Medium nuc availability- western ny

Default Medium nuc availability- western ny

HI everyone,
    Just posting to see if anyone knows of medium nuc sources in western NY. I live near batavia. I have a couple all-medium setups ready to go, but now that I am emailing for nucs, I can't find anyone that has them (and others that haven't replied to emails). At this point I may just pick up two deeps, one for each hive to get the nucs installed. Before I do that- any suggested medium nuc suppliers?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Medium nuc availability- western ny

contact Ben and Kim at Hungry Bear Farm in Canandaigua and ask if they will make up a couple of medium nucs for you.
    hungrybearfarms.com

I personally hate dealing with medium Nucs. Hope to never have to make another one. They can swarm at the drop of the hat.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/grd/5897281785.html

here is a local guy that specializes in Med. nucs.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Sunday Farmer here on BeeSource. PM him

99% of the nucs produced are going to be of the size "deep". If you want early spring nucs i suggest you adapt to the norm. Or expect to wait and pay significantly higher prices.

Even if your adaptation is to have just the one deep under your mediums and let the girls move up on their own, you will be light years ahead. You can even pull the deep later in the year, as a nuc, and sell it off

Aaron

They can be baited up and supered early. After that, yes, the three extra missing inches adds up.
    I transferred some triples to 10 frame equipment and placed a deep ontop. All drew out. Had to be fed for winter, but still.

Sunday Farmer and AstroZomBEE are right. Medium nucs are a pain in the ... I sell about 100 deep nucs (5 frame) a year and every year one or two people ask for a medium. For many years I would accomodate them, but for the past three I have had to say I cannot do so.

I figure that a good five frame nuc with deeps requires EIGHT medium frames to duplicate. As I want all my frames to be fully drawn and 'reasonably' full of either brood or honey/pollen, that used to require that the mediums be started with two boxes (each) or eighteen frames. My experience was that if I only used one box, or 9 frames, I could not get eight 'good' frames to put in a nuc as the outside frames would not be well occupied. (When I deliver a deep nuc it contains 3+ frames of brood with the remaining frames reasonably filled with nectar/pollen. For a medium nuc I would want it to contain 5+ frames of brood and the remaining frames reasonably filled with nectar/pollen.)

Of course, I could deliver a five-frame medium nuc...but my conscience would bother me as this would not really be enough bees/brood and the purchaser is usually someone who is a new beekeeper and no one wants them to fail.

So, if you are determined to work with mediums try starting with a deep and then 'converting'. But...have you considered eight-frame equipment? If you chose mediums because of weight, eight-frame equipment might work just as well. Give it some thought, and good luck.
    Lloyd Spear