Does anyone in the USA sell queens in winter?

Default Does anyone in the USA sell queens in winter?

My hive has developed sacbrood and seems to have gone queenless. I don't think they will be successful in replacing her due to the virus. Does anyone know where I can purchase a queen at this time of year? All the places I've checked are sold out until next spring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Does anyone in the USA sell queens in winter?

I think a Hawaiian breeder does

Yep. Long queen can most likely have one out to you tomorrow.

(808) 328-9016

Kona queens from HI, eh.
    Too bad they did not mention about being mite resistant there.
    Hopefully your mite load is low enough now.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Check around with the local bee clubs. Sometimes you can pick up a queen from someone who is combining hives.

>My hive has developed sacbrood

Get a new queen but I would also get confirmation from the lab, they will test for free. There are a lot of other things that look similar, which may come back even after a new queen.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=7458

Not saying this is the case, but almost every time sac brood was suspected it turned out to be EFB after lab confirmation.

Thanks for the replies. No luck with Kona Queens. They're done shipping for the year but also have a 20 queen minimum order. I've emailed several companies in Florida and asked my local bee shop but they couldn't help me. Just bad timing. The hive is filling up with drone brood, from laying workers I assume, but there is actually one sealed queen cell somehow so I'll just have to keep trying and wait and see what happens.

Maybe you will have a mated queen if things work out for you. Are there still drones flying in your area?
    Between now and up to the almond runs, queens are a very scarce commodity. Many will use them to make the
    early Spring nucs for sale. Some will use them to restock the dead out. http://vpqueenbees.com/buy/production-queens
    You can go through this list to see if anyone has the queen for sale now.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by miacps View Post
    Thanks for the replies. No luck with Kona Queens. They're done shipping for the year but also have a 20 queen minimum order. I've emailed several companies in Florida and asked my local bee shop but they couldn't help me. Just bad timing. The hive is filling up with drone brood, from laying workers I assume, but there is actually one sealed queen cell somehow so I'll just have to keep trying and wait and see what happens.
    Desperate bees will use a drone larvae in an attempt to make a queen. If they draw the queen cell out pencil thin, you know it's a "drag queen".

Is it possible for workers to make a piping noise? I was poking around in the hive today and kept hearing a long, single piping noise. I found the bee making the noise but it appeared to be a regular worker.