New Loader?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Loader?

Default New Loader?

I've been researching a new loader. Of course the main loaders are Hummerbee and Swinger. I noticed Avant has started selling their loaders in the US. The one thing I really like is it seems to be a multi-purpose machine with the number of attachments that can be purchased. Is anyone out their using the Avant loader? If so, how do they compare in operation and price to the Hummerbee and Swinger?
    Last edited by MTN-Bees; 12-18-2016 at 02:08 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: New Loader?

I actually looked at one of their smaller models at a dealership in Sioux Falls and thought they looked intriguing. I have no idea how pricing might compare. It appears that you would have to get up into their 500 series to be comparable to a Hummerbee or a Swinger. I sure wouldn't be afraid to try one if they are price competitive and they had a local dealership where you could test drive one and that you had confidence in for service and repair. Frankly, local parts and service is something the others don't currently offer.
    http://www.avanttecno.com/www/us/machines/500-series/
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I picked up a lightly used Kubota r520s. Bigger a heavier than a hummerbee or swinger, but way more versatile(quick attach anything from snow blades to buckets to forks, even backhoes for the back).
    Lift capacity of 5000ish, and with load arms instead of a mast, it can reach across a truck bed to load the other side.

VERY NICE MACHINES, HAVE USED THEM, USED SCARCE AS HENS TEETH, ALSO WEIGHS 8980 lbs, hard to find a all in one machine

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    VERY NICE MACHINES, HAVE USED THEM, USED SCARCE AS HENS TEETH, ALSO WEIGHS 8980 lbs, hard to find a all in one machine
    The odd one comes across Ritchie Bros. yes, a bit heavy to pull around behind a 1ton.

I live and work in areas that are steep, rocky, and very muddy in the winter. My older Bobcat has a tough time in the terrain. Some of the sites are tight enough I can't turn the truck and trailer around. So I have to disconnect the trailer turn the truck around and then put the trailer back on with the loader. The roads are also steep mountain roads, so a heavy machine is not going to work for me as I have a Ram 4500. If I can't find a good multi purpose loader that will work, I will likely get a Hummerbee or Swinger for bees and a used tractor setup for the homestead.

Lol. That sounds a lot like my beeyards. Load one side , turn the truck around then load the other.
    Not to change the subject , but does anyone use a Hummerbee trailer to haul a Swinger Superbee? That is a very maneuverable trailer that should work in those tight spots.

We have an Avant and are very pleased with it. We purchased the 500 series. The price was about 38k with a bucket loader and forks. I am buying the bush hog next year to tackle the florida grass.

Get the superbee 1k. Very tough machine.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1954 View Post
    We have an Avant and are very pleased with it. We purchased the 500 series. The price was about 38k with a bucket loader and forks. I am buying the bush hog next year to tackle the florida grass.
    Their list of options is incredible. Even a "beehive mover"
    http://www.avanttecno.com/www/us/attachments/#cat=0&ser[]=259
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I have seen bees loaded with just about every machine that has ever been made and have heard stories of even more. I have run swingers and hummers and have been around lots of my neighbors that run only bobcats with masts. If your goal is attachments then great, but if you want to load bees fast and effortlessly then stick with a machine created for the task at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    I have seen bees loaded with just about every machine that has ever been made and have heard stories of even more. I have run swingers and hummers and have been around lots of my neighbors that run only bobcats with masts. If your goal is attachments then great, but if you want to load bees fast and effortlessly then stick with a machine created for the task at hand.
    I agree and currently own 3 types of loaders myself but is there something about the avant that you feel dosent make it a good option for loading bees?

Jim, One thing they do have is a ton of attachments. wow must be 40 different kinds.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Jim, One thing they do have is a ton of attachments. wow must be 40 different kinds.
    Yes, and I have no idea how they would meet the needs of beekeepers. The OP inquired about them and we got a couple of first hand reports. Just reading the the literature they would seem to meet the basic specs and my thoughts were that they have the potential be a good option if you have a good local dealer. The telescoping mast is an interesting idea and a feature none of their competitors have.

They seem to be light, powerful, and very versatile. Made in Finland and shipped all over the world. They are trying to take a piece of the North American skid steer market, according to their website.
    Here is a youtube video I found:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2vFRHe9Eho
    I would like to see the hive loader mast in action.

I sent the rep an email last night and he responded and is getting some info together for me. One question I had about the mast is if it has a side to side shift function. It does not look like it does. There is an attachment plate that allows you to tilt the load side to side which is an advantage on uneven ground.

One time I saw an ad in the journal for an articulated forklift similar to a swinger. It was a waldon. It was priced right for us as a back up forklift. We drove there and bought it. Similarly to the avant the operator sat on the front axel of the machine. On every level it was unhandy. For not every operating an avant, I don't know how it would compare. Also, I wouldn't like to only get in on one side, it would mean to straighten a lid or box or to get on or off on the trailer you may have to walk around the back or front to get in or out. Vs getting in or out on either side. Small things matter to me, but imagine if the door handle broke on one of your trucks and you had only one door to get in. When I have to move bees, I want to get out of the drivers door, unlatch the trailer jump on to the forklift and have it backed off in seconds. My time matters to me more than anything else to me, and I wish I had known that when I was younger and dumber. I could have made way more money by buying the right things for the job vs the wrong things.

Ya, the one side entry is my only real gripe with our Swinger. Guess for me its not a deal breaker, though, because the machine has so many other good features. In our operation when the Swinger sits beside the Hummer it seems like everyone always jumps on the Hummerbee first.

Options are good if you use them...

Jim, are you comparing the 1k to an older hummerbee? All the new machines have entry from one side. Less arm strain on the newer machines.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast