask how I know. The varmits here have no brain and an evil heart.

Even if the beekeeper had used ratchet straps, those intent on doing damage will find a way. 90% of people know how a tie-down strap works. In my area anyway.

That's probably 20-30 miles from me. No bears around here. I don't know who's they are but that is as sad as morons that tip over head stones.

I'd be tracking the animals that did that.

Wind? Anyone who has em that tall on blocks and not strapped is looking for a problem.

I lost 8 hives last year due to wind.
    Won't make that mistake twice.

There is a post on Facebook from the daughter of the keeper. It is confirmed that it was done by humans. The hives have been re stacked in hopes of salvaging something.

Looks like all the deeps are still together. If the cluster is still down in the deeps they might be OK. Bees can be pretty resilient sometimes. Finger crossed.

I wonder what this means. Could be they were sprayed with some type of pesticide if he's worried about contaminated honey. Not enough information in the article.

The beekeper says some of the bees have been killed and possibly the honey contaminated.
    To everything there is a season....

Had a hive get knocked over by a dear in hunting season last year it was alive when I found it ice on their honey, restacked it but it didn't make it.