looking for a VSH queen breeder that will ship to texas

Default looking for a VSH queen breeder that will ship to texas

Im looking for a queen provider that has VSH and gentle traits that will do well in SE Texas. I don't care as much about honey production.

I have decided my current 3 queens are just a bit too hot. They seem to be especially defensive about every 3rd time I open them up and they have stung family members 50 yds away on occasion. 3-4 will almost always follow me 100yds+ after the inspection. Since I have my hives in my yard, I would prefer more gentle bees.

Bweaver is fairly close but there are reviews from 2011 and before that their bees are a bit defensive. Not sure if they've resolved that.

Are there any recommendations for queen providers for VSH queens? I would replace them in early spring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: looking for a VSH queen breeder that will ship to texas

Broke-T (Johnny Thompson) out of Mississippi is a member here. I have personally bought VSH queens from Johnny and found his service to be excellent and his queens productive and gentle.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper and Rusty's Bees.

I have got bweaver queens the last two years haven't had any problems with them. Work them in t shirt and shorts no gloves.

this is good to know!

Darrel Rufer has great Min hygienic queens. He winters in South East Texas next to Louisiana. His number is in the ABJ in the for sale section. He is a great person to work with and so are his bees.

I bought some from Wildflower Meadow this fall. They came highly recommended by Hillary (Beekeeping like a Girl). The workers that came in my box of 10 queens were gentle as can be. I haven't worked the bees much since I installed them in October, but I can see through the windows of the hive that they are plugging right along.

http://wildflowermeadows.com/queen-bees-for-sale/

Quote Originally Posted by shaneTX View Post
    Im looking for a queen provider that has VSH and gentle traits that will do well in SE Texas. I don't care as much about honey production.

I have decided my current 3 queens are just a bit too hot. They seem to be especially defensive about every 3rd time I open them up and they have stung family members 50 yds away on occasion. 3-4 will almost always follow me 100yds+ after the inspection. Since I have my hives in my yard, I would prefer more gentle bees.

Bweaver is fairly close but there are reviews from 2011 and before that their bees are a bit defensive. Not sure if they've resolved that.

Are there any recommendations for queen providers for VSH queens? I would replace them in early spring.
    Hi Shane,

Try the folks who are listed at the link below; you should be able to find some good VSH expressing queens!

http://vpqueenbees.com/buy/production-queens

Good Luck!
    Adam
    http://vpqueenbees.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the bee guy View Post
    I have got bweaver queens the last two years haven't had any problems with them. Work them in t shirt and shorts no gloves.
    Had to tape my bee suit legs to my boots when I worked with them. Requeened out of them all. Too hot for me.

Joey Bordelon in Louisiana has great queens out of Marla Spivaks breeders. I have about 300 of them and their good bees.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lee View Post
    Had to tape my bee suit legs to my boots when I worked with them. Requeened out of them all. Too hot for me.
    Maybe I'm a bee whisperer

Maybe so? Another possibility is you got one of their regular Italian queens that they have been selling the last couple of years. These are different than their old line. Even BeeWeaver admits this and says you will need chemicals to control varroa with these queens. Their old stock swarms way too often to worry about varroa. Winter on the other hand?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lee View Post
    Maybe so? Another possibility is you got one of their regular Italian queens that they have been selling the last couple of years. These are different than their old line. Even BeeWeaver admits this and says you will need chemicals to control varroa with these queens. Their old stock swarms way too often to worry about varroa. Winter on the other hand?
    Had one queen that did the swarm thing the thing was nuts about swarming but didn't sting. Winter up here will eliminate the swarming the rest seem to be doing ok. All the queens I got were dark in color not that means much any more.