Trying to figure out this wax melter

Default Trying to figure out this wax melter

So I bought this wax melter, the hot knife machine, and a 30 frame extractor from someone all for 300 dollars - steal of a deal I know
    They were made by a company called Pac-King. I tried searching for it online and found nothing. It used to belong to a Sioux Bee Honey employee years ago, but he ended up selling all his stuff and landed in some guys scrap yard. Long story short I ended up getting it. So far it seems that it all works (already used the extractor this season) But I just can't figure out how this melter works. I think I figured out the hot knife; it looks like the hot water from the wax melter circulates up and through the hot knife back into the wax melter. I can't figure out how to introduce water into the thing either. And there's also a bunch of pipes and doohickies on the front of the melter that I haven't the slightest clue on. Any info on this to help me get this thing running would be great!

I created an Imgur album with loads of pictures of this thing http://imgur.com/a/3opWn

Thanks a bunch fellas!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Trying to figure out this wax melter

Brushy Mountain sells a Wax Master except it is round. Maybe yours is similar.

Hi Aaronm

What you've got is a typical extracting setup from the 50's. Back then, heated by steam, a second extractor, and with a vertical vibrating knife, such a setup was often used by a family sized commercial beekeeper of 1500 hives. I was introduced to beekeeping with this kind of equipment.

Your equipment appears to have an electric heater that heats the water and a pump to circulate it through the knife, rather than steam. The pipe on the long side would act as an overflow for water expansion and contraction.

The 2 pipes on the far end of the melter are for the wax and honey. The honey pipe can be rotated to control the height of the honey inside the tank. It's adjusted so that the honey level is high enough to cause the melted wax to overflow the box on the right and flow out the pipe. Yet, low enough to prevent honey from overflowing with the melted wax.

The pipe is adjusted based on temperatures, throughput, the amount of accumulated slumgun, etc.

Most I've seen use another kind of setup. Rather than have the levels adjusted on the inside of the melter with just one adjustment, those pipes are removed. A nipple, then a 90 elbow, then a length of pipe a little taller than the tank, another 90, and another nipple are attached to each outflow outside the tank. They are loose enough to be rotated by hand. Yet tight enough so they don't move by themselves as levels are often adjusted in 1/2" increments.

Set up this way, each flow can be adjusted outside the tank by rotating the standpipes. That makes it much easier and neater. And the honey and wax level can be individually adjusted or individually shut off. A very handy feature when the wax mold is full. And at the end of the day to drain the wax out of the melter.

These melters darken the cappings honey. And if run too hot can burn it. That was a concern using steam. I don't think it would be a problem with your electric heater unless throughput was really slow.

-dm
    Last edited by BWrangler; 11-27-2016 at 03:42 PM.

Thanks for replying! This definitely clears things up for me. After I replace the power cord and rubber hoses, I think I'll try running some water through it and see if It gets that knife nice and hot

I would route the water from the "boiler" to the knife first, then the melter. It may effect the knife temperature.

Crazy Roland

The box that appears to have no function is probably where you are to store the heated knife when you're not using it.

Very cool looking piece of older equipment thanks for posting pictures.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

I'm still not sure where water goes in, at first I thought that box was to store the heated knife like D Coates said but after a closer look there's a hole in the bottom of that box and a pipe leading to the pump so perhaps I just pour some in there?

Alot of the small recirculating water systems use an elevated expansion tank. It has one hose that connects to the boiler. There should be several bleeders, like those found on radiators, to let the air out.

Crazy Roland