Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Old world carniolans

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Cedar Hill 
#1 ·
Trying to find a breeder. Any help will be appreciated

#10 ·
There may be a subtle reason why the question was asked. I started my pollination business with "Old World Carniolans" in the early 1960's. At that time, the breed was well known as being prolific swarming hives. I would come into my apiaries and the swarms would be hanging from the branches. It was like picking very large bunches of grapes. In approximately 5 years I had 350 hives. They were very difficult to control as far as swarming was concerned. Sue Cobey probably saw it as an opportunity as otherwise it is a wonderful bee. Now down to just a few hives but I have been using her New World Carniolans ever since she introduced them to the market. Wonderful piece of work she has done. Would never willingly go back to the Old World Carniolans although I observed one of my hives being usurped by a small swarm this past summer and it was easily over a 100 lbs. going into the winter and is booming in strength mid- March. Has all the appearances that someone in my neighborhood may have the "Old World Carniolans" If so, I will be able to fill my winter dead-outs with that hive alone, when the drones start flying. OMTCW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.