Big fat bees winter orientation flights today!

Default Big fat bees winter orientation flights today!

What a nice sunny day in the 50s. Night is too cold for me. Don't know about
    the bees though. I finally got the mite resistant bees to play with. :0

Here it is:
    https://youtu.be/SpjQuhmGr2k

https://youtu.be/iCYC_US4B8g
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Big fat bees winter orientation flights today!

Thank you Beepro all I can do is put my ear too the hive and listen to the buzz. We have some light snow falling this morning and I have a long wait till April.

Haa, ha! Don't get stuck with an ear on the side of the box. Too cold anyway!
    What if you can put a plexiglass inside next to the screw in side board. Unscrew the
    side board with an electric driver to see your winter bees then put it back on. Almost like
    an observation hive. Not that hard to cut a plexiglass for this.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

You don't realize how cold it gets up here if I did that all I would see is a frame of capped honey. Today is a warm day in the 20s a couple of years ago we had 38 below for a week.

In that case you have to install the plexiglass on the top cover somehow to
    observe the hive directly from above. I think you already wrap all your hives now.
    This year because of the mild winter we don't have to wrap them yet. Besides, they are
    so strong now that additional heat source or wrapping the hive is not needed. I have to make
    another batch of patty subs for them to fuse the big fat winter bees again. Only 0-2 mites per
    hatch cycle now. I'll continue to monitor the mites when weather permits. This will ensure a strong
    Spring hive on the expansion mode. Looks like I'll be doing another hive expansion next Spring also.

This little conversation has made me realize how differant beekeeping can in warm climates. Looks like I'm going to do some beekeeping tourism in the future. Of course I'll do it in the winter.