Need a little advice
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    hendersonville tn
    Posts
    287

    Default Need a little advice

    I just made my first candle. Bought Mann lake flex mold. One of the Christmas tree molds. My issue is that the candle won't come out. No spray was used. I have it in the freezer now but a real pain in the butt. Should I get some spray and use it on the molds with more details? Or is the first time blues that test us.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO United States
    Posts
    1,373

    Default Re: Need a little advice

    Make the split on the side of the mold longer? Mold release may be your friend in the future, but someone once posted on Beesource that it will eat away at the inside of the mold. I wonder how long that would take? However, these molds come with instructions to use a light spray of mold release before filling.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Macon, GA USA
    Posts
    1,036

    Default Re: Need a little advice

    The only time I've seen candles stick in their molds like that is if the wax was poured too hot. Pour temp shouldn't be higher than 160-165F.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Grosse Ile, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,021

    Default Re: Need a little advice

    Yes, pouring too hot will cause them to stick more. Also, I find it is better to remove the candle from the mold soon after it is completely hardened, rather than let it sit in there for many hours or overnight. You have to be careful that you don't remove it too quick in those flex molds or the wick will just pull through the candle without the candle coming out. Experience will tell you when the right time is. I also don't like using mold release spray, as I think it causes a hard residue or buildup to occur in the mold (talking about pillar candles and the like, not necessarily tapers), and then when you pour succeeding candles in the mold, the build up causes the candle to have imperfections on the outside, instead of it being nice and smooth all around. You can scrub out the buildup if it occurs, between pours, but its a pain to do so IMO.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •