Band heater vaporizer. - Page 5
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Band heater vaporizer.

Hello Johno - Did you solder the pieces together or use silver solder? Wish I would have seen this earlier. I bought a band heater on ebay for about $2.7. It is 25mm and 300 watt. I am using a tee with a bottom cap and a top cap and the tee is smaller coming out with the tube for the hive. My first run was outside the hive with no solder. I have soldered the joints now and hope they hold at the temps. Have not tried it again yet. I spent much more on copper components than the heater. Lastly, your tube that goes into the hive, did you just drill a hole in the side and solder it in or did you flare it or something?

Anthony

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

aiannar I used copper silver alloy to weld these things together, so you need oxy acetylene for the job. Those are the same band heaters that I have been using but I am afraid they produce only about 100 to 120 watts, however they can do the job if you are looking at doing a hive a minute with a 41/2 minute pre heat time. I have found that the outlet pipe must be no bigger than 3/16" for best results and that the cap that loads in the OA must seal at the top otherwise too much vapor is lost past the cap. when the system pre heats for 41/2 minutes it gets up to about 500F so the normal tin based solders can't handle that.
    Johno

John - Thank you for the quick response. It looks like I will need to rethink a few things. It might be time to invest in another toy. I do not have oxy acetylene system. - Anthony

Aiannar974 after finding out the hard way that solder melts at 425F, I went and bought a TS4000KC Trigger Start Torch Kit with MAPP gas. I also went to ebay and purchased some 15% silver Brazing Rods which worked out way better then expected. I was able to braze the copper pipe with no problem.

Joe

Thank you for the info. I will be doing something similar.

I am very happy with the latest vaporizer I built, with 2 band heaters and a Mypin temp controller. The unit gets to above 500F in about 2 minutes so I do not need a timer as I can read the temp. when the charge is inserted using the rubber caps the temp drops down to about 330F and then starts rising when it gets above 400 the vaporization is done and the unit can be moved to treat the next hive. By the time the charge is added the temp is again above 500F so the cycle begins again. The time to vaporize is below 30 secs so the treatment time depends on how quickly you can close off entrances and load your charges into the rubber caps. Actual treatment is below a minute a hive but one still has to kit up light the smoker and run out the cod from the inverter but all in all not much more than a minute a hive in a 7 hive yard maybe a total of 10 minutes.
    Johno

Johno
    Did you put the discharge tube above both heaters or between?

Joe

do you have any pictures?

sr4440, the outlet pipe is at the lower half of the upper band heater just below the fixing screw. I will post a pic as soon as I get one done. What I would like to find is a box of sorts that I could mount the temp controller and all the connections into. If it was winter I would try to make drawings and print one, but too much happening at the moment.
    Johno

Here are some pics of the temp controlled 2 band heater vaporizer, This one has a3/4" end cap welded onto the bottom of the 1" copper pipe so that the heater can get closer to the bottom where the OA ends up. Note the rubber caps from Mocap, this has been the best for sealing the top of the vaporizer and no vapor escapes from the top and the device can be left hanging in the hole while you prepare the next hive.IMG_1206.jpgIMG_1208.jpg
    Johno

Hello Johno - I tried to use the one i built today. It is 3/4 end cap with a tee that necked down to 1/4" pipe. I used a 3/4 cap on top with a 3/4 pipe in it to go into the tee. When i flipped the unit it seems the acid slid down the side and sort of froze there. What do think the issues might be? Could it just be only the bottom of the pipe was hot enough?

Anthony

Aiannar, if the OA did not start to boil and vaporize your device has not got hot enough. With one band heater and 21/2" of copper pipe it requires 41/2 minutes to preheat, with 2 band heaters 21/2 minutes to 550F. What band heaters are you using and what type of pipe fittings are you using. Of course the inside of the pipe must be clean as any coating could prevent direct contact to the hot metal. I have found that after a number of treatments the inside of my device needs to be cleaned due to a dark residue the tends to coat the copper bottom and slow down sublimation.
    Johno

Thank you Johno - I put a link of the heater I am using. I am using one. It is 110v and 300 watt - 25mm x 30 mm. They are really cheap and easy to get, I can add another. I am using copper pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-300W-25...72.m2749.l2649

Aiannar, those are the same heaters that I am using. There should be a heater as close to the bottom as possible and it should be ready to vaporize in about 41/2 minutes. If you use 2 heaters you might need to temperature control.
    Johno

MR JOHNO---is the 3/16 copper tube --od or id ---

do U need the temp controller with 2 band heater

MOCAPS hold just enough OXALIC ACID for one hive ----thanks for the info

Allniter the copper pipe is 3/16" OD, it is soft, in coils and you can purchase it by the foot at Ace Hardware. The Mocap hole is quite small and I had to grind it out with a Dremel and a small grind stone but has given me the best seal so far. I would recommend a temperature controller if you use 2 band heaters, if the system temperature gets too high you may have problems with a build up of copper oxide inside the vessel and this will slow down sublimation.
    Johno

Been over this thread several times. Thanks for posting, good stuff. I'm going to try fabricating one soon. One question; is the connection terminal block attached to the band heater or is that purchased separately?

Cervus, the ones I purchased from ebay that had the ceramic terminal block in the illustration all came with the terminal block attached to a metal strip. I removed the attaching screw and cut the metal strip so that I could get the connections closer to the copper pipe otherwise the device would be very long.
    Johno

I built one of these last season, and I think I am going to build a double band one but still not sure what I would need with regards to the temp control unit... one band heater does work but requires a few minutes to reheat between treatments....

Quote Originally Posted by King_Arthur View Post
    I built one of these last season, and I think I am going to build a double band one but still not sure what I would need with regards to the temp control unit... one band heater does work but requires a few minutes to reheat between treatments....
    About how many minutes to reheat? Do you think it's faster than a vaporizer wand that requires cooling-down then reheating? I'm looking for something that won't overheat the OA and that will reduce the time required for the heat-up/cool down-cycle of vaporizer wands.

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast