Thick syrup and pump trouble. What's the problem here? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Thick syrup and pump trouble. What's the problem here?

Does a trash pump work well for 2:1 syrup ? It would nice to be able to use the pump to both mix and fill.
    Adam - Zone 5A
    www.adamshoney.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Yes 2:1 is what I use, got to be upfront and say I haven't done it in freezing conditions like the OP though. It's a 2 inch pump with snap on hose fittings, so I can snap on a 2 inch pipe which goes back into the tank for mixing, or snap on a one inch hose for feeding. The pipe from the tank to the pump is 2 inch. Seen one guys set up he has a 2 inch pipe permanently plumbed back to the tank for mixing, and the one inch hose permanently plumbed for feeding, and controls which one gets used with two gate valves.

Myself I have found a not permanently mounted mixing pipe useful because even though I start out mixing with the water close to boiling, as sugar is added cooling the mix and it's getting thick, the sugar can go into bag sized lumps and best way to break them up is point the pipe directly at them. Once all sugar is added and in suspension I'll leave the pump on for 5 or 10 minutes to really churn it up and job done, don't want any grains left undissolved to start crystalising.

The other thing with a trash pump is the engine crankshaft mounts directly onto the pump impellor, there is no loss of power in transfer via a belt or gears, the full horse power of the enging is transferred directly to the impellor so there is plenty of grunt. Trash pumps run at low pressure, mine is around 3 atmospheres so little risk of popping hoses or fittings, for feeding I only run it just above idle though, more is getting up there a bit in terms of forces on things and speed it will come out the end, don't want it blasting into the feeders as I use straw in them.

Oldtimer - Is this the trash pump your using?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5487_200585487

I think that one is a model or 2 up from the one I use. I've lost the link to the actual one I purchased but this looks exactly like it.

http://www.riequip.co.nz/shop/Buy+Wa...ered+Pump.html

One thing, the pull start can be unscrewed by undoing 4 screws and rotated 180. This makes the pull start workable from the same side as the on off switch and the direction the hose comes off which is more convenient if using to feed out from a tank.

The specs describe it as self priming, but for syrup it isn't.The impellor housing has a removable plug top and bottom it's easy (no tools required) to undo the top one and pour some water or syrup in there to get things started, once it's been primed it will then run through any number of stops and starts without need to be primed again.

The cost of my one is a lot less than the one you linked also.

This one looks pretty good and much more reasonable. I'm looking for a smaller and lighter unit for the UTV and pickup truck. Also need a fire pump for the homestead.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8133_200418133

I think that's the same one .

If it's the same one I got, not only the pull start can be rotated, but also the outlet hose housing so you can point it whichever direction you want.

A well designed and tidy unit.

Too late to order your Christmas present MTN-Bees?

Quote Originally Posted by MTN-Bees View Post
    This one looks pretty good and much more reasonable. I'm looking for a smaller and lighter unit for the UTV and pickup truck. Also need a fire pump for the homestead.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8133_200418133

$469 us is $680 nz, real close

Thin it down to 50-55% solids. Toss in a little Thymol for fermentation prevention. Bit cold for most Cali bees to be drinking cold beer this time of year.

I have this pump and am very pleased with it.

A cautionary tale for anyone buying one of these pumps. They are shipped without oil in the sump.

Another beekeeper who bought one called me to ask for help why he couldn't get it to start, he'd been trying for ages apparently. Turns out he omitted to put the supplied oil into the sump, the motor has protection that will not allow the engine to run with low oil, so the guy had been wearing himself out trying to make it start. Called me back a few minutes later, had put the oil in, and bingo, started no worries.

Those trash pumps retain fluid in the pump housing to allow them to reprime themselves, so if you have freezing temperatures to contend with either store it in a warm spot, or be careful to drain the housing. Once you drain the housing the pump won't reprime until you put some fluid back into the housing.
    Bill

If you pump something that will ferment, I'd make sure to clean it out too if you're not using it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Ok, so first, you shouldn't be feeding syrup at this time of year anyway, get those bees heavy in the fall, syrup stimulates them to fly bad idea right now in this weather, also the shortest day of the year bees should be sleeping right now. So on to your question, you really need to warm the syrup if at all possible, make a make shift oven over the tote. Best of luck.
    Thanks for the heads up Kieth. Is this the right time of year to start giving them pollen sub patties? I'm hoping to split these hives at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by RDY-B View Post
    If you are feeding pro sweet this time of year-you have to thin it
    I thought about that but was concerned that the extra moisture would mess up the bees rather than help them.

Wouldn't putting moisture in the hives be bad for the bees?

Splitting before almonds?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Splitting before almonds?
    No. I wish my bees were that strong. I'd like to get them split earlier in the year so they can build up really good so maybe next year I'll have couple hundred really great looking hives.

pro sweet is like 3-1--you need to thin down to 2-1-to pump this time of year
    are you wanting to put on whieght or stimulate some brood ?any time night temps
    are below 45 degrees its tough for the bees to take sryup -they are in tight cluster
    at night and depending on day time temps dont break cluster till mid day--I started
    feeding sub at the end of october-my bees generaly fly all winter-except for the cold
    snaps--there is a cold snap coming--gave some sub to bees yesterday--so did other
    keepers in the area----is that your set of bees on payne ave across from the feed store
    looks like grass has grown over the entraces--hard to see from the road--ventilation
    and air transfer is very important--i never see anybody working those bees--drive
    past several times a week on my way to work bees--there are no short cuts but all the efort
    pays off good luck--- RDY-B

Keith is right, this is not the time of year to feed syrup. Save that effort and the resources for when it will do the bees a world of good. If the end goal is too split the bees once, then do it after the almonds and feed them whatever amount they need to met your end goals. It will be so much easier and you have a reasonnable chnce of success. Feeding syrup now is a sure not to be able to achieve your end goals.

Duplicate the behavior of "succesful" beekeepers in the area and that also increases your odds of success.

I use a trash pump like the one shown by Oldtimer. It can mix granular sugar and water, then be used to feed, however I find it somewhat lacks in pressure, so it takes a bit of time to fill the frame feeders. It does get the job done though.

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc

Yeah it's a good time to put on some sub, if the hives are large enough they can eat it during this cold snap next week. I've been putting on a little bit of Nutrabee since October and hives were starting to brood up again so now's a good time to put on a good amount to keep them going.

Quote Originally Posted by RDY-B View Post
    pro sweet is like 3-1--you need to thin down to 2-1-to pump this time of year
    are you wanting to put on whieght or stimulate some brood ?any time night temps
    are below 45 degrees its tough for the bees to take sryup -they are in tight cluster
    at night and depending on day time temps dont break cluster till mid day--I started
    feeding sub at the end of october-my bees generaly fly all winter-except for the cold
    snaps--there is a cold snap coming--gave some sub to bees yesterday--so did other
    keepers in the area----is that your set of bees on payne ave across from the feed store
    looks like grass has grown over the entraces--hard to see from the road--ventilation
    and air transfer is very important--i never see anybody working those bees--drive
    past several times a week on my way to work bees--there are no short cuts but all the efort
    pays off good luck--- RDY-B
    I see the cold snap your talking about. Looks like its going to get down right cold for a week or so.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast